Researchers for SHAT in France

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
james37

Researchers for SHAT in France

Post by james37 » 17 Feb 2015, 22:24

Does anyone of you guys know a good researchers for the Service historique de l'armée de terre in France? I do not have time to go in France right now and I need some photocopies of the JMO of the 3° D.I.A.

In case you do not know any good research, do you know if it possibile to request photocopies online ?

Thanks ! :)

Eax-E

Re: Researchers for SHAT in France

Post by Eax-E » 19 Feb 2015, 17:06

Hello James,

The SHAT doesn't exist anymore, the for archives (Armée de Terre, Armée de l'air, Marine et Génie) are now grouped under the term SHD. I'm afraid it is not possible to get numerical copies from the SHD. I don't know any researcher. One of the problem you'll face to is the fact that documents are not immediately available. If you find a researcher, you will have to pay him a first time for him to look for the file reference in the inventory, and then a second time (3-4 weeks later !) to take pictures of the documents.
The SHD has a lot of treasures but it's a real tough obstacle course to reach them.

Regards

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 21 Feb 2015, 23:45

hello

request photocopies online was possible few months ago on their website but as they probably received too many requests they stopped that

so now for someone, not a priveleged parisian, interested in military archives he has to write...by paper...to them :roll:
Service Historique de la Défense
Château de Vincennes
Avenue de Paris
94306 Vincennes cedex
France

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... ction.html
having the exact "cote" of the document and what you want e.g. "J.M.O. of..."
and if you want that by paper or by numerical (not sure in this last case it is very cheap and very common) and only for "some" photocopies

after that you will wait 2 months...to receive a "devis" and if you are agree you have to send your payment and have to wait few weeks more

the J.M.O. of the 3e DIA seems to be the cote 11 P 50
the archives of the 3e DIA page 135 from cote 11 P 50 to 11 P 89
http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... 4_0002.pdf

if not try to ask that on some french-speaking WWII forum perhaps someone has already what you search or will have less difficulties to go to the SHAT of Vincennes

Regards
Loïc

james37

Post by james37 » 01 Mar 2015, 15:38

I am sorry to see only now these replies at my post. I understand so it is more complicated than I thought. Visiting the BUndesarchiv is so much easier, I don't understand the french policies!!

@Eax-E: Thank you very much for your infromation, I really don't know that SHAT does not exist anymore and now is all subject to SHD.

@Loic: Two months is a period of time too long for me, I don't have so much time to wait so I probably follow your advice and I am try to post on some WWII french forum toask if someone has what I need. Thank you for the inventary of the files.

Mori

Post by Mori » 03 Mar 2015, 15:46

Contrary to what loïc suggests, research in French military archive is easy and user-friendly. The important point is most of the WWII-related stuff is accessible without reservation.

The procedure is no different than other archives: pre-register on the web (1 minute), go to Vincennes and get your reader's card (5 minutes), then request documents and wait 1-2h until you get them.

The fact you can take pictures is also a plus - just wished the reading room had camera stands like at Kew.

You can order 5 references per day but that's more than enough. These references are boxes of 1000+ pages, and it looks like ou won't get 2-pages files like it occasionnaly happens in other archives.

crolick

Post by crolick » 07 Aug 2016, 23:14

Bumping up.

Is there anyone who know any professional researcher for hire who would travel to Vincennes to make photos of selected files?
I know the signature I just need someone to take the photos.

Or perhaps there is someone on the forum who is visiting SHD and would be willing to help?

Thank you!
Andrzej

Mori

Post by Mori » 08 Aug 2016, 09:36

Send me a pm, I might be able to help. I live next door.

Return to “Archives”