Obtaining Red Army Shtat documents

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Gary Kennedy

Obtaining Red Army Shtat documents

Post by Gary Kennedy » 06 Aug 2015, 17:51

Simple question, is it possible to obtain WW2 era Shtat (organisational table) documents from any Russian archives? Complicating factors being, 1, I'm not Russian, 2, I don't speak Russian and 3, I'm not going to Russia :)

If the answer is yes, how would be the best way to go about it?

Cheers,

Gary

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Re: Obtaining Red Army Shtat documents

Post by Jeff Leach » 07 Aug 2015, 07:58

Get AMVAS's two volumes of Shtat schemas is the best place to start. The two volumes contain more information that I have ever seen before.

Someone has also posted a complete (?) listing of the wartime shtats (I couldn't find the site but the listing is about 30 pages long). If anyone know where the site is can they please post a link.

You are going to need to take the time to learn to read Cryllic and some basic Russian,

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 07 Aug 2015, 12:53

Gary Kennedy wrote:Simple question, is it possible to obtain WW2 era Shtat (organisational table) documents from any Russian archives?
Any Russian archive here means Central Archive of the Russian Defense Ministry in Podolsk (except NKVD or Navy TOEs). As far as I know they don't send any documents or do research work other than standard answers to requests of relatives, any practical research requires personal presence in the archive itself.

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 08 Aug 2015, 20:33

Thanks for the replies; I'll try a message to AMVAS as I'm an occasional poster on ACG.

Cheers,

Gary

Return to “Archives”