Ordering files from Freiburg

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Brian R

Re: Ordering files from Freiburg

Post by Brian R » 01 Mar 2016, 22:29

BramvanS wrote:Hi Brian,

Have you allready verified if NARA also has these files? If so, buying at NARA is possibly cheaper.

Bram
I will confirm but I am almost positive NARA doesn't have them.

pablo287

Post by pablo287 » 01 Mar 2016, 22:33

Brian R wrote:Agreed, Paul. Yes. From what I have seen, research rates can add up. So, as much as the file could cost hundreds of euro (500, for example), it seems that ordering the whole file would be comparable in cost in that I would be asking a researcher to find individual entries at an hourly rate.

As you can see, though, I know little about this process. I really appreciate the feedback from you and Bram.

Brian,

It depends on how specific you can be and how much material you want. If you know the exact information you want and you can be specific it might take a researcher an hour to look through the file and fill out the request form. Researchers charge about 50 euros an hour. I guess it would all depend on how much material you're looking for.

I pulled out my last order from 2015. I ordered 48 x A4 and 12 X A3 copies and the total on CD with all charges costs, etc. was 42,03 euros.

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 01 Mar 2016, 22:43

Great. Thanks! It seems that if I can give the specific RW number then they can find the specific files pretty easily. There are actually five whole files that I would love to have but I know it will ultimately be cost prohibitive. I will look to go the route of a paid researcher. Perhaps you have some recommendations? A recco by PM would be great.

pablo287

Post by pablo287 » 01 Mar 2016, 22:50

Brian R wrote:Great. Thanks! It seems that if I can give the specific RW number then they can find the specific files pretty easily. There are actually five whole files that I would love to have but I know it will ultimately be cost prohibitive. I will look to go the route of a paid researcher. Perhaps you have some recommendations? A recco by PM would be great.
Hi Brian,

I can't give you any specific recommendations on researchers. I'm not a "professional" and I don't know the other guys by reputation. I have a normal job, so I only do work for folks when I have some reason to visit the archives myself---I'm afraid I don't have any research projects at the moment.

I would really give Selke a call before you make any decision.

Mori

Post by Mori » 03 Mar 2016, 13:48

pablo287 wrote: Selke and the archives do some baffling things. I went down and visited with them when I was there a few years ago--I wanted to see how they do things. They do not (unless things have changed) catalog and build up files electronically as people order them--for example, if I order pages 1-10 of X document in file Y they do not save it and just use the electronic copy the next time someone requests it. I just assumed they would--this would cut costs and also minimize the handling of documents. If they are still using the same procedure they physically make copies each and every time a document is requested!
I'm not that surprised with this system, as I have seen equivalent in various places in Germany. It's not that they are stupid. It's more than they do not want a system that eventually cuts the number of jobs. If you point they could be more efficient, they reply that this would jeopardize quality of their work. Once you look into details, you find similar systems here and everywhere in Germany, and I'd call it cultural since all stakeholders are in agreement to make it this way.

To name an example easy to spot for anyone flying: the number of staff and the mindset of security control in German airport shows the system is designed to have as many jobs as possible (whatever the waiting time for travellers). Have a look next time you get there: there are 5-6 people at each station, and never more than 2 are working at a given time ; then compare with London / US airports, or even with France or Italy.

pablo287

Post by pablo287 » 03 Mar 2016, 16:10

It's not that they are stupid. It's more than they do not want a system that eventually cuts the number of jobs.
Yeah, I get that. It's their rice bowl and they don't want it broken.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 01 Jul 2016, 11:48

Good thread. I have to order some docs not available at NARA. Thread answered a few questions I had.

Thanks to all the respondents. I know my docs are not overly large so peace of mind there.

Return to “Archives”