Flak unit records?

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
tmac1397

Flak unit records?

Post by tmac1397 » 13 Oct 2016, 00:07

I am new to the forum and I'm not sure I'm posting to the right topic. I am researching the crash of a B26 Marauder medium bomber that was shot down by German flak near Gavrus/Tourmaville, France on 6/22/1944. My uncle was the tail gunner on this plane. All 8 men aboard the plane were killed in the crash. The remains of 5 of these men have been recovered over the decades, but my uncle's remains and those of two other men remain missing. I have found records which indicate that the plane had just dropped its load when struck in the open bomb bay by a direct hit. The plane exploded, broke up, and crashed about 1 mile west of its target, a chateau near Baron sur Odon that was serving as a German HQ. The witness report vary between seeing no chutes come out, to seeing up to three come out. One crewman was found in August 1944. The military searched the site in 1947, and 1950 but no remains were found. Four more set of remains were found in 1986 by a French farmer. They were buried in a common grave,apparently by the Germans who held the area at the time. Another search was performed but no further remains were found. In 2014 a historian digging at the site found more remains were found at a secondary site about 300 yards from the 1986 recovery. These remains have been identified as belonging to another missing man from the plane although the government has not yet identified this man. The U.S. military is planning an excavation at this site sometime next year and are likely holding off on identification until the site is fully excavated.

What I am trying to find is any records that may exist for any of the flak units that may have been operating in the area on 6/22/1944 to see if they mention the downing of this plane, and the possible disposition of the crew. I have no idea where to start and saw that many people on this forum may have some expert knowledge on the subject. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Flak unit records?

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 13 Oct 2016, 23:28

Hello,
I found this but I guess you know this link:
http://francecrashes39-45.net/page_fiche_av.php?id=555
It may be useful to search at this link:
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... erieLW.htm
But it's also possible that the plane was shot down by a flak unit belonging to a panzerdivision, because the most "Flakdivisions" where used for the defence of the III°Reich and were stationned into the german borders.
Sorry for my poor english and kindly regards from Belgium.
Prosper :wink: :wink:

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 16 Oct 2016, 15:39

Don't get your hopes up. I'm afraid very few Luftwaffe records survived the war. Finding original records from a unit is highly unlikely unfortunately. I would guess it is most likely the plane was downed by elements of the III.Flak-Korps, and to be more specific one of its Flak-Sturm-Regiments. I can check which was in the area and what battalions were part of it. There are however still other options.

Good luck with your search. Hopefully you're unlce's remains will be found one day.

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 27 Oct 2016, 14:30

tmac1397 wrote:Gavrus/Tourmaville, France on 6/22/1944
I need to check my information in more detail, but on 25 June Flak-Sturm-Rgt.4 was in the area. I presume it was there for sometime already, including 22 June. There were three Flak battalions part of this regiment: I./35, I./53 and I./141. In total the were 7,5 heavy, 1,5 medium and 6-3/4 light batteries available to the regiment on 25 June.

tmac1397

Post by tmac1397 » 31 Oct 2016, 23:49

Thank you! Any information you can provide is very helpful. It would be fantastic if any record of the downing of this plane survived the war.

Return to “Archives”