Who was Luftwaffe Major Friedrich (von) Selow?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Rich400

Who was Luftwaffe Major Friedrich (von) Selow?

Post by Rich400 » 18 Sep 2016, 19:10

Hi all
Does anyone know of any information about Luftwaffe Major Friedrich von Selow?

Apparently he was was a decorated fighter pilot in the first world war, and rose through the ranks after flying for Lufthansa between the wars.

He was in a senior role at Berlin Staaken Airport towards the end of the war, and considering the medals I have seen and his photos, he achieved significant awards.

I am asking for a very good friend of mine, who is teaching me to speak some German. He was her father.
She grew up in Berlin, and witnessed the Russians taking the city, so has seen some momentous times.

As a child she has limited memories of her dads occupation, and as far as I can see, there is nothing available on the net.

Can anyone help with this, as any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Larry D.

Re: Who was Luftwaffe Major Friedrich (von) Selow?

Post by Larry D. » 18 Sep 2016, 22:59

This is probably him:

SELOW, Friedrich (Fritz).
09.03.43 Maj.d.R. in RLM (GL-E), transferred to Flieger-Ers.Btl. III and ordered to Reichminister
für Bewaffnung und Munition (Techn.Amt Entwicklung) for temporary duty.
01.05.43 in Flieger-Ers.Btl. III, permanently transferred to Reichminister für Bewaffnung und Munition (Techn.Amt Entwicklung).

As a World War I veteran and a reservist, he was too old for a combat unit so he was assigned to a desk during World War II.

If you will read the thread below this one on the Forum (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=224531) that concerns KG 100 and a pilot named KETNER, you will find information about WASt and BA-MA. The former will have a brief synopsis of his 1939-45 career and the latter has his complete personnel records (Personalakte u. Karteikarte).

L.

Rich400

Post by Rich400 » 19 Sep 2016, 13:29

Hi Larry
Many thanks for your information, from both myself, and my friend who's father we are discussing. I have personally trawled through much of the online information available, albeit without your expert knowledge of how to go about it!
I have carefully read through your link regarding the two other sources of information, and appreciate what you are saying here, it may be as my friend is German, and it is her father, we will need to compile emails sent from her account, in German. Alternatively travelling in person to their locations in Germany (we are East Anglia UK).
May I ask how you found the information you posted?
I had been heading up a completely wrong path by the sound of it, it has been indicated clearly to me on several occasions that he was attached to the SS. I considered this a mistake until I discovered that some senior Luftwaffe officers were attached to the SS in the KG200. Major Friedrich Emil Selow also at one time owned a hotel in Rügen, actually right next to the KDF hotel at Prora. I had put these facts together and noted that 1/KG200 operated between Berlin (our information was he was stationed at Staaken towards the end of the war) and Rügen. I must admit to being slightly disappointed that appears not to be the case! I do however believe he was a member of the SS as this has been stated on several occasions by my friend, and not with particular relish.
I am not sure if there was a labour camp at Staaken, and if so whether this was operated by the Luftwaffe. There is a little more information available which would suggest some connection with polish workers, which may not be relevant.
Also any information regarding his exploits as a fighter pilot in the First World War would be very interesting.
Once again many thanks for the help so far it is much appreciated.
Richard

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 19 Sep 2016, 20:27

Hi Richard,

Your friend being the subject's daughter, she will have no trouble dealing with either WASt Berlin or BA-MA Freiburg. Both will gladly assist her as soon as she contacts them.

Here is the link to the several lines of career data I provided on Lw.-Major Selow:

http://www.ww2.dk/lwoffz.html

Near the bottom of the Introduction you will find the reference to the Luftwaffe Officer Assignment Orders, specifically in this case:

"Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, Abteilung für Wehrmachtpropaganda; 57 folders (Geheim-Akten) of
Personalveränderungen” (officer promotions, reassignments, discharges, temporary assignments, etc.) for the Heer, Luftwaffe and, to a much lesser extent, the Kriegsmarine. The 39,976 pages in the collection cover Apr 1939 to Oct 1943 plus a single folder for Aug 1944, but is incomplete, especially for the Luftwaffe. The 26 rolls of microfilm can be found in, NARA WashDC: RG 242/T-77 rolls 937-963, filmed continuously from 4407277 – 4447252."

Does this preclude that there may have been another Maj. Friedrich Selow, this one a Maj. Friedrich von Selow, in the SS? Absolutely not. But I am confident that the one I gave to you is the only Maj. Friedrich Selow who was in the Luftwaffe.

Regarding 1./KG 200, it did have a very close connection to the Abwehr and then to the SS and did operate from Berlin to Rügen toward the end of the war as well as to other locations. The 1. Staffel of KG 200 was mainly concerned with agent-dropping and agent-insertion missions.

There were definitely forced labor camps in and around Berlin-Staaken but I am almost certain that they were not operated by the Luftwaffe. However, the laborers may have been employed at Staaken or at nearby factories that made things for the Luftwaffe. The labor camps were almost always run by the SS-Lagerverwaltung administration in Berlin.

I'm afraid I can't help you with World War I as it's not my field.

Good luck!

L.

Rich400

Post by Rich400 » 21 Sep 2016, 00:45

Hi Larry
Many thanks, we will certainly try to gather this information as you have suggested, you have been fantastic.
I will of course update you here when we have something more to add.
Although we hope to find out more about Major Friedrich Emil Selow, there is always a small worry what we will find, but I am hopeful that things will all be ok.
I am currently considering part of the information we do have (RLM (GL-E), transferred to Flieger-Ers.Btl. III) It is my understanding the the RLM is basically the German air ministry and GL-E was a department under the auspices of the "General of flying Training" in the "Industrial Sect Econ Dept."
Flieger-Ers (Flyers- Ersatzheer) would be basically replacement army pilots? Perhaps reservists stepping up into a permanent full time position?
What would be of interest would be what Flieger-Ers. Btl.III was actually up to and where it was stationed in 1944-45. Any ideas where I could look for this information?
Many Thanks in advance for any information in regards to the above.
Kind Regards
Richard

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 21 Sep 2016, 14:08

Hi Richard -

O.K., let's get to the definitions and questions.

RLM (or R.L.M.): Reichsluftfahrtministerium (German Air Ministry)
GL: Generalluftzeugmeister (Director General of German Air Force Equipment)
GL-E: Generalluftzeugmeister - Nachschubamt (the Supply Department of the GL organization)

Flieger-Ersatz-Bataillon (Replacement Battalion for Personnel of the Flying Branch - as opposed to personnel of the Flak Branch, Air Signals Branch and Air Force Construction Branch, etc., all of which had their own replacement battalions and companies). There were a total of 9 Flieger-Ers.Btle. and these were numbered I, III, IV, V, VI, VII, XI, XII, XVII. Your Flieger-Ers.Btl. III was located in Frankfurt/Oder, approx. 80 km ESE of Berlin, from the first half of 1942 to at least the end of 1944. These battalions were totally innocuous - all they did was process replacement personnel, both officers and enlisted. For officers, they were more of a paperwork mill than a unit they actually had to go and stay at. Most of the officers went home until they were notified that the orders for their next assignment had arrived.

That should pretty well cover the questions you asked.

L.

Rich400

Post by Rich400 » 21 Sep 2016, 22:09

Hi Larry
A spectacular response, and very enlightening to a novice such as myself.
Thanks once again for your patience, it genuinely is much appreciated.
I visited my friend today, and she was thrilled to hear an update of the information of her Father.

While there we covered off visiting the WASt and the BA-MA, and as the WASt site requires payment for the supply of information, it appeared that the BA-MA (initially at least) did not require any payment for our enquiry. So first off we are starting there. We compiled in German a request forwarding the information we have discussed on here. The request was for all information regarding Major Fritz Emil Selow. Attaching a copy of my friends birth certificate to assure identification of being a direct relative.

She is now able to view this thread directly from her laptop, and I am sure will check for updates!

With regard to the SS membership my friend is intending to dig out her Fathers documentation to establish what detail is there. Her recollection is there is a document detailing his SS membership, but as a Luftwaffe Major this will be interesting to see this.

As an aside, I have been in contact with the hotel he owned in Rügen. It is still trading and by the looks of it quite successfully. No response to date whatsoever though! It may be with the handover of such establishments to the communist regime during soviet occupation, the current owners are nervous over a claim for ownership! Thats a shame as the date ownership transferred from Major Selow would be interesting in this puzzle.

If you are interested I will update when there is something interesting to report, or indeed respond to any further information posted on this thread.

Kind Regards

Richard

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 21 Sep 2016, 23:20

Richard -

Yes, please do keep me updated as you and your friend work your way through the German bureaucracies and papers. One further note as I might have left things somewhat unclear regarding one issue. It would not have been terrible uncommon for a Luftwaffe major and World War I veteran to have become a member of the SS in the 1930's and retained that membership through to the end of the war. There were many, many Luftwaffe officers who were members of the NSDAP (Nazi Party) and a much smaller percentage who also belonged to the SS. I didn't want to leave you believing that these political and military organizations were mutually exclusive. But that said, it is very doubtful that he would have been performing duties for the SS as a major in the Luftwaffe. His membership in the SS would have been just an entry in his records that might have been of some limited benefit when his personnel file was being reviewed at promotion time.

L.

Rich400

Post by Rich400 » 24 Sep 2016, 13:20

Thanks for that reassurance Larry.
I was privileged to sit with my friend yesterday while she filtered through folders of documents, many of which applied to the Hotel Fritz Selow owned in Rügen (and still probably does own- or rather his family has a claim to) and his early career documentation.
His career documents start with an engineering apprenticeship on to his military aviation exploits where initially he was deemed too important to complete his pilot training, as his engineering skills were too important to the station. This was eventually completed with success.
Numerous commendations by station commandants, and then the iron cross recommendation, and indeed the Iron cross itself. (he was awarded this once during the first world war and again in the second).
Between wars there is numerous lufthansa documentation, supplemented by many Junkers employment contracts regarding engineering development of aircraft, from 1920 onwards. Also at first glance there is some Russian/German documentation which I would like to view further, but all aviation related.
The documents move onto the Nazi era, again many further detail working closely with Junkers and the luftwaffe. Some time was also spent in South Africa, again all interesting stuff I hope to be able to study, if my friend decides to allow!
The privilege moved on to all his dress uniform medals and badges, which, really are awe inspiring. One notable medal (in the very long line) indicates an osterreich inscription. Apparently the uniform went into the drain with his sidearm etc, when the Russians arrived in Berlin.
His photo in his dress uniform as a Major in the Luftwaffe was stored with another photo of him as a much younger man as a WWI pilot, but numerous awards on the tunics in both photographs. A notable scar on his left cheek, apparently the result of university fencing initiation!
The photos are to remain private.
I hope to be able to copy this documentation, mainly to preserve it for her family, but also to be able to draw up a clear picture of this illustrious career for my friend.
Obviously there is also a great pleasure involved discovering these things!
I hope this is of some interest, and if anyone knows of any further detail about this charismatic Major, we would be very pleased to hear back.
Regards
Richard

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 24 Sep 2016, 14:42

Hi Richard -

That is some interesting and important documentation you have been able to explore. His rather extensive engineering background fits hand-in-glove with his assignment to the GL/RLM Technische Amt - Entwicklung (Technical Office - Development) where the great majority of the assigned officers had engineering degrees. I think the information you have uncovered so far makes the likelihood of his membership in the SS rather remote. It also strongly suggests that the Major Friedrich Selow we have been discussing is the right one. It would be the proverbial pot under the rainbow if you could find his Soldbuch and/or his Wehrpaß, as these would give his complete list of military training and assignments as well as a lot of personal information. Of course, if BA-MA cooperates and you are able to get a copy of his records, then you won't need the Soldbuch or Wehrpaß.

L.

Rich400

Post by Rich400 » 25 Sep 2016, 12:14

Hi Larry
I am confidant my friend will allow me supervised access to her documentation at some point, and I will look for the Soldbuch and or Werpaß. In the flip through previously I cannot recall seeing these unfortunately.
I will of course update progress here, within the wishes of my friend.
It is most reassuring however to be guided and informed by your good self.
Regards
Richard

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”