Fieseler Storch in use by the Leibstandarte

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
stoveb

Fieseler Storch in use by the Leibstandarte

Post by stoveb » 07 Jul 2008, 06:15

Hi guys,

Firstly let me say I am pretty much an aircraft novice, so please feel to help me out with anything you can think of!

The 1st SS Panzer Division was assigned at least one Fieseler Storch, and I would like to ask a few questions about it/them.

Firstly, was it extremely rare for such a small unit to have access to it's own aircraft? - during 1941 in Russia, the unit was a Brigade strength, not even a fully sized division.

Secondly, any idea what the call sign may have been, it starts GA then the Balkenkreuz, but I have been unable to ID the last two letters. Are these letters assigned per unit or per aircraft type upon manufacture? (told you I knew nothing).

Anything else regarding allocation of these aircraft would be most welcome.

Thanks
Steve

Michael Emrys

Re: Fieseler Storch in use by the Leibstandarte

Post by Michael Emrys » 07 Jul 2008, 12:12

stoveb wrote:Secondly, any idea what the call sign may have been, it starts GA then the Balkenkreuz, but I have been unable to ID the last two letters. Are these letters assigned per unit or per aircraft type upon manufacture? (told you I knew nothing).
If I understand it correctly, the first two letters, which you say you have, identify the unit to which the plane belongs, and the last two letters identify the plane within the unit. If the plane were to be assigned to another unit, all four letters would be changed.

Michael
Incoming fire has the right of way.

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 08 Jul 2008, 16:54

It's not unusual that an a/c seems assigned to an army unit. General liason could be a reason, spec. purpose (recce.) another.

If the letters were before or left of the Balkenkreuz, this indicates a "Stammkennzeichen" or a factory callsign. Complete an individual a/c can be identified. The Stammkenzeichen database at LEMB http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/stam-g.html lists approx. 27 Fi 156 with the Stammkennzeichen GA+xx.
And no, a Stammkennzeichen alone, cannot be traced to a certain unit.

stoveb

Post by stoveb » 09 Jul 2008, 05:40

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your help, and that database is excellent, I will try and find something on the images I have to narrow it down. It is

GA + ??

Possibly a T next, but I will double check.

Further to allocation of these aircraft to specific units, would the pilot be a member of the Luftwaffe? In the photos I have the man is dressed as a member of the LAH, during 1941 in Russia.

The aircraft carries the unit emblem of the LAH on the nose of the plane, which indicates a long-term association with the unit. Was this common for aircraft to use such symbols of their adopted ground unit?

Once again, thanks for any help.

Cheers
Steve

stoveb

Post by stoveb » 26 Jan 2009, 12:13

Hi guys,

I have managed to get a photo from ebay which clearly shows the tactical number for this LAH Storch to be

GA + WL

Does anyone have any additional info about the meaning behind this tac number, date of manufacture, etc, etc, etc...

As I stated earlier, I know next to nothing about planes.

Thanks
Steve

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 26 Jan 2009, 12:38

Hi Guys,

If I remember rightly, it was the norm for all panzer divisions and infantry corps HQs to have their own attached observation aircraft.

Cheers,

Sid.

Simon Gunson

Post by Simon Gunson » 27 Jan 2009, 10:39

In addition there were several Luftwaffe transport units attached to the SS which may have operated the Storch.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 28 Jan 2009, 11:57

Hi Guys,

Is there any evidence of the Waffen-SS being allocated aircraft on different bases to to those applying to equivalent Army formations?

Cheers,

Sid.

stoveb

Post by stoveb » 28 Jan 2009, 12:58

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input.

I think it is unusual that the LAH, which was only a Motorised Brigade at the time of 1941, received a Storch when a similar Wehrmacht unit probably wouldn't have had their own.

The myth that the Waffen-SS always received the latest, the best and more equipment that other units aside, there seems to be some instances of this - with this Fieseler Storch being one instance.

It may have been assigned to Dietrich himself, as there are reports of him using his personal plane to ferry wounded men quickly back to hospitals far behind the lines.

If anyone has any hard data for this allocation, I would really like to see it, or if they could point me to a relevant book.

Thanks
Steve

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”