Erprobungsstelle Travemunde

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
eisenbahn9

Erprobungsstelle Travemunde

Post by eisenbahn9 » 23 Jun 2009, 23:20

Anyone know when this test/training center was established? I need to know in relation to the testing of carrier aircraft from around 1937-1939. Was it already an existing facility or was it started specifically for the purpose stated above? Any info would be appreciated!

I have looked at a Google satellite view of the area (a small peninsula jutting into the Trave River estuary) and there's a large open area that could be an abandoned airfield site. It's near the village of Priwall and there's a road leading there named "Fliegerweg".

Moltke d. J.

Re: Erprobungsstelle Travemunde

Post by Moltke d. J. » 24 Jun 2009, 01:38

That's a long and complicated story. It started with a aircraft factory in 1914. Ca. 1926 during the secret rearmament the military took over (part of the 'Lohmann affair'). In 1929 the 'Erprobungsstelle des Reichsverbandes der Deutschen Luftfahrtindustrie' was established as a front. See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erprobungsstelle_See for references.

Frank

eisenbahn9

Re: Erprobungsstelle Travemunde

Post by eisenbahn9 » 25 Jun 2009, 17:42

I don't read German that well but I get the gist of the Wikipedia article that the facility existed for quite some time prior to 1937-38. Thank you for directing me to this source!

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”