Flak units

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
aaaa

Flak units

Post by aaaa » 24 Aug 2009, 18:43

Hi

I'm new on this forum, so hello to everyhone.

I'd like to know about general organization of Flak units. My question is: were Flak regiments, divisions and corps only Stab units to command independent flak battalions and batteries, or had they their own weapons, besides the Stab? Had they other attached units, such ground troops, signals, observation, serachlight and such?

Thanks

Larry D.

Re: Flak units

Post by Larry D. » 24 Aug 2009, 19:40

If you go to this web site, http://www.ww2.dk/ , and then click on "Ground Units" and then on "Flak", you will have some insight into the general organizational arrangement of the Flakartillerie.

Basically, Flakkorps, Flakdivisionen and Flakregimenter were all "nur Stäbe" or HQ and staff only entities. Flak-Abteilungen and Flakbatterien were attached to them as needed. A typical Flak-Abt. might have been attached to as many as 6 to 10 different Flak-Rgt. staffs over the course of the war.

As for other attached units, yes to signals, medical, survey platoons (Vo-Meßzüge), Flak plotting platoons (Flak-Auswertezüge), Flak transport batteries, Flak columns, supply companies (ammo humpers), equipment issuing units (Flak-Geräteausgabestellen), plus 4 or 5 different kinds of repair and workshop detachments. It gets very, very involved, but there were no ground infantry-type troops attached. The best source for a general - yet detailed - study of the Flakartillerie is still:

Koch, Horst-Adalbert. Flak: Die Geschichte der deutschen Flakartillerie und der Luftwaffenhelfer (Bad
Nauheim, 1965).

aaaa

Re: Flak units

Post by aaaa » 25 Aug 2009, 18:24

Thanks, Larry D, for your great answer.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”