Me 262 went supersonic in 1944?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Dunserving

Re: Me 262 went supersonic in 1944

Post by Dunserving » 15 Jun 2011, 19:14

Topspeed wrote:
phylo_roadking wrote:
Bill Sweetman recognises that Me 262 had officially clocked 624 mph with a souped up canopy
Problem is....this facility wasn't availble to Motke...

No but the fact is that his power was doubled ( nearly tribled ) when he hit the plane into deep dive...and accelerated rapidly into mach 1+ at very high altitude.

It was dicovered already in the 1920s that a jet engine can go supersonic....unlike a prop engine. Underdeveloped Jumo seized and luckily speed decelerated rapidly so that the trans sonic buffeting was kept minimum in both ways.

"...fact that his power was doubled (nearly trebled) when he hit the plane into deep dive....."

SInce when did engine power increase when an aircraft starts diving? :D

"...and accelerated rapidly into Mach 1+ at very high altitude...."

There remains no evidence at all that his aircraft reached Mach 1. :D
He wasn't at very high altitude, even by the standards of the time. :D

"...It was dicovered already in the 1920s that a jet engine can go supersonic"

That discovery came later! :D

"...Underdeveloped Jumo seized and luckily speed decelerated rapidly..."

Engines did not seize. They flamed out. There is a huge difference which you do not appear to understand. :D
They flamed out long before the aircraft could get to M1.00, due to the speed of the airflow at the engine intakes.
As you have been told numerous times the engines have to have the air entering the compressor stage to be moving at subsonic speed.
Speed does not decelererate.
Aircraft can decelerate, and that deceleration is measured in terms of a rate of change of speed. :D
Of course the aircraft decelerated rapidly. How many times have we told you that?
Once the engines flamed out, gravity alone was insufficient to overcome the high transonic drag - hence the aircraft slowing! :D

Wartime Spitfires did not have a machmeter. Highest speed achieved in a dive in a postwar test, with an aircraft stripped of weight (ie guns etc) and with additional streamlining (ie all holes covered, no pitot tube etc) was not as high as M0.92 - it was lower - M0.89, and a Spitfire in combat trim would have been slower still - more like M0.84 or thereabouts.

Readers will note that even now Topspeed continues to demonstrate lack of basic understanding of aerodynamics, and still has not offered any evidence at all to support his claim, nor has he offered any evidence at all to disprove the enormous weight of evidence given by many posters that shows that the Me 262 could not have gone supersonic.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 15 Jun 2011, 20:13

Dunserving wrote: Highest speed achieved in a dive in a postwar test, with an aircraft stripped of weight (ie guns etc) and with additional streamlining (ie all holes covered, no pitot tube etc) was not as high as M0.92 - it was lower - M0.89, and a Spitfire in combat trim would have been slower still - more like M0.84 or thereabouts.

Readers will note that even now Topspeed continues to demonstrate lack of basic understanding of aerodynamics, and still has not offered any evidence at all to support his claim, nor has he offered any evidence at all to disprove the enormous weight of evidence given by many posters that shows that the Me262 could not have gone supersonic.
No I understand aerodynamics extremely well, but I wonder where your understanding is when you say RAEs number for Spitfire PR Mk. XI mach 0.92 with onboard mach meter is not correct ? It is in Bill Sweetmans book.

You better believe me when I say Me 262 was about 100 mph faster than a Spit...and certainly more so in a dive.

--------

I found following in the web;

Pilot claims he broke sound barrier first

It was never proved as far as I know...

Pilot claims he broke sound barrier first

BERLIN (AP) — A former Luftwaffe pilot says he broke the sound barrier first — not Chuck Yeager. But the German's claim cannot be verified, at least not yet.

Flying alone over Austria on April 9, 1945, at the end of World War II, Hans Guido Mutke pushed his Messerschmitt 262 to full throttle in hopes of reaching a friend who had bailed out under U.S. attack.

Mutke says he later realized the shaking and loss of control he felt before the plane reached 690 mph meant he had broken the sound barrier.

"I knew nothing about a sound barrier," he said Thursday from Munich. "I just went full speed to help a comrade."

Now age 79 and a retired doctor, Mutke has asked an aeronautics professor to help substantiate his claim using computer simulation.

By all accepted accounts, on Oct. 14, 1947, Yeager was the first human to break the sound barrier when he flew his rocket-powered X-1 over Rogers Dry Lake in southern California.

Mutke said he was cruising at 40,000 feet when he heard of his friend's trouble and went into a dive. As his jet accelerated, he said he felt his plane "buffeting" — a known phenomenon of vibration before reaching the speed of sound.

Mutke believes he then went supersonic — something test pilots hadn't done previously because they usually backed off when their planes shook.

"It's like when you pass a finger slowly through a candle flame and your finger gets burned. When you move it quickly, then nothing happens," said Mutke. "I went so fast through the buffeting area that it was only heavily damaged, both engines lost function and the rivets flew out of the wings."

After landing because of the damage to his plane, Mutke denied to superiors that he had exceeded 590 mph — the top speed then allowed.

There had been several unexplained Me 262 crashes earlier that Mutke speculates were caused when pilots broke the sound barrier and paid with their lives.

"I always said the first person who broke the sound barrier is the unknown pilot, exactly as we have the unknown soldier," Mutke said.

For the last several years, Otto Wagner, a professor at Munich's Technical University, has done computer simulations to try to verify Mutke's claim. He has been able to simulate the Me 262 at Mach 1.02 — just above the speed of sound — but he says the basic data on the plane's aerodynamics are not reliable. He's now trying to obtain wind tunnel studies from 1944 at the Messerschmitt factory in Berlin to do a more accurate simulation.

"If I had better data, then I could say it was faster than sound or not," Wagner said. "Now I can't say anything."

But the head of the Deutsches Museum air and space collection — which houses another Me 262 flown by Mutke — rejects the pilot's claim.

"In science, you have to be able to reproduce something to put it on the record," said Matthias Knopp, a physicist. "If someone says they did it, but it can't be reproduced, then many could say that they have done it."

It is from here; http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread109144/pg2

LWD

Post by LWD » 15 Jun 2011, 20:51

Topspeed wrote: ... No I understand aerodynamics extremely well,
That is certainly not the impression I have. Indeed I don't know a much about aerodynamics but you've convinced me that I know a lot more about it than you do.
but I wonder where your understanding is when you say RAEs number for Spitfire PR Mk. XI mach 0.92 with onboard mach meter is not correct ? It is in Bill Sweetmans book.
I think you missunderstood both what Sweetman and Dunserving said.
You better believe me when I say Me 262 was about 100 mph faster than a Spit...and certainly more so in a dive.
Why? Especially if the Me-262's engines have flamed out. If they'e siezed up it's even worse.

Dunserving

Post by Dunserving » 15 Jun 2011, 21:46

...and when someone starts quoting from abovetopsecret.com and offers it as evidence (!) to support their view, then anyone with a barely functioning brain knows that the certain someone has really lost the plot!

Just because something is in a book does not mean it is true.
Just because something is on a website does not mean it is true.

Start providing proper evidence from primary sources and you'll start being taken seriously.

Possibly.

Piotr Mikołajski

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 16 Jun 2011, 01:25

Topspeed wrote:No I understand aerodynamics extremely well
Srsly? So why you mix unrelated facts from history aviation trying to use them as proofs. This forum is not the place for anecdotal evidence if you want to be taken seriously.
Topspeed wrote:You better believe me when I say Me 262 was about 100 mph faster than a Spit...and certainly more so in a dive.
Even more in dive? Because Me 262 is heavier? Because have two engines? Just "because"?
Topspeed wrote:I found following in the web; (...)
It's just old news from AP, not proof for anything.
AboveTopSecret.com forums? The place with sections well known for their reliability? Let me guess - the next "proofs" will be quoted from "Aliens and UFOs", "General Conspiracies", "Secret Societies", "New World Order" or "Really Above Top Secret"?
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

Dunserving

Post by Dunserving » 16 Jun 2011, 12:18

Piotr Mikołajski wrote:FWIW: Parallel thread with the same claims is active on Homebuilt Airplanes.com: Me 262 went supersonic in 1945 !

And for what it's worth Topspeed / Topspeed100 is still spouting the same rubbish on both sites, often on the same day.

If this is meant to be a forum for serious academic research, then surely once someone starts posting links to sites like abovetopsecret it is time for a moderator to act decisively?

Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smith » 16 Jun 2011, 13:02

Topspeed wrote:
Tim Smith wrote: If I were a horrible, evil, ruthless, fanatical Nazi in WW2, and was as obsessed as Topspeed is with breaking the sound barrier, I'd convert a V2 missile into a manned rocket by replacing the warhead with a makeshift one-man capsule.
No I hate nazis..and mostly the Illinois nazis. I am not fanatic...I just want to fight for the justice.

RAE discovered that even Spitfire went mach 0.92 with a mach meter on board.

If the Motke story is true...then yes he was the first super sonic dude....I have no trouble saying that just because he fought in the Luftwaffe.
I didn't say you were a Nazi or a fanatic. I said that you were obsessed with breaking the sound barrier (specifically your theory that Motke was the first to do it in an Me 262, despite all the evidence to the contrary.)

Getting close to Mach 1 is a lot easier than getting through Mach 1. The aerodynamic shock effects are greatest between Mach 0.95 and Mach 0.99.

I'm British, and I would have no trouble accepting that a German was the first to break the sound barrier, if it were proven. His nationality is irrelevant. However, since it has been proven that the Me 262 was not capable of supersonic flight without breaking up, I deny that ANY pilot EVER broke the sound barrier in an Me 262. Not even a British test pilot after the war.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 16 Jun 2011, 16:07

Tim Smith wrote:
Topspeed wrote:I said that you were obsessed with breaking the sound barrier (specifically your theory that Motke was the first to do it in an Me 262, despite all the evidence to the contrary.)

Getting close to Mach 1 is a lot easier than getting through Mach 1. The aerodynamic shock effects are greatest between Mach 0.95 and Mach 0.99.
I agree that the Willy Messerschmitt comment on 950 Vne is a heavy argument against Motke's claim.

What Motke claims happened is exactly a mach 1+ flight.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 16 Jun 2011, 16:55

Flying alone over Austria on April 9, 1945, at the end of World War II, Hans Guido Mutke pushed his Messerschmitt 262 to full throttle in hopes of reaching a friend who had bailed out under U.S. attack.
What was he trying to do - catch him? 8O
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Dunserving

Post by Dunserving » 16 Jun 2011, 17:41

phylo_roadking wrote:
That's right!

By diving at Mach 1+ he was aiming to catch his friend who was dropping to Earth with one of those special supersonic parachutes designed to get you to the ground quickly, before the enemy could catch you.

Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smith » 16 Jun 2011, 23:35

Dunserving wrote:
phylo_roadking wrote:
That's right!

By diving at Mach 1+ he was aiming to catch his friend who was dropping to Earth with one of those special supersonic parachutes designed to get you to the ground quickly, before the enemy could catch you.
No, his friend was actually a Sith Lord, who could have dropped onto Motke's wing and clung to the leading edge by his fingertips, even while Motke dived at nearly Mach 1 to get away from the American P-51, and after that Motke could have landed safely with his Sith friend suffering no harm other than cold fingers. The Dark Side would have triumphed and Nazi Germany would have won the war.

Unfortunately Motke cocked it all up by diving after the wrong pilot, mistaking a shot down American pilot for his Sith buddy, and the US pilot just bounced off Motke's wing while shouting "What the hell are you doing, you crazy asshole!" Then as the Sith Lord fell screaming to the ground with a streamed parachute, Motke dived to escape the Mustang, but forgot his Me 262 couldn't dive safely at Mach 1.

Plunging earthward at over 600 mph with the rivets popping out of his wings, Motke strained to pull back the stick.... but it broke off in his hands, making his eyes pop out of his head as he yelled "Oh Poodoo!" in German! Desperately, as the Messerschmitt plunged out of control at just over Mach 1, even with its engines flamed out, Motke repaired the stick using his mouthful of captured American chewing gum (which once taken out of the mouth freezes rock solid at high altitude.) Then he swallowed a top secret 'Wookie Power' steroid pill, which made his biceps bulge and burst of his flight suit - not to mention making him suddenly very hairy - and then he easily pulled the Me 262 out of its terminal dive, living to tell this very tall tale..... ;)

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 17 Jun 2011, 11:32

phylo_roadking wrote:

This is very superficially told...Achammer was pounded by a P-51 D while taking off and Bär ( exprerienced ace ) radioed to Motke what was going on..they were still learning to fly the Me 262.

Achammer bailed out and survived, but was kicked out of the training for loosing a priceless plane.

Motke was on his 4th flight with the 262.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 17 Jun 2011, 12:42

Achammer bailed out and survived, but was kicked out of the training for loosing a priceless plane
So an experienced pilot converting to type - a conversion process fraught with peril itself - was thrown out of training for loosing an aircraft to enemy action during takeoff, a time (along with landing) when the Me 262 was known and recognised as being extremely vulnerable?

Crap.

Actually -literally crap - http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.co ... lotsA.html
One known victory, a P-51 of 359FG, 368FS, piloted by Capt. M.F. Boussu, near the Lechfeld airfield on 9 April, 1945
Seems like he was operational...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Piotr Mikołajski

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 17 Jun 2011, 15:13

Topspeed wrote:Achammer bailed out and survived, but was kicked out of the training for loosing a priceless plane.
I have no idea what kind of sources do you have but you should throw all of them away. Priceless plane? Germans had dozens of Me 262 grounded due to different reasons, mostly due to lack of fuel. Kicking off experienced pilot during conversion to completely new weapon system during wartime? This is one of the most stupid statements I've ever heard / read.
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 17 Jun 2011, 16:05

Maybe they kicked him out for shooting down a priceless plane.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/p5 ... 2005.shtml

:D
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”