Arado 234 B1 reconnaisance flights over UK

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
willi_klingel

Arado 234 B1 reconnaisance flights over UK

Post by willi_klingel » 28 Jul 2011, 17:07

Greetings,
I read that the Arado 234 B-1 was used to make reconnaisance flights over the UK starting in September of 1944. There are numerous brief references to this in quite a few publications but nothing very detailed. Apparently the Brits were aware of the flights but because of the height that the Arados were flying, all they could do was watch. Does anyone have any more detailed information ? Is anyone aware of material written by any of the German fliers involved? The most publicized use of the 234 is of course the Remagen bridge attacks. I am aware that only one example still exists in the Smithsonian. I plan to see it some day.
Danke,
Willi

Larry D.

Re: Arado 234 B1 reconnaisance flights over UK

Post by Larry D. » 28 Jul 2011, 19:13

The book cited below is mainly a developmental history of the aircraft, both authors being engineers and having little interest in operational matters. Accordingly, the book is exceedingly well researched and documented but only mentions a few operational missions in passing:

2 Aug 44: first Ar 234 recce sortie – covered Cherbourg and beachhead area flying from Juvincourt. (p.149)
Aug 44: Oblt./Hptm. Erich Sommer flew the first Ar 234 recce sortie over southern England during the second half of August. (p.150)
10 Sep 44: Sommer flew a high altitude Ar 234 recce over the Thames Estuary and London. (p.151)
Ar 234 recce flights over the U.K. by Kommando Sperling based at Rheine became relatively routine thereafter. Dates mentioned: 5 Oct 44 (East Anglian coast); 6 Oct 44; etc. The photographs they brought back were considered of the highest value by Hitler, Göring, OKW and OKL.

Smith, J. Richard and Eddie J. Creek. Arado 234 Blitz. Sturbridge (MA): Monogram Aviation Publications, 1992. ISBN: 0-914144-51-0. Hb (oversize). Dj. 264p. Profusely illus. (incl. color). Numerous dwgs incl. 3-views and color profiles. Maps. Tables. Charts. Appendices. Index.

Erich Sommer, along with Horst Götz, was one of the two premier Ar 234 recce pilots and he survived the war and lived in Australia. He was still alive a few years ago but may have passed away by now. I don't think he wrote a book, but he collaborated closely with one of the authors noted above. So I have some doubt if there is a detailed operational record of every Ar 234 recce flight made over the U.K. written in narrative style by the pilots complete with their first-person experiences. The book does contain personal accounts by the pilots that give their opinion of the Ar 234, though. Some are quite interesting.

L.

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 28 Jul 2011, 22:26

Hallo Larry,
Thank you very much for the very comprehensive answer. I will definitly seek out a copy of the book that you recommend
Wiil

Andrew Arthy

Post by Andrew Arthy » 01 Aug 2011, 03:45

Hi Willi,

Some of Erich Sommer's documents survived the war, including diary notes on around 50 Ar 234 flights that he made. Unfortunately I don't have access to this material. Erich Sommer passed away aged 93 in 2005.

The logbook of Werner Arnold from Kommando Sommer also exists, showing 65 flights from September 1944 to 29 April 1945. Arnold passed away 4 April 2009.

The logbook of Horst Götz also survived the war, showing his Ar 234 flights.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 01 Aug 2011, 15:59

The photos taken by Sommer of the D Day beaches have survived and I saw some on a website a while ago, you should be able to search for it. They are so clear they are a great testament to his skill and the qualities of the cameras used.

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 01 Aug 2011, 16:15

Thanks for that flight information Andrew and Matt. I was 8 years old when these flights were taking place and it was many years after the war that the information about the high flying Ar 234's was made public.

I will send another e-mail with a picture of the last survivor which is at the Smithsonian in Washington.
Thank you both again.
Willi

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 01 Aug 2011, 16:37

The Smithsonian Arado 234 B-2 Photo courtesy of the now defunct magazine Airpower May 1995 Volume 25 No. 3
This particular issue is well worth obtaining since it contains evaluations of many German WWII airplanes and a number of excellent coloured pictures.

Willi K.
Arado 234 B2.JPG

gustav109

Post by gustav109 » 02 Aug 2011, 12:58

Hi Willi,

Another book that contains an account of the AR234 recon over Normandy is

"Sky Warriors; Classic Air war battles" by Alfred Price. The Arado used was the A model which was fitted with skids rather than a tricycle undercarriage which caused all sorts of delays getting to the invasion front as the aircraft had to wait for a special undercarriage dolley to arrive every time it landed.

Cheers

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 03 Aug 2011, 02:19

Hi Gustav,
Thanks for the heads up on the book. I was on youtube a couple of days ago and I found some incredible footage of an Arado 234 A taking off with the dolly and then landing on its skid. I couldn't believe how level the pilot managed to keep the plane on landing but inevitably the right wing dipped and touched the ground just before he stopped. I believe that they had to widen the fusalage on the B type to accomodate the tricycle undercarriage. I also found another youtube site showing captured German planes being flown by the RAF test pilots. It seemed a bit odd seeing a He 111 H16 with British roundels. Are you located in NSW ? I have relatives who live near Sidney. We've been sweltering in Canada with temperatures in the high 30's and very humid. It still beats Canadian winters though ! Thanks again for the book tip.
Cheers
Willi

hojer

Post by hojer » 13 Dec 2011, 13:57

my doc.foto copy+orig foto
Attachments
Obrazek0014.jpg
Obrazek0005.jpg
Obrazek0004.jpg

hojer

Post by hojer » 13 Dec 2011, 13:58

orig foto
Attachments
Obrazek0038.jpg

Panzerspitze

Post by Panzerspitze » 16 Dec 2011, 06:20

I read the Spitfires (with some special super-charged engine) initially couldn't reach the altitude the Arado was flying at, but did eventually manage to shoot down one firing from below. Later newer models with more power engines became available to deal with the high-altitude bomber threat.

Umberto Gorena

Post by Umberto Gorena » 21 Dec 2011, 16:34

Hi friends
I do not know if i will tell you something of new but, see you.
KOMMANDO GÖTZ, move to Jovincourt the July 27 1944: AIRCRAFT, Arado 234 V5 (T9+LH) Götz, V7 (T9+MH) Sommer, Götz have an
engine failure and come back to Oranienburg. FIRST OPERATIONAL FLIGHT, over Cherbourg peninsula coast line. other 13 mission in the further two weeks. AUGUST 28 the Kdo move to Chievres (Belgium). AUGUST 30 move to VOLKEL (Holland). SEPTEMBER 3, move to Rheine near Osnabrück and there change name in Kdo Sperling, after Götz injury, untill March 1945.
SEPTEMBER 9, Sommer receive the order to make a flight over the Thames estuary, flight performed the next day. Sommer take the personal decision to extend the flight over London. After this flight Sommer receive a comunication said that he will be subject to a court martial ( Sommer Will know after several time that the applicant was the SS-SS-Obergruppenführer Dr. Hans Kammler, chief of the V 2-programme. This man wanted to prevent any informations about V-2 failures, reached Hitler's hears. Imediately in despite of the injuries flight to Berlin speaking with the Dr. Goebbels adjutant. one day after a telegram from Luftwaffen-Führungsstab arrived and with an " APPROPRIATE " giustification, close the case.
bregds. SGM GORENA CLIMB TO GLORY

California

Post by California » 31 Dec 2011, 17:15

Matt Gibbs wrote:The photos taken by Sommer of the D Day beaches have survived and I saw some on a website a while ago, you should be able to search for it. They are so clear they are a great testament to his skill and the qualities of the cameras used.

Minnesota Kent

Post by Minnesota Kent » 05 Oct 2014, 22:11

I'm glad to find this post. I'm working on a model of Ar 234 V7, flown by Sommers. I have a question about the take-off trolley. From the B & W photos, the trolley appears to be the same color as the skid, which I believe is RLM 65. There is no kit of this aircraft, so I'm doing a conversion of a "B" version kit. The only other conversion model I've seen photos of have the trolley painted RLM 02.

Is it possible that RLM 65 and RLM 02 could have the same reflectivity? Or could the trolley have been painted RLM 63 light gray? Or would they have used camouflage paint for a trolley?

Thanks!

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”