LW transport fleet - losses, operations, stock, production

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Urmel

Re: LW transport fleet - losses, operations, stock, producti

Post by Urmel » 29 Oct 2011, 11:55

Does anyone know what Freight Gliders (LS) could mean in late 1941? I would presume Go 242?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha_Go_242
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 29 Oct 2011, 13:19

Also Me-321 I presume?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_321

...also, from Rich's posts, above, it seems that the motorized version the Me-323 (which only entered service in 1942) also was categorized as a glider?

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 29 Oct 2011, 16:00

So... LS = Lastensegler. Was the Gotha still classified as such, or was it a GLS (Grossraumlastensegler)?
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 29 Oct 2011, 16:01

Interesting. I just realized the significance of that to the acceptence list. The six I gave must be the acceptences to the Fernaufklärungs Staffeln, aircraft V7 and V9-V13. That of course makes me wonder why the seven accepted for the Transport Staffeln, aircraft V1-V6, and V8, don't show up as acceptences on the list? Perhaps its because the C-series was considered production, while the A-series was considered development and preproduction?

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 29 Oct 2011, 17:21

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 01 Nov 2011, 04:08

ULTRA indicates that there were 3 BV 222 in the Med by late 41.

Here's a bit more info on performance of the Transportgruppen:

http://wp.me/phMWl-lQ

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 14 Nov 2011, 13:33

Some data about transport aircraft losses in Crete, from the preface of Flugzeug Foto-Archiv Spezial Band 3: Kreta - AderlaB der Transportflieger-Verbände:
In the book "Die deutschen Transportflieger im 2. Weltkrieg" by Fritz Morzik (Generalmajor and AOC Luftwaffe Transport Command) and Gerhard Hümmelchen, the number of transport aircraft lost during the Balkan Campaign and the preparations for the Invasion of Crete, from April to June 1941, is put at 324. In the preceding months of January to March, the figure was a mere 42. The months July to September showed the number rising to 75 as the first losses of the opening of the Russian Campaign began to make themselves felt.
[...]
Two other interesting documents dealing with losses sustained during the battle were made available to Gerog Schlaug, author of "Die deutschen Lastensegler-Verbände 1937-45" and "Geschichte einer Transportfliegergruppe im II: Weltkrieg". The figures revealed by the first document put the number of Ju 52s that had to be written of at 85 (degree of damage 60-100%) and 117 as being damaged (10-59%).[...]
The second document states the number of transport aircraft available from 20.5.41-31.5.41. On the first day of the assault, 20 May, 493 aircraft were serviceable; on the day the enemy evacuated the island, 31 May, the number had fallen to 185. KGr.z.b.V.105, the transport unit chiefly featured in this issue, ended the battle with just 19 of its 50 aircraft serviceable.

Marcus

Re: LW transport fleet - losses, operations, stock, production

Post by Marcus » 10 Jan 2015, 12:44

This thread was featured on our Facebook page recently.

/Marcus

tigre

Post by tigre » 31 Dec 2016, 17:17

Hello to all :D; a little query.........................................

Assault on Sicily - July 1943.

Frascati 7.7.1943

The bombings of our airfields continue. (Catania, Gerbini, Trapani, Comiso). We have to consider withdrawing our air force, as otherwise it faces certain destruction. But the alternative airfields are too far away for our aircraft to fight effectively, and therefore such a move is not contemplated yet.

Source: The South African Military History Society. Military History Journal - Vol 7 No 2. Assault on Sicily, 1943. Jochen Mahnke.

How many transport planes were lost there due to the bombardment prior to the landing? TIA. Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

Feliz Año Nuevo - Happy New Year - Feliz Ano Novo - Gluckliches Neues Jahr - Bonne Année - Felice Anno Nuovo - Szczęśliwego nowego roku!!!. :thumbsup:
Attachments
image087.jpg
1943 Sicily Wrecked Junker Ju 52 at Comiso Airfield..................................................
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-Sicily-Wrecked-Luftwaffe-Junker-JU-52-Comiso-Airfield-Original-Press-Photo-/400652743575
image087.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 29665 times

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 21 Jan 2021, 23:15

Glad I discovered this thread, and only seconds after I stared searching. What I'm specifically fishing for is the transport POTENTIAL capability for lifting a airborne operation durning June through December 1944. That is the maximum number of operational aircraft that could have been available had a effort to concentrate them been executed. Anyone that can point to sources would be most welcome. Thanks & Danke in advance.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 22 Jan 2021, 14:00

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 23:15
Glad I discovered this thread, and only seconds after I stared searching. What I'm specifically fishing for is the transport POTENTIAL capability for lifting a airborne operation durning June through December 1944. That is the maximum number of operational aircraft that could have been available had a effort to concentrate them been executed. Anyone that can point to sources would be most welcome. Thanks & Danke in advance.
I'm currently working on the detailed story of all German heavy transport planes. Sadly, I am around late 1941 now, so I can't be of much help. But.

What I can tell you is the following. (The sources are often straight-contradictory, so multiple cross-reference was necessary.)

On June 1944, 8 Ju-90s were still operational, of which 1 was Ju-290 and 1 was the Ju-390. These latter ones were equipped with the Trapoklappe, meaning they could carry an Sdkfz 222 or an Sdkfz 250 in their fuselages.

As far as I processed it, of the original BV-222 production (V1-V7), the V1, V3, V5 and V6 was destroyed by this time, and that the V2, V4 and V7 were operational. I don't know the rest, yet.

Fw-200 came out in a lot of configurations, including transport ones. Some of the initial production (up until C3/U9) survived the war, but I doubt that all of them could be utilized for transport duties. These planes included the "Immelmann III" (Hitler's plane), the "Grenzmark" (Ribbentrop's plane), the C4/U1 (Himmler's plane) and C4/U2 (Dönitz's plane).

If you are interested, I can upload you the German Air Force Airlift Operations by Fritz Morzik. It's full of first-hand, detailed infos. Maybe you're familiar with it already.

Also, I'd recommend you to check this site: https://www.ww2.dk/lwairfields.html which provides a lot of useful infos about LW airfields in almost every theatre of operations. The Ju-52s were great at utilizing a lot of airfields, but a lot of airfields provided less than ideal conditions.

Crew experience is also a factor. With adequately trained or experienced crews, 3 minutes flight intervals are possible, 5 minutes flight intervals were standard under normal circumstances.

It's also worth to cross-reference Morzik's assessments of the adequacy of the airfields and their reported runways, signal equipments and facilities.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 22 Jan 2021, 15:25

If you are interested, I can upload you the German Air Force Airlift Operations by Fritz Morzik. It's full of first-hand, detailed infos. Maybe you're familiar with it already.
Yes if you would. Thanks for the generosity.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 23 Jan 2021, 01:21

Oh yes please!

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 23 Jan 2021, 15:36

:milwink: Sent.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 23 Jan 2021, 16:16

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 23:15
Hi Carl

May I suggest this book. Its price has gone nuts over the years, so maybe a library copy.
Attachments
German Ind Prod.jpg
German Ind Prod.jpg (40.35 KiB) Viewed 11620 times

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”