Germans in Northern Italy

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Napoleon XIV

Germans in Northern Italy

Post by Napoleon XIV » 03 Apr 2003, 06:47

Well, I'm not entirely sure if this is the right forum for this so if I'm off I'm sorry.

From around 1943 to 1945 the Germans had a rather large presence up in the Northeastern Corner of Italy in the place called Friuli (Friaul in German iirc*, Called Friuli-Venezia-Giulia today). I'm curious about what they were up to in the town of Spilimbergo particularly on the Luftwaffe end of things. My Grandfather was a German Officer there and had some sort of high up status in the Luftwaffe (He had a valet, good salary etc).

From what my Grandma tells me, he arrived around 1943 or 1944 in the area and worked in "Il Castello" which was the rather large medieval Castle in the town (Kind of hard to miss ;)).

So I'm wondering this:
1) What were the Germans doing in Spilimbergo? I've been told that it was the HQ for the area but I cant find out anything about that.
2) What was the Luftwaffe doing there?
3) Did Goering have any special thing there? My Grandfather met Goering a few times and got a Bottle of Schnopps from him so I assume he had something to do with Goering...
4) When did the Allies reach Spilimbergo?

Sadly my Grandfather died some years ago and my Grandma doesn't like to talk about it/doesn't remember/is confused about the things back then in little Spilimbergo.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Napoleon XIV

Post by Napoleon XIV » 04 Apr 2003, 06:58

No one knows anything?

Timo

Post by Timo » 04 Apr 2003, 11:01

Can't make anything from Spilimbergo, but there was a "medival castle" (actually a copy build by Mussolini in the 1930's) called 'Rocca delle Caminate' near the village of Predappio (near Forli, in the Udine region). This is were the Germans moved "Il Duce" after he was liberated. He arrived on 25.09.1943. His government settled there for the rest of the war because the allies held the southern part of Italy. He was under constant guard from several German units.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Timo

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 04 Apr 2003, 15:26

An additional thought, The town of Spilimbergo was and still is an Art center for Italian paintings. If Goering was coming to town it may have been to add to his collection of art works.

Napoleon XIV

Post by Napoleon XIV » 04 Apr 2003, 18:53

Thats a real good point... La scuola di Mosaico is real nice. I was there when i was ~5 years old and i got some tiles and such to play with ;) :D

EDIT: Is there anyway to find out if/when Goering was there? They really ought to tag and monitor these higher ups ;)

Napoleon XIV

Post by Napoleon XIV » 06 Apr 2003, 06:46

Well, I did a quick search online and found out that there was a Munitions factory near/in the town which was bombed (my grandma recalls the Americans bombing things like mad).

Spilimbergo is its own commune so I'm wondering what the boundaries wree back then to see exactly what it included... My Grandma still insists that it was in the local Castle but i can find anything to prove it over here... :( (well other than I exist...)

djehuty

Re: Germans in Northern Italy

Post by djehuty » 31 Aug 2013, 09:00

Better late then never:

Spilimbergo UD OZAK LW Ausbildungs-u.Ersatz-Komp.zbV 4 from 00.11.43
Spilimbergo UD OZAK LW Erdkampfschule d.Luftflotte 2 -

and nearby

Udine-Casarsa, zwischen OZAK LW Luftwaffen-Jäger-Bataillon zbV 4 from 30.09.44
Maniago-Aviano, Strasse UD OZAK LW Fliegerhorst-Kdtr. E (v) 201/VII from 25.08.44

Bye

Theinot

Re: Germans in Northern Italy

Post by Theinot » 17 Aug 2014, 12:17

Napoleon XIV wrote:Well, I'm not entirely sure if this is the right forum for this so if I'm off I'm sorry.

From around 1943 to 1945 the Germans had a rather large presence up in the Northeastern Corner of Italy in the place called Friuli (Friaul in German iirc*, Called Friuli-Venezia-Giulia today). I'm curious about what they were up to in the town of Spilimbergo particularly on the Luftwaffe end of things. My Grandfather was a German Officer there and had some sort of high up status in the Luftwaffe (He had a valet, good salary etc).

From what my Grandma tells me, he arrived around 1943 or 1944 in the area and worked in "Il Castello" which was the rather large medieval Castle in the town (Kind of hard to miss ;)).

So I'm wondering this:
1) What were the Germans doing in Spilimbergo? I've been told that it was the HQ for the area but I cant find out anything about that.
2) What was the Luftwaffe doing there?
3) Did Goering have any special thing there? My Grandfather met Goering a few times and got a Bottle of Schnopps from him so I assume he had something to do with Goering...
4) When did the Allies reach Spilimbergo?

Sadly my Grandfather died some years ago and my Grandma doesn't like to talk about it/doesn't remember/is confused about the things back then in little Spilimbergo.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)
Hi I'm ''Friulano''......from friuli....i live in the town of Spilimbergo! The german was in Spilimbergo from the end of 1943 to 1945 when the partigian kicked the all german soldier in the town...but...i never listen nothing of the entried of allies in the town....my mail is [email protected] .....answers me in that email! :)

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”