Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Bf 109T: folding wings?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.

Bf 109T: folding wings?

Postby Barrett on 14 Jul 2013 00:25

OK, I'm officially confused. William Green says the 109T had folding wings (outboard of the wing guns) though the flaps had to be removed beforehand. (What did THAT do to sortie rates?)

However, at least two other reputable sources including Marshall's tome on the T says the wings did not fold. Even with the 2-ft wider span, Graf Zep's elevators could accommodate the 11-m span.

Who ya gonna believe?

The fact that I've never seen/found a photo of a 109 with wings folded does not mean they didn't. NATURALLY one of the many things I never asked Gen. Steinhoff was what he remembered about the Toni in JG 77.
Barrett
United States

Re: Bf 109T: folding wings?

Postby oaktree on 14 Jul 2013 00:46

First i have heard about the "T" folding wings.
oaktree
United States

Postby phylo_roadking on 14 Jul 2013 02:05

Hi Barrett - what little I've got....buried away in a 109 profile originally from Aerospace Publishing in 2004 was that yes, the 60 T-2s (and the rebuilt ten T-1s) kept the extended folding wings and the high lift devices, just lost everything else "naval". Obviously the extra wingspan/surface area and the high-lift devices then made them good for short runways :D The few pics I've seen in print and online don't indeed include any with the wings folded...
"People tell me I know damn nothing - I tell them I know damn all!"
phylo_roadking
United Kingdom

Postby Barrett on 14 Jul 2013 20:29

This just in from Christoph Kluxen:

There were 3 Versions

T-0 produced by Fieseler 7 prototypes

T-1 produced by Fieseler 70 aircraft

T-2 de-navalised T-1 --- means that all naval features were removed. when the first stop for GZ came, the T-1 were modified to T-2 and assigned to "Luftflotte 5" as fighter bomber. December 1941 order came to rebuild the T-2 to T-1 standard again as it was thought they would be needed for GZ.

T-0 and T-1 had folding wings so that width of a Bf-109 below deck was 4590mm. In T-2 this feature was deactivated, but still there.
Barrett
United States

Postby ju55dk on 19 Jul 2013 11:56

I would put my money on Marshall's statement. No one has done such indeept research in the T-model.

Junker
ju55dk
Denmark

Return to Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general