Luftwaffe use of airfield matting?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Paidoskixos

Luftwaffe use of airfield matting?

Post by Paidoskixos » 18 Jul 2013, 23:18

Hi,
did the Luftwaffe use some kind of temporary airfield surface such as the US PSP ( perfurated steel planking ) or the british Sommerfeld Tracking?

Larry D.

Re: Luftwaffe use of airfield matting?

Post by Larry D. » 19 Jul 2013, 01:23

In an examination of 100,000+ German and Allied documents concerning Luftwaffe-built airfields, the answer is no, at least not that I have seen so far. Temporary operational airfields (Einsatzhafen), landing grounds (Landeplatz), advanced landing grounds (Absprunghafen), field airstrips (Feldflugplatz), dispersal fields (Ausweichflugplatz), transit airfields (Zwischenlandeplatz), etc. (about 10 more different types), were cleared, leveled, rolled and artificially drained. A large number of the permanent all-weather airfields in Norway and Finland used wood planking for part or all of the runway, assembly areas and servicing hardstands. There may also have been limited use of wood planking on a small number of airfields in Denmark and the Leningrad area, but that needs to be confirmed.

L.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 19 Jul 2013, 01:53

A large number of the permanent all-weather airfields in Norway and Finland used wood planking for part or all of the runway, assembly areas and servicing hardstands.
It's been ages since this was discussed, but IIRC didn't they take prefabricated planking to Norway in April 1940 to help extend Vaernes?

(Am I mistaken in remmebering that in some locations they also used tar-impregnated jute matting?)

On the planking...

Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 19 Jul 2013, 05:53

I always understood the Germans used alot of corduroy for road and airfield/hardstand construction on the Eastern front, given all the mud in certain seasons, and in low areas.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 19 Jul 2013, 14:12

It's been ages since this was discussed, but IIRC didn't they take prefabricated planking to Norway in April 1940 to help extend Vaernes?

(Am I mistaken in remmebering that in some locations they also used tar-impregnated jute matting?)

On the planking...
I know that from June 1940 to June 1941 (at least) prefabricated sections of planking were made elsewhere in Norway and then taken by ship to the more northern airfields at Banak, Bardufoss, etc. to be used there for runway, taxiway, hardstand construction. As for April 1940, I think that's certainly possible but I haven't run into anything on it yet.

The tar-impregnated jute matting is intriguing and it would be interesting to learn more. Do you recall specific airfields where it was employed and the time frame? If confirmed, I'm thinking that it may have been experimental and not widely used. There's no mention of it in any of the countless airfield Lw.-Bauleitung (local construction office) messages and correspondence with the higher level regional Lw.-Bauämter that discuss plans, materials needed and periodic completion reports that I have seen.

L.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 19 Jul 2013, 21:17

The tar-impregnated jute matting is intriguing and it would be interesting to learn more. Do you recall specific airfields where it was employed and the time frame? If confirmed, I'm thinking that it may have been experimental and not widely used. There's no mention of it in any of the countless airfield Lw.-Bauleitung (local construction office) messages and correspondence with the higher level regional Lw.-Bauämter that discuss plans, materials needed and periodic completion reports that I have seen.
Larry, I wish I could remember :( It's been several (many?) years since I saw the reference.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 26 Jul 2013, 00:10

Luftwaffe "Rasensteine" or "Clausensten" in Denmark: http://www.gyges.dk/fliegerhorst_grove14.htm

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 26 Jul 2013, 00:12

Prefabricated Runway sections of wood were also used on Kjevik and Mandal airfields.

Paidoskixos

Post by Paidoskixos » 29 Jul 2013, 15:10

Hi Valtoro,

very interesting, indeed! Do you know more about this "Rasenstein/Clausensten"?

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 31 Jul 2013, 21:40

Hi,
I don't know exactly what you want to know. The stones were used extensively in Germany and Denmark for taxiways and dispersal areas. In my opinion a very ingenious design. As opposed to a solid tile materiel is saved, and the grass quickly take hold through the holes and add to the concealment.
bregds
SES

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 17 Dec 2014, 15:26

Hello

Any German reference (Officiel Luftwaffe) about the use of the Rasensteine / Clausensten?

The holes are a bit conical, do the large diameter lay pointing upwards, or the smaller?

:) :idea:

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”