Hans-Ulrich Rudel question

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
forseti79

Hans-Ulrich Rudel question

Post by forseti79 » 16 Mar 2014, 02:26

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Hans_Rudel
On one occasion, after trying a landing to rescue two downed novice Stuka crewmen and then not being able to take off again due to the muddy conditions, he and his three companions, while being chased for 6 km by Soviet soldiers, made their way down a steep cliff by sliding down trees, then swam 600 meters across the icy Dniester river, during which his rear gunner, Knight's cross holder Henschel, succumbed to the cold water and drowned.
Anyone know if this is true? Unless I'm wrong a Stuka only has two seats. Assuming that Rudel actually managed to rescue those two other guys, where would they have sat in the Stuka even if they had managed to take off?

von thoma

Re: Hans-Ulrich Rudel question

Post by von thoma » 21 Mar 2014, 10:28

When Rudel surrendered at Kitzingen in May 1945, he had a extra passenger on his Stuka.
A young girl travels in the hold of the Junkers Ju 87.
There are some pictures of her arriving to the airfield.
Another possibility :
Have you seen "The Flight of the Phoenix" ? :D
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Andrew Arthy

Re: Hans-Ulrich Rudel question

Post by Andrew Arthy » 21 Mar 2014, 15:44

Hi,

On 8 May 1945 the female passenger was actually in another of the Ju 87s that landed at Kitzingen. Rudel's Ju 87 carried only himself and his (male) gunner.

In his memoirs Rudel describes the event mentioned by forseti79, and notes: "This lot today will be the seventh crew I shall have picked up under the noses of the Russians." He then writes: "Henschel lifts the canopy and I give them a sign to hop in and be quick about it. The engine is running, they climb in behind with Henschel." The aircraft then bogged in the mud, so they had to escape on foot.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - http://www.airwarpublications.com

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”