He 162 at Duxford, restoration or reconstruction?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
David1819

He 162 at Duxford, restoration or reconstruction?

Post by David1819 » 08 Sep 2014, 23:31

I have seen this aircraft myself at Duxford not sure if its still there now

While I was looking I thought to myself when does restoration become considered a reconstruction?
The aircraft look as if it was built yesterday so over nearly 70 years it must have had so many replacements and restoration work
at some point would most of the original parts have been replaced thus making it strictly speaking a reconstruction?

phylo_roadking

Re: HE 162 at Duxford, restoration or reconstruction?

Post by phylo_roadking » 08 Sep 2014, 23:47

While I was looking I thought to myself when does restoration become considered a reconstruction?
The aircraft look as if it was built yesterday so over nearly 70 years it must have had so many replacements and restoration work
at some point would most of the original parts have been replaced thus making it strictly speaking a reconstruction?
If you think THAT'S a dilemma....think of the one courtesy of the classic warbird press....

....restoration to flightworthy status....or "restoration" for static display...!!! :roll:

If there's one thing really gets up my nose it's seeing a headline or paragraph header announcing some rare type being "restored"....and when you read it, the aforementioned aircraft is just getting a new coat of paint to sit gathering dust again!
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

David1819

Re: HE 162 at Duxford, restoration or reconstruction?

Post by David1819 » 09 Sep 2014, 03:22

phylo_roadking wrote: If you think THAT'S a dilemma....think of the one courtesy of the classic warbird press....

....restoration to flightworthy status....or "restoration" for static display...!!! :roll:

If there's one thing really gets up my nose it's seeing a headline or paragraph header announcing some rare type being "restored"....and when you read it, the aforementioned aircraft is just getting a new coat of paint to sit gathering dust again!
I am not too concerned about it being flight worthy, I like to know if what i am seeing is a genuine relic being preserved.

I watched a program the other day about tank collectors doing ww2 tank restorations they had some panther tank it was basically a rusty shell barley could be recognised and after all the work its more or less a brand new tank not to be considered a museum piece at all, why not start from scratch? the end result is the same.

Like this photo below from duxford they look good as new! which raises the question where these aircraft really above the sky's
in 1940s :? Also the Tiger tank at Duxford is a reproduction it was used in the 1996 film saving private ryan

phylo_roadking

Re: He 162 at Duxford, restoration or reconstruction?

Post by phylo_roadking » 09 Sep 2014, 20:38

Like this photo below from duxford they look good as new! which raises the question where these aircraft really above the sky's
in 1940s
Well David....that's ANOTHER issue entirely - because if you scope out the position of the engine exhaust stubs, you'll see they aren't Bf 109s at all...they're Hispano Aviacion H1-1112-M1Ls, the "Buchon"...probably ex-stars of the silver screen from the 1969 "Battle Of Britain"!

IIRC the only "real" Bf 109 at Duxford is the Bf 109E in Hangar 4, as part of a "crashed" tableau...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duxford_Im ... uxford.jpg

Note where the exhaust stubs SHOULD be on a 109....at the bottom of the engine cowling!
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

David1819

Post by David1819 » 10 Sep 2014, 17:21

phylo_roadking wrote: Well David....that's ANOTHER issue entirely - because if you scope out the position of the engine exhaust stubs, you'll see they aren't Bf 109s at all...they're Hispano Aviacion H1-1112-M1Ls, the "Buchon"...probably ex-stars of the silver screen from the 1969 "Battle Of Britain"!

IIRC the only "real" Bf 109 at Duxford is the Bf 109E in Hangar 4, as part of a "crashed" tableau...

Note where the exhaust stubs SHOULD be on a 109....at the bottom of the engine cowling!
To make matters worse I have just realised that so called Me 109 is actually a spitfire with 109 wings and 109 aircraft canopy

Look closer you will notice its 90% spitfire 8O

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 10 Sep 2014, 21:02

David1819 wrote:To make matters worse I have just realised that so called Me 109 is actually a spitfire with 109 wings and 109 aircraft canopy
Look closer you will notice its 90% spitfire
What Me 109 are you talking about that is 90% Spitfire? :?

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 10 Sep 2014, 22:31

David -
To make matters worse I have just realised that so called Me 109 is actually a spitfire with 109 wings and 109 aircraft canopy
Look closer you will notice its 90% spitfire
It's not; the HA1-1112-M1L "buchon" is a Bf 109 airframe, but with a Merlin engine fitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buch%C3%B3n#HA-1112-M1L

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”