German civilian awareness of Erich Hartmann during WWII

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
ghostlover

German civilian awareness of Erich Hartmann during WWII

Post by ghostlover » 22 Jun 2015, 17:58

I'm not sure where to post this question, here, since Hartmann was part of the Luftwaffe or in the propaganda section of the forum...
I've been combing the internet and have a done a search here regarding German civilians' awareness of Hartmann and his aviation record during WWII.
Does anyone out there have any sense as to when the general public in Germany may gained insight into Erich Hartmann's military contributions during WWII? Did German civilians only become aware of his accomplishments following the war, or were civilians aware of him during the war?

I'm finding a great deal of public awareness/interest about Hartmann post-WWII, but I'm having a difficult time locating any information about public awareness (articles in the newspapers, etc.) during the war in Germany. I'm not necessarily interested in whether or not Hartmann's accomplishments were part of the Nazi propaganda campaign. I simply want to know if German civilians knew of him during the war and if so, when they may have become aware of him.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”