More information about Luftnachrichten

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
james37

More information about Luftnachrichten

Post by james37 » 26 Jul 2015, 12:55

Hello!
During my researches I found the name of a particular german unit: "Luftnachrichten-RV-Abteilung (mot.) z.b.V. 2".

I search on google but I could not find anything useful. I found only that it was a trasmission unit of Luftwaffe.

However during the months from January to June 1944 in Italy what specific role it had? What was his structure?

Another thing I don't understand is that for Wehrmacht,for example, the 29. Pz. Gren.Div. was submitted to the XIV. Panzerkorps who was part of 14. Armee but the "Luftnachrichten-RV-Abteilung (mot.) z.b.V. 2" had the same structure?

How many units were there like this one? For example: Luftnachrichten-RV-Abteilung (mot.) z.b.V. 3, z.b.V. 4, etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Larry D.

Re: More information about Luftnachrichten

Post by Larry D. » 26 Jul 2015, 15:15

During my researches I found the name of a particular german unit: "Luftnachrichten-RV-Abteilung (mot.) z.b.V. 2".

I search on google but I could not find anything useful. I found only that it was a trasmission unit of Luftwaffe.

However during the months from January to June 1944 in Italy what specific role it had? What was his structure?
RV = Richtverbindungs = Line-of Sight Communications, i.e., microwave transmitter/receiver sites located on mountain tops that were within sight of the next site, which was within sight of the next site, and so forth. They handled both voice and teletype traffic. Each site was manned by 10 to 12 men. An RV-Abteilung had a Stab (HQ staff) and 4 Kompanien (companies) numbered 1. through 4. Each Kompanie could man and operate 10 to 12 RV sites. The sites were fixed (stationary) and did not move unless the front moved forward or retreated. There were a total of 5 Ln.-RV-Abt. z.b.V. and these were numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 11. There were also 15 various types of independent Ln.-RV-Kpn. and Ln.-RV-Züge. They operated mainly in the East (Russia), the Balkans, North Africa and Italy. On 25 January 1944, the Stab of Ln.-RV-Abt. z.b.V. 2 was located in Soriano/Italy. That's all I know.

L.

james37

Post by james37 » 28 Jul 2015, 14:25

Thank you so much Larry for all the informations you provided to me.

I do not understand only two things. First of all, when you wrote that each kompanie could operate 10 to 12 RV site what you mean? A Kompanie had all the man located in maximum 12 RV site? So if it is, a Kompanie could have 100 enlisted men in its rank or am I wrong?

The last thing is the Ln.-R.V.-Abt. z.b.V. were all indipendent or not? In boh cases if I understand well they were important to handle the voice and teletype traffic of Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht units.
I saw also on the website of ARGUS Bundesarchiv that in Freiburg there are some documents of Luftnachrichtentruppen but nothing of the unit I am looking. Do you have any ideas where I could find something?

Thank you for your help!

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 28 Jul 2015, 14:59

James -

I do not know the personnel strength of each Kompanie, but it was probably 120 to 160, of which all by 2 or 3 were NCOs and men.

Yes, all of the RV Abteilungen z.b.V. were independent.

Here are the KStNs for the RV units:

3102 b Stab einer Luftnachrichten-Abteilung (mot)
3183 leichte Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungskompanie (mot)
3185 schwere Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungskompanie (mot)
3185 Luftnachrichten-Richtverbildungskompanie (v)
3186 Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungsbetriebskompanie (o)
3187 Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungsbetriebspersonalkompanie
3191 Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungsbetriebszug (o)
3442 Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungsgerätkolonne (mot)

The only source I know of that has a substantial amount of material on the RV units is:

Hoffmann, Karl-Otto. Ln: Die Geschichte der Luftnachrichtentruppe, 3 Bde (Neckargemünd, 1965-73).

Best,

Larry

james37

Post by james37 » 03 Aug 2015, 21:19

Thank you very much Larry!! Now I have absolutely the ideas more clear about this topic :)

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”