Where was the Luftwaffe?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Gorque

Where was the Luftwaffe?

Post by Gorque » 23 Jan 2016, 23:27

My current reading (Stargardt, The German War) mentions the absence of the Luftwaffe during the German advances of October '41.
Since the beginning of October, the Luftwaffe had hardly been sighted, while the Red Air Force struck ever more effectively against the nearly stationary German targets
(p. 191) from Wagner (ed) Soviet Air Force in World War II 68 ff

and
As they advanced over the open terrain towards the city [Orel], the motorized infantry manoevered their light vehicles around the tanks, using them as cover against the Soviet aeroplanes they could see taking off from the airfield nearby. They had seen nothing of the Luftwaffe for days.
(p. 187) from Hartmann, Wehrmacht im Ostkrieg p. 307-8

Were the air formations assigned to support AGC redirected to other sectors during October '41 or did other conditions exist, i.e. resupply difficulties, an unfavorable location for suitable facilities/run-ways?

Larry D.

Re: Where was the Luftwaffe?

Post by Larry D. » 24 Jan 2016, 01:59

Depends on the date in October. On 2 October, Operation Typhoon began with the Luftwaffe's assets largely concentrated along the Smolensk - Vyazma - Moscow axis. On 8 October, winter weather set in and this greatly affected the number of missions that could be flown. Besides, the Heer was always grousing about lack of Luftwaffe air support no matter how many missions were being flown along the front.

L.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 25 Jan 2016, 00:20

Larry D. wrote:Depends on the date in October. On 2 October, Operation Typhoon began with the Luftwaffe's assets largely concentrated along the Smolensk - Vyazma - Moscow axis. On 8 October, winter weather set in and this greatly affected the number of missions that could be flown. Besides, the Heer was always grousing about lack of Luftwaffe air support no matter how many missions were being flown along the front.

L.
Hi Larry D:

Thanks for the insights! :thumbsup:

I did a little searching regarding the Luftwaffe during October and located a quote by Hans Rudel regarding the Luftwaffe's falling serviceability rate:
"Gradually the cold weather sets in and we get a foretaste of approaching winter. The fall in the temperature gives me, as engineer officer of the squadron, all kinds of technical problems, for suddenly we begin to have trouble with our aircraft which is only caused by the cold."
(Rudel, Stuka Pilot, p. 45)

I'm not familiar with what was the normal serviceability for the Luftwaffe in 1941, but David Stahel notes that:
By the beginning of October the serviceability rate throughout the Luftwaffe's bomber force had sunk to just 40 per cent and was continuing to decline.
(David Stahel, Operation Typhoon, p. 240)

steverodgers801

Post by steverodgers801 » 26 Jan 2016, 20:50

The Soviets were operating from prepared bases that included heated hangers. The Luftwaffe's forward base units like the other units could barely move and it was nearly impossible for them to set up landing strips and when they could the planes were out doors and the freezing temperatures meant that like tanks, planes were not able to operate.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 26 Jan 2016, 21:16

steverodgers801 wrote:The Soviets were operating from prepared bases that included heated hangers.
Good point! I didn't take that into consideration.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”