Staffel organisation

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
ManwithaFineMoustache

Staffel organisation

Post by ManwithaFineMoustache » 21 Aug 2016, 05:15

Does anyone happen to know if Luftwaffe fighter squadrons (or Staffeln) were organised into coloured sections or flights like the RAF or USAAF?

I read somewhere that the Luftwaffe did have a structure where each section or flight of four aircraft (called a Schwarm) was colour coded in the same way as the RAF had blue section, red section, green section etc, however Franz Stigler's ME109 was titled White 12 because he was in White Squadron.

Is this how he would have been addressed over the RT, or would he have been addressed according to whichever section he was in? The RAF would refer to one another as "Blue Leader" or "Red 2" according to whatever section one was in, did the Germans do the same?

Thanks

von thoma

Re: Staffel organisation

Post by von thoma » 27 Aug 2016, 21:01

Yes, they used colours for ID the number of Staffeln in each Gruppen, according with this table...
staffel-gruppe-geschwxzs2m.jpg
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Andrew Arthy

Re: Staffel organisation

Post by Andrew Arthy » 31 Aug 2016, 08:56

Hi,

Attached are some German RT transmissions intercepted by the British on 8 May 1941, mostly between fighter aircraft. Jagdgeschwader 3 lost several aircraft in the Channel on this day, so I assume these transmissions are from pilots of that unit searching for their downed airmen.
IMG_0907.JPG
Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - http://www.airwarpublications.com/earticles

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”