Was Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring an Idiot?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
MVSNConsolegenerale

Was Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring an Idiot?

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 06 May 2002, 22:35

[Moved from the Polls section]

"...Göring talked of little else but the jewels he owned. In fact, he had some beautiful rings on his fingers . . . On the way to the station he wore a great stale coat, something between what automobile drivers wore in 1906 and what a high-grade prostitute wears to the opera."
- Count Ciano on Göring in his diary.

It seems nobody has anything good to say about Göring. What do you think?

In order to reduce the scope of this...i am refering to his effect on the war. not if he was hitler loyal, etc.

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 06 May 2002, 23:50

Despite attempts from Scott Smith to whitewash his image :mrgreen: , Hermann Wilhelm Göring was the worst possible commander of the German Air Forces in the 1940 conditions. He had been once a great pilot, but he grew progressively crazy, "helped" by the drugs he took(thing which we've already discussed here: http://thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1970)

His place near Hitler was due to three things: a) his participation in the 1923 putsch, thus he was an "old comrade", b) his foundation of the Gestapo, which he had given to Himmler in 1934, c) his success in charge of the 4-Year-Plan. All three things were successes, but they had nothing to do with his basic task: air forces. He could not manage properly the Luftwaffe, and he let the personal enmities to darken his judgment, like in 1939, whenm he ordered the dismantling of the airships Graf Zeppelin and Graf Zeppelin II, only to take his revenge on Dr. Hugo Eckener, former political opponent.

If I was in Hitler's place, I would have made Göring to retire in 1939-1940, and gave the leadership of Luftwaffe to Erhard Milch.

I've voted for #3 and I consider #4 to be an uninspired joke.

~Ovidius

MVSNConsolegenerale

re: the Joke.

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 07 May 2002, 00:19

Did you read my introduction. Then you will understand where that joke comes from. And no...I do not seriously believe that anyone should click on the option unless they don't agree with any of the above.

We are all friends here. At least we are supposed to pretend we are.

Schmauser

Post by Schmauser » 07 May 2002, 02:07

I don't think he was an idiot, his performance at the nuremburg trial proved that, however to answer your question correctly, according to the war, I believe he was over-enthusiastic, Ignorant of the present military situations and basically his attentions were elsewhere when he should have been thinking about saving lives than apposed to if his toy trains were running on time!

~Rehards Schmauser

Scott Smith

REICHSMARSCHALL

Post by Scott Smith » 07 May 2002, 03:03

Ovidius wrote:If I was in Hitler's place, I would have made Goering to retire in 1939-1940, and gave the leadership of Luftwaffe to Erhard Milch.
I voted for number three also and I have stated before that Hitler should have replaced the great Reichsmarschall in 1940 with GFM Milch.

Hitler could have then groomed Göring for other jobs that more properly suited his immense talents.
:)

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 07 May 2002, 06:14

"a great fighter pilot, but he should have stayed in the cockpit as he was not meant for anything larger"

I chose that one.

mike

mike mccann

Post by mike mccann » 07 May 2002, 06:39

Göring bacame a drunken slob, unworthy of rule really after the night of long knives. He was, however, able to use his wonderful gift of charisma in Nurnmburg after the war only when he effectivly weined off the morphine he hopelessly became addicted to after his ineffective contributions from 1937-45

Scott Smith

Hermann Göring

Post by Scott Smith » 07 May 2002, 08:54

mike mccann wrote:Goering bacame a drunken slob, unworthy of rule really after the night of long knives. He was, however, able to use his wonderful gift of charisma in Nurnmburg after the war only when he effectivly weined off the morphine he hopelessly became addicted to after his ineffective contributions from 1937-45
From 1933-1940, Göring, more than anyone else, built the Luftwaffe from scratch until it became the powerful machine seen at Dunkirk in 1940.

After that point "Fatty" was out of his league technically and strategically, and a holder of an empty office as Hitler's successor. But one of the lesser-appreciated reasons that Germany did so well fighting the Allied bombardments is due to the infrastructure for civil-defense laid by Göring before the war.

The Reichsmarschall did become rapaciously indolent like a imperial blob but rallied at the end when his nation was on trial at Nuremberg.

Last edited by Scott Smith on 06 Jun 2002, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 07 May 2002, 12:21

The Reichsmarschall did become rapaciously indolent like a imperial blob but rallied at the end when his nation was on trial at Nuremberg.
His nation? He and other Nazi bigshots, I would say.

Raf

Post by Raf » 07 May 2002, 16:55

Göring had a great reputation as a war hero in WW 1 but when he got wounded he got addicted, against his wil at morphine. This addiction had a big influence on his acting. Above this he was flamboyant and loved luxury and when the nazies came into power he had the opportunity to enrich himself. Maybe, when things had been different, getting wounded I mean, his character would have been progressed otherwise.

Scott Smith

A Nation on Trial...

Post by Scott Smith » 07 May 2002, 21:12

Roberto wrote:
A view certainly held by Germany's present-day leaders and the plastic-spoon generations that don't know anything about the times.

Ron Birch

Post by Ron Birch » 09 May 2002, 13:03

As a Reichsmarchall...........dumbarse!

Ron Birch

Post by Ron Birch » 09 May 2002, 13:06

But he probably spelled better than me.........DOH! :monkee:

Roberto

Re: A Nation on Trial...

Post by Roberto » 09 May 2002, 21:07

Scott Smith wrote:
Roberto wrote:
A view certainly held by Germany's present-day leaders and the plastic-spoon generations that don't know anything about the times.
It's good that we have the omniscient Reverend who knows everything about those times. At least one faithful True Believer to remind us of the Truth.

Ovidius

Re: A Nation on Trial...

Post by Ovidius » 09 May 2002, 21:45

Roberto wrote:It's good that we have the omniscient Reverend who knows everything about those times. At least one faithful True Believer to remind us of the Truth.
Isn't it !? Keep the Faith, fellow Revisionists - the Nazis and the SS were the good guys and so on, by our dear friend F P Berg, Grand Priest of the Faith itself, right, Mr. Mühlenkamp? :P

You know what's the paradox here?

That despite all the gaschambers, mass graves, ovens, extermination camps and anti-partisan shooting sprees, despite the fact that a guy who considers them "good guys" use on them the insulting nickname Nazis, Hitler's men were still the good guys - or at least the "lesser evil" out of all possible alternatives. (Hollow bunk :mrgreen: )

While the fact that there were some votes for option #4, which the author himself admits has been put there mockingly, is just plain stupid. :P

~Ovidius

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”