Loss Details.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Loss Details.

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 13 Jan 2017, 05:42

Been surfing through this section looking for info and sources on aircraft losses in specific battles & general campaigns. Or for entire years. A lot less found so far than I expected. First off can anyone point to the best sources for this subject?

I see a lot of numbers tossed around, but usually lacking in context. which make it difficult to truly compare or see any meaning. If there were any specific period I'd like to analyze it would be 1943, or the months Feb thru September of that year.

Thanks for any help

thaddeus_c

Re: Loss Details.

Post by thaddeus_c » 29 Jan 2017, 12:44

Carl Schwamberger wrote:I see a lot of numbers tossed around, but usually lacking in context. which make it difficult to truly compare or see any meaning. If there were any specific period I'd like to analyze it would be 1943, or the months Feb thru September of that year.
what I have problem locating (or sorting thru) is effective strength of units. the LW at least DID recycle a fair number of aircraft to usable state but production numbers seem to overstate situation sometimes?

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Loss Details.

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 14 Feb 2017, 02:58

At some point the airframes became beyond the repair capacity of the German field repair depots. I have been told airframes rebuilt above a certain level, perhaps at factory run facilities were counted as new production. That is the wreck was stricken from the air force inventory & put back on it later when a operational airframe was accepted.

I've not got around to confirming this practice, but wonder if it accounts for a noticeable portion of annual new production deliveries?

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”