Museums with Axis aircraft

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Marcus

Museums with Axis aircraft

Post by Marcus » 18 Aug 2005, 18:00

Hello all,

I have a section on the site that lists museums that include Axis equipment in their collections and I'd like your help with expanding that section.

Any other museums that should be included?
Additional information on the museums listed?
Corrections to the information listed?
Photos from the museums that I can add to the site?
etc

You can find the list at http://www.axishistory.com/index.php/ot ... -equipment

/Marcus

Shc

Post by Shc » 30 Oct 2005, 11:41

Museum missing in the list:
-USS Intrepid ( Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum ) - New York city

I'm going to visit there in 2 weeks so I might take some pictures.

~Shc~

Ove

Re: Museums

Post by Ove » 02 Nov 2005, 20:12

Marcus Wendel wrote:Hello all,

I have a section on the site that lists museums that include Axis equipment in their collections and I'd like your help with expanding that section.

Any other museums that should be included?
Additional information on the museums listed?
Corrections to the information listed?
Photos from the museums that I can add to the site?
etc

You can find the list at http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=56

/Marcus
[email protected]
The museum outside Oslo "Forsvarsmuseet Flysamlingen" includes He 111 and Ju 52 in very good conditions, the where broght op from lakes in Norway. There are also one Ju 88, its a wreck
:)

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 03 Feb 2006, 06:07

A note:

Chaplain Fighter Museum in Mesa AZ is no longer there. It was bought and moved to Portland Oregan? Anyway somewhere in the Northwest region.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Feb 2006, 00:01

T. A. Gardner wrote:A note:
Chaplain Fighter Museum in Mesa AZ is no longer there. It was bought and moved to Portland Oregan? Anyway somewhere in the Northwest region.
Is that the Champlin Fighter Museum?

/Marcus

T. A. Gardner

Moved museum

Post by T. A. Gardner » 09 Feb 2006, 03:15

Yes, Marcus, that is the one. Too bad too. They had a really great machinegun and autocannon collection as well. The Commerative Airforce (ex Confederate Airforce) still has some of their aircraft there though. You can get a B-17 ride for like $500 from them.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Feb 2006, 12:11

Thanks, I'll remove it from the list.

/Marcus

PJF

Post by PJF » 10 Feb 2006, 00:04

Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin (Berlin German Technical Museum) recently opened a air/sea wing which includes a couple of examples of nazi era aircraft including a Me 109, Ju 52, Me 110 and Ar 96 as well as others.

Also a few examples of missile and rocket technology.

Apparently they will also have a He 162 but to my disappointment it was still under wraps during my visit in January.

I think it was worth the visit and I was lucky in that the museum was hosting a special joint exhibition by the DTM and the Czech Military Museum regarding the Heydrich Assasination - that exhibit was more than a bonus and I believe that it will be in place until April
Attachments
DTM4.jpg
DTM4.jpg (185.8 KiB) Viewed 58230 times

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 11 Feb 2006, 20:56

Thanks PJF, I didn't know they had opened such a section.

/Marcus

Me-262a

Re: Museums

Post by Me-262a » 27 Apr 2006, 05:16

Marcus Wendel wrote:Photos from the museums that I can add to the site?
etc

/Marcus
[email protected]
I have several photos I took at a American musuems while on vacation in 2004. They include aircraft, artifacts, uniforms and paintings. If you point me in the right direction I'll glady share them.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Apr 2006, 19:25

You can send them to me at [email protected]
Thanks.

/Marcus

stril

Post by stril » 19 Sep 2006, 13:57

Hello
Added a photo from Dombås Krigsminnesamling.
It is remains of a JU-88 that made a forced landing on the 8/5-45, one of the aircrafts involved in the Kurland flights.(Halbstaffel 1.(F)/124 WNr.1231 http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/storkollen.html )
The museum has other remains of aircrafts among other things.
http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/dombas.html

The museum is situated in Hinden Leir, a former german camp.
Adress:
Hinden Leir v/Jora Miljøstasjon
2660 Dombås
Telephone:61 24 13 79
E-Mail:[email protected]
Opening hours is on thursdays from 10-14, but its easy to arrange a a visit outside the opening hours.
regards
stril

alf

Post by alf » 19 Sep 2006, 15:07

Marcus, the information for Australia needs to be updated slightly.
The Australian War Memorial (Museum) in Canberra has two sites.

The Musum proper

Australian War Memorial
Treloar Crescent, (top of ANZAC Parade)
Campbell ACT, 2612
AUSTRALIA
http://www.awm.gov.au/aboutus/visit_guide.asp

And The Treloar Centre
Treloar Technology Centre
Vicars & Callan Streets, Mitchell, ACT

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/restore/au ... annex.html
This facility contains the Australian War Memorial's larger collection of aircraft and military treasures related to Australian military involvement in nearly a century of conflicts. Guided tours are provided by staff to small groups. Their collection is amazing and very large, and every part of the collection deserves a page worth of information
Aircraft in particular are "rotated" between both sites, the Me109G, I last saw unassembled at the Treloar Centre whilst the Me 163 was moved to the Museum.

People visiting Canberra should try and see the Treloar Centre, it is an aladdins cave of equipment most of it awaiting restoration or being overhauled, its more a workshop than a museum proper.
World War II Europe
Of interest is a V-2 Rocket & Launch Trailer. This mobile trailer is the only such example left in the world. Also, an Me 109G, the only airframe in the world left in its original war camouflage scheme. And Luftwaffe secret weapons, Me 262 affectionately know as "Black X" wk nr 500200 and Me 163. A T-34 tank, and several German guns and weapons, like a wheel mounted 20mm cannon.
regards

alf

Fireman5230

Post by Fireman5230 » 14 Dec 2006, 06:27

Delaware Valley Historical Aircraft Association is housed on part of the Willow Grove Joint Reserve Center (old Naval Air Station) in Pennsylvania and has the USA's only Me 262 two seater on display. The base is easy to get to just outside Philadelphia by taking Broad Street (Aka State Route 611) North. The museum is free and operates on donations. It has a small display of uniforms and equipment of the Luftwaffe. Also there are other mostly NAVY Aircraft outside the main building.

"WHITE 35", a Me 262 B-1a was the two seat trainer version of the Me 262, which was the first jet aircraft to see combat. The werk # is 110639. Willow Grove's Me 262 B-1a was the only trainer version to survive the war. It was captured when allied forces over ran the Luftwaffe airfield at Lechfield, Germany in April 1945. Serving with the 3rd Fighter Replacement Training Group (III./EJG 2), this particular aircraft had been delivered to the unit in November 1944. It was restored in late 2000 and a new home was built to hold the aircraft.

The link for the website is:
http://www.dvhaa.org

Or to view the 262 information just go to:
http://www.dvhaa.org/me262.htm

Enjoy!

vonstigler

Post by vonstigler » 24 Dec 2006, 22:04

Don't forget about the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. Free admission and free parking. I have been to this one and I was amazed. Everything from pieces of the original Wright Flyer to present day aircraft are on display. They have a good line up of Luftwaffe aircraft. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/exhibi ... /index.asp

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”