Ju 87 Stuka Replica

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Biber

Re: Ju 87 Stuka Replica

Post by Biber » 25 Sep 2009, 20:29

Maybe less than full-scale is a licencing or registration issue. The feds have got to be behind it somehow.

b

vanir

Post by vanir » 26 Sep 2009, 04:31

Hey actually that makes sense. I assume less than full scale use typical (outdated or contemporary) commercial engines of ca.230hp, where your typical warbirds are 1100hp on up. Safety regs have probably tightened since they were in production, meaning specific warbird registration would be needed to operate at accurate period specs, etc.
Jason

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 26 Sep 2009, 17:41

The real Stuka I mentioned was photographed at RAF Henlow - it was a Ju 87 D-3, WNr 494083 It's pictured parked up horizontally with it's tail raised up on a dolly, and the fuel container beside it - looks as if they got the prop to turn under it's own power for cockpit shots :wink: I'll check the list of Ju 87 survivors to see where it is now...

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 26 Sep 2009, 17:44

Interesting! Here's the Wiki list of survivors...
The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry has a Ju 87 R-2/Trop., captured in Libya in 1941 and subsequently sent to the US.
A Ju 87 G-2, captured by British troops in Germany in 1945, is displayed in the RAF Museum in London.
The Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin has the wreckage of two complete aircraft that were recovered from separate crash sites near Murmansk in 1990 and 1994.
The Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum displays the remains of an aircraft that crashed near Saint-Tropez in 1944 and was raised from the seabed in 1989.
In October 2006, a Ju 87 D-3/Trop. was recovered underwater, near Rhodes.[156]
Junkers Ju-87B-2 9801 (serial number: 0406) under reconstruction at Yugoslav Aeronautical Museum
...and it doesn't seem to correspond to any of those!!! 8O Time to go hunting...

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 26 Sep 2009, 17:49

http://www.spitfire-mk9.com/junker_ju_87.html

Here we are....it's the Hendon G-2 misidentified!
Werknummer 494083 (registered as RI+JK) was delivered in 1942 and captured, in Northern Germany, by British Forces in May 1945 at Eggebeck and is one of only two intact survivors. Subsequently 494083 was transferred to the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough for flight testing before being stored at RAF St Athan in Wales.

The RAF gave permission to fly 494083 for the Battle of Britain film, however, inspection of the airframe revealed that it would take a lot of time and money to make 494083 fly and so the plans were dropped (the scene of Ventnor Radar Station being dive bombed by Ju 87s was filmed instead with radio controlled models).

This plane was a so called “Panzerknacker” (tank buster) and was originally fitted with two 3,7 cm cannon under each wing. A symbolized tank can be seen on the cowling, maybe to signify a kill? Clearly the anti-tank guns have been removed and “bomb equipment” installed. The aircraft was moved to Hendon in 1978 and in the photos it is displayed as 10. (PZ) Staffel II./Schlachtgeschwader 3.
Anyone got a lot of time and money??? :D

EDIT: note the words "inspection of the airframe" - THIS would lead me to think the engine was indeed fine...

Hellfirecornerjohnny

Post by Hellfirecornerjohnny » 14 Jan 2010, 23:33

If anyone is at all interested, I was in the Dover,Kent, England area when the film Battle of Britain was being made. I saw many of the model flying replicas, and they were truly commanding in appearance. I also saw several of the dog fight scenes being filmed from two B-24 bombers flying up and down the English Channel between Ramsgate, Dover and Folkestone.
I also saw what appeared to be an original Ju 87 parked in a meadow near to Dover Castle. It was not a converted Percival Proctor; I am ex RAF and know a Proctor when I see one.

When the film making was over in the Dover area, several of the Me 109 and Spitfire replicas were donated to the town. I do not know what happened to them, but I do know that one was mounted on a pylon on the roof of a sea front hotel for a couple of years.
I also happen to know a chap who owns and flies a 7/10 scale Stuka. He lives in Maine, and is very busy, and much in demand at WW2 airshows as one may well imagine.
I was a young boy in England during WW2, and am very familiar with the real thing that used to come across the Channel to take a few pot shots at RAF Manston and the coastal towns.

eisenbahn9

Post by eisenbahn9 » 20 Jan 2010, 02:50

Yes, we're certainly interested! The scale Stukas used for the dive-bombing sequences seemed to have been a closely guarded secret (at least during filming and even after the film was released). I was not aware until recently that an attempt was made to restore the Ju 87G housed at Hendon back to flying condition. There also seems to be some confusion regarding the size of the models and the engines used, etc. I've read that at least some of the Stukas were 1/2 scale and used Percival Proctor engines. Any truth to that? Also, I've seen one picture on the cover of an R/C flying magazine showing a man holding up a large-scale model of an Me 110 Zerstorer but none of these appeared in the film. Did you see any of these flying about at the time?

tankforce

Post by tankforce » 21 Jan 2010, 16:53

my favorit warbirds are stuka Ju 87 & english typhoon for great design ;)
old nice pixs from stuka
http://www.v-like-vintage.net/en/search ... 20junkers/

Hellfirecornerjohnny

Post by Hellfirecornerjohnny » 24 Jan 2010, 01:55

I saw two converted Percival Proctors in an aviation magazine some years ago, and they would not have fooled anyone who knew anything about Ju 87's. It was an expensive and poor attempt that came to naught.
As I had previously said, I did see some of the flying models of the Spitfire and the Me 109. Their wingspan was some 10 feet or so, and they were beautifully made. I am afraid that I know nothing about their power plants.

At the time, I was flying out of Lyminge Airport, and three He 111 bombers were tied down there, I believe that they belonged to the Spanish Air Force, but I am not sure. I do not know where the two B-24 Mitchell bombers that were used for the English Channel dog fight sequences flew from. It may well have been Manston, but who knows? Not much else I can tell you really. It was nostalgic for me as I had been in that very area during "Der Blitz" era, and the Battle of Britain. That area of South East England, and Kent in particular were known as "Hellfire Corner" and with good reason. We took a hell of a pounding from the Luftwaffe, but that is another story, and few are interested these days anyway. Good luck to you all.

Hellfirecornerjohnny

Post by Hellfirecornerjohnny » 01 Feb 2010, 06:25

I know the gentleman who lives in Maine and owns and pilots the 7/10 scale Langhurst Ju 87. You may view some of his videos on You Tube by selecting "Stukadriver" from the menu bar. He is much in demand for WW2 aviation re enactments. I would refer you to a previous post by G melinn April 9th 2009.

husker3000

Post by husker3000 » 02 Feb 2010, 03:33

phylo_roadking wrote:Interesting! Here's the Wiki list of survivors...
The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry has a Ju 87 R-2/Trop., captured in Libya in 1941 and subsequently sent to the US.
A Ju 87 G-2, captured by British troops in Germany in 1945, is displayed in the RAF Museum in London.
The Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin has the wreckage of two complete aircraft that were recovered from separate crash sites near Murmansk in 1990 and 1994.
The Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum displays the remains of an aircraft that crashed near Saint-Tropez in 1944 and was raised from the seabed in 1989.
In October 2006, a Ju 87 D-3/Trop. was recovered underwater, near Rhodes.[156]
Junkers Ju 87 B-2 9801 (serial number: 0406) under reconstruction at Yugoslav Aeronautical Museum
...and it doesn't seem to correspond to any of those!!! 8O Time to go hunting...
I don't know if it was on loan from one of the museum's, but in the late 80's there was a Ju 87 on display at the Frankfurt airport up on the observation deck. Don't have any idea if it's still there or not, but have some pictures
buried in boxes somewhere of it.

edit: (appears it might be a replica, my apologies if so)

nanabootsie

Post by nanabootsie » 05 Nov 2010, 16:46

Need to correct the state which the Stuka Replica was built, it was Carriere MISSISSIPPI and not Michigan. It was built by my uncle, Louis Langhurst and it took a long time for him to get the scaled down plans drawn so that he could construct this plane in a shed on his farm. It was fabulous and at a very young age I flew with him in the plane, it was because of that plane ride I was inspired to become a private pilot. My uncle was an extremely intelligent man and built many wonderful items from scratch, but the Stuka was by far the best. He also got permission to build a airstrip on his property. I too am looking for this plane, should anyone get current information, please post. Thank you!

THE AWFUL EGG
Location: BUFFALO,NY. Oskar Mayer/U.FeldW.(272 Fus.Btl./ODESSA)

Post by THE AWFUL EGG » 13 Nov 2010, 07:35

[quote="Hellfirecornerjohnny"]I know the gentleman who lives in Maine and owns and pilots the 7/10 scale Langhurst Ju-87. You may view some of his videos on You Tube by selecting "Stukadriver" from the menu bar. He is much in demand for WW2 aviation re enactments. I would refer you to a previous post by G melinn April 9th 2009.[/quote]

yes, my re-enactment group attends the collings foundation airshow in stow, massachussetts in early october for the past three years. we operate mr. colling's flak 88 for the show. the stuka you speak of, flys in from maine,weather permitting (he was fogged in a few times) to make a dramatic attack on the allied vehicles attacking us. makes a great impression ! he then gets hit and applies the smoke and flys out of the area. you can see it on youtube under "collings foundation re-enactment". we do two shows per day for two days with the stuka and fiessler storch.

seversky

Post by seversky » 19 Nov 2010, 10:04

Port side sheetmetal from the cockpit of a Stuka. From eastern front,found in 2010. I too remember the Frankfurt airport Stuka,does anyone know anything about it?
Attachments
stuka.jpg
stuka.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 3572 times

Dunserving

Post by Dunserving » 19 Nov 2010, 12:26

Others have mentioned the use of model Stukas in the making of the film Battle of Britain way back in the sixties.

This link: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index ... ic=3360.45

shows the filming of the scene where a "Stuka" crashes into a radar station. Scroll down near to the bottom to find it. Unfortunately one of the two pictures has been deleted.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”