Erwin von Witzleben

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
luftk

Re: von Witzleben

Post by luftk » 24 May 2015, 18:37

Cartaphilus wrote:Could anyone identify the last three ribbon of the lower bar? The first seems to be italian, but the other two...

The last three ribbons are foreign awards. You are correct- the first of the three is an Italian ribbon- the Italian Order of the Crown, Grand Cross. The second seems to be a plain ribbon, most likely Hungarian Merit Order.

The last ribbon totally eludes me.... :? Anyone have an idea what it could potentially be?

From looking at other period photos I believe it was added to his ribbon bar after he was promoted to Generalfeldmarschall and before he retired in 1942. I think a good way to ascertain what this might be is to look at what foreign powers he could have come in contact with when he was OB-West.

Cartaphilus

Post by Cartaphilus » 31 May 2015, 09:03

luftk wrote:The last three ribbons are foreign awards. You are correct- the first of the three is an Italian ribbon- the Italian Order of the Crown, Grand Cross. The second seems to be a plain ribbon, most likely Hungarian Merit Order.

The last ribbon totally eludes me.... :? Anyone have an idea what it could potentially be?

From looking at other period photos I believe it was added to his ribbon bar after he was promoted to Generalfeldmarschall and before he retired in 1942. I think a good way to ascertain what this might be is to look at what foreign powers he could have come in contact with when he was OB-West.
Hello Luftk.

The plain ribbon could be, certainly, the Hungarian Merit Order, with Green ribbon (peacetime). Many German generals were awarded by Hungary during the 30s.

The last has various colours, so it could be the Bulgarian Military Merit Order, with peacetime ribbon (yellow, white and black).

luftk

Re: Erwin von Witzleben

Post by luftk » 31 May 2015, 15:52

Thanks for the reply. :milsmile:

I do not believe it is the Bulgarian Military Merit Order. I don't think it was awarded on the yellow/black ribbon during wartime. Also the mystery ribbon is not yellow (compare the colour to the ribbon directly above for the Silesian Eagle).

When I compare the ribbon to others on the bar I think it is red with white stripes and possibly with red (?) edges. It is always difficult to do this with black and white photos.

Here are the Orders that come to mind:

-Croatian Order of King Zvominir...but how would he have gotten this while in France?
-Yugoslavian Order of the White Eagle...again, how would he have gotten this while in France?
-Italian Order of the Colonial Star...I don't think this really fits, given the regulations for receiving this Order.

I have ruled out the Italian Order of the Roman Eagle (a very good match for the ribbon) as this Order was created 14 March 1942, only a day before von Witzleben was retired. Also von Witzleben had been on sick leave from 8th March 1942.

Here is a larger photo of the ribbon bar.
Attachments
Generalfeldmarschall Erwin von Witzleben rb.jpg
Generalfeldmarschall Erwin von Witzleben (1).jpg
Generalfeldmarschall Erwin von Witzleben (1).jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 731 times

luftk

Post by luftk » 23 Oct 2018, 00:55

Could the last ribbon be:
-Romanian Order of the Star, Grand Cross
-Yugoslavian Order of the White Eagle, Grand Cross

Attachments
Rom Star Order.jpg
Rom Star Order.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Yug Order of Eag.jpg
Yug Order of Eag.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 630 times

graveland

Post by graveland » 23 Oct 2018, 13:47

luftk wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 00:55
Could the last ribbon be:
-Romanian Order of the Star, Grand Cross
-Yugoslavian Order of the White Eagle, Grand Cross

I would say that the last one (ribbon bar) is the Yugoslavian Order of the White Eagle, Grand Cross, luftk.

Cartaphilus

Post by Cartaphilus » 23 Oct 2018, 14:45

I have my doubts. The Order of the White Eagle was a high-grade decoration, reserved for Heads of State and Foreign Ministers, and not very usual for military personnel.

I only have proof of three grand crosses awarded to Germans: Hermann Göring, Erich Raeder and Constanin von Neurath. First and second were commanders-in-chiefs, bur Witzleben wasn't. Not even the commander-in-chief of the German Army, Walther von Brauchitsch, was granted with the White Eagle Order, but the Yugoslavian Crown Order (Grand Cross). Witzleben doesn't seems to be a person so important for be awarded with this high decoration, and in his military career there are not special connections with the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

luftk

Post by luftk » 04 Nov 2018, 01:17

Cartaphilus wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 14:45
I have my doubts. The Order of the White Eagle was a high-grade decoration, reserved for Heads of State and Foreign Ministers, and not very usual for military personnel.

I only have proof of three grand crosses awarded to Germans: Hermann Göring, Erich Raeder and Constanin von Neurath. First and second were commanders-in-chiefs, bur Witzleben wasn't. Not even the commander-in-chief of the German Army, Walther von Brauchitsch, was granted with the White Eagle Order, but the Yugoslavian Crown Order (Grand Cross). Witzleben doesn't seems to be a person so important for be awarded with this high decoration, and in his military career there are not special connections with the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
This makes sense. Thank you for your reply.

As a side note, perhaps it could be for the Grand Officer class? For example, Gerd von Rundstedt was awarded this grade on 06.07.1939 BUT he was based in Berlin at the time of the state visit of Prince Paul.

Shakar

Post by Shakar » 03 Jul 2021, 16:56

luftk wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 01:17
As a side note, perhaps it could be for the Grand Officer class? For example, Gerd von Rundstedt was awarded this grade on 06.07.1939 BUT he was based in Berlin at the time of the state visit of Prince Paul.
Any news on the last ribbon?
Live and learn

graveland

Post by graveland » 07 Jul 2021, 16:52

luftk wrote:The last three ribbons are foreign awards. You are correct- the first of the three is an Italian ribbon- the Italian Order of the Crown, Grand Cross. The second seems to be a plain ribbon, most likely Hungarian Merit Order.

Witzleben wearing the Hungarian Merit Order (Grand Cross).

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”