Question on Knights Cross holder Franz Kecht

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
TenorioM

Question on Knights Cross holder Franz Kecht

Post by TenorioM » 21 Jun 2006, 14:59

Hi all

Would appreciate any insights or help with the following

I own the dress dagger that once belonged to Oberleutnant Franz Kecht, who won the Ritterkreuz for heroic actions in Ukraine in 1943. My understanding is that he died from his wounds received in the same engagement that earned him the RK.

The dagger and the grouping pictured were auctioned separately in Germany years ago, I retain the catalog and description of all items and i have NO doubts regarding authenticity.

My doubt is as follows. If indeed it is true as I have read, that Kecht died from his wounds received in the engagement that earned him the RK, and that he was, presumably seriously wounded, in military hospital (Lazarette) in Ukraine until his death, how is it possible that he was pictured wearing the RK as shown??

Any insights appreciated
Attachments
FranzKecht_ItemsB.jpg
FranzKecht_ItemsB.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 669 times

TenorioM

Post by TenorioM » 21 Jun 2006, 15:02

and the Kecht dolch
Attachments
KechtDolch.jpg
KechtDolch.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 666 times

mjölnir

Post by mjölnir » 21 Jun 2006, 15:33

Hello TenorioM!
From many holders of the knightscross who died before they get their order existed pics wearing the knightscross. All of them are fotomontage. I know some oakleaves-holders in book from World War Two with these "false" order.
mjölnir

TenorioM

Post by TenorioM » 21 Jun 2006, 15:47

Vielen dank Mjolnir!

I suspected this but wasnt sure...and i did have a slight doubt in the back of mi mind, which you have now removed!

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”