color pictures of German military personalities

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
AlifRafikKhan

Re: color pictures of German military personalities

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 21 Jun 2009, 13:03

Generalleutnant Alfred Gause and Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel...

Source : http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5548/011bk.jpg
Attachments
Rommel & Gause.jpg
Rommel & Gause.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 10307 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 21 Jun 2009, 13:08

Attachments
rommelramonsbf7aa.jpg
rommelramonsbf7aa.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 3904 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 21 Jun 2009, 13:25

Oberstleutnant der Reserve Wilhelm Schöning...

Source : LIFE
Attachments
Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Schöning.jpg
Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Schöning.jpg (242.86 KiB) Viewed 3934 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 21 Jun 2009, 13:47

Generalmajor Otto-Ernst Remer...

Source : http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9271 ... pi13xa.jpg
Attachments
HG Otto-Ernst Remer.jpg
HG Otto-Ernst Remer.jpg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 3905 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 21 Jun 2009, 13:53

General der Artillerie Walter Warlimont...

Source : http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/4352 ... or12pw.jpg
Attachments
warlimontcolor12pw.jpg
warlimontcolor12pw.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 3908 times

bake

Post by bake » 21 Jun 2009, 17:38

It`s Oberleutnant Emil Lang
Same source: http://www.marhistorical.com

Sorry Dieter 8-)
Attachments
Emil Lang.jpg
Emil Lang.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

sobel

Post by sobel » 21 Jun 2009, 23:35

Please stop finally to do so !!
For reasons of historical authenticity and correctness we should solely post contemporary originals !!!!
Colorized arts are even fakes as a result of an engaged brainstorming session, interesting - but not more.
They are not a historical documentation as an original is. They are even adapted for the "what if"-section.

For the forum-staff
Dieter Zinke

Hi Dieter, I think if you look closely at the images already posted you will find (Apart from the ones watermarked Alex K,) there are many other which are not what they seem in terms of "Historical accuracy"

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 22 Jun 2009, 00:07

I think we need pauses for reflexion.
Surely things can' t go on like this.
I'm all ears for ideas for improvement from the Forum staff or the forum-members.

Dieter Zinke

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 22 Jun 2009, 00:34

So many of these pics are very commonly available and have been posted at this and other forums so many times. Pictures from Epier.com and Time Life for example.Yes one should strike a balance between basic education and high calibre research. A number of us have been here for almost a decade so it is just as un-exciting to see the same pics posted or same question asked half a dozen times as it is exciting for others. As our Forum moderators are very knowledgeable researchers and experts, they should exercise more frequently their right to delete and re-direct with respect to already posted info. I would think holding repeated data is not a cost Marcus would like to incur.

Cheers
Freiherr

sobel

Post by sobel » 22 Jun 2009, 01:57

I agree with both Freiherr and Dieter, there has to be a balance with postings made, particularly if there is any real input into the knowledge base of the forum. I Think that this is possibly the best forum for real learning and knowledge and long may it continue! I really enjoy being here.

There is unfortunately a tendency in general to just copy details from another source and to post without any specific reason for doing so. Images are a prime example, (We all like to see pictures!) many images are posted and re-posted ad nauseum. These can and are viewed on any number of locations and are not unique and add no real value.

I apologise to Dieter and the forum in general for indicating that whilst some of my images were posted from another site,(Not by me) clearly labelled as "Colourised black & White" which seems to have started this discussion. Once removed from that context they become meaningless and in the end become "Real". Unfortunately there are many which are now accepted as "Period" colour images, but are, with rudimentary scrutiny in fact "fakes", that is colourised B/W ,albeit old ones. Many are actually posted in this thread quite innocently earlier. Does an old colourised image make it any more authentic than one done yesterday?. Bit of a dilema

regards

Sobel (Alex K)

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 22 Jun 2009, 04:13

Thank you Sobel.

And for those who always pose the question "How do I know where to start?"

I have a good answer. Imagine yourself learning a language and if you complain not knowing what to look up in a dictionary because you have not come across the word before, well, where do you think you are going and will it do you any good? I have learned so much from this forum over the last 7 years, made life-long friends, made some gaffes but also decent remarks and ID's.

This is the best site in the world and is run off the most powerful data storage engine. So it is time for all of us to respect knowledge and curiosity and SEARCH before we post.

Cheers
Freiherr

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 22 Jun 2009, 12:27

Thank you for all the input from forum members. My intention in this thread is to collect color pictures of German military personalities, something that I think is very useful for some Third Reich enthusiasts. I've followed all rules regarding the source of the images (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121834). I'm sure it's the same case for someone who starts a new thread like PICS OF GENERAL... or PICS OF AWARD HOLDERS... Because the pictures also taken from various sources, and some has been posted again and again on other thread in this forum.

I always fascinated to the 'art' side of the Axis History, that's why most of my thread always involved with this (Your Third Reich Art, Ron Volstad Art, Battle (Action) Pictures, Totally Alike Third Reich Personalities, etc.), and for a historical picture, there's nothing more amazed me as the color photographs...

If this thread become polemic for some member, it's the moderator decision whether they should close this thread or not. I will respect every decision Dieter and Bernd make...

Regards,

Alif

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 22 Jun 2009, 14:57

I think there is nothing basically wrong with this thread, although increasingly the same pictures appear on ahf in different context, mostly without knowing of the posting member. Sometimes it might be necessary to do so, sometimes not. This thread, although many pictures are wellknown and have been posted before, is the largest such collection on this forum. I dont know if anyone here can just post images he or she found "somewhere" on the internet. No problems with the LIFE photos or wiki commons, but many such pictures on other sites have no copyright link. Most wont have a copyright reserve, but some will.

The best thing would be to build up an ahf picture library which automatically adds all new pictures posted by members, although I see that could create copyright problems for the ahf as well as a lot of work
freiherr wrote:This is the best site in the world and is run off the most powerful data storage engine. So it is time for all of us to respect knowledge and curiosity and SEARCH before we post.

I agree this is the best site worldwide about every aspect of the IIIrd Reich, WWII and related issues, very neutral, with only few stupid revisionists posting on it.
I agree that everyone should use the search function, and I frequently do.
But if the search delivers more than 100 entries on a single topic, for example 1050 (!) currently on Rommel on the bio-research forum alone, than its only logical its tiring to some. Maybe the posts containing pictures should be having a different backgound colour than the pure text entries. Some just look for pictures or picture-related-posts.
sobel wrote:Many are actually posted in this thread quite innocently earlier. Does an old colourised image make it any more authentic than one done yesterday?.
Of cause articial colouring done yesterday is less authentic than an original colour photo, but its not a false image if the colouring is done right by an expert like you. But its definitely needed that there is a watermark on that picture in a prominent place saying so (not just a name).

sobel

Post by sobel » 22 Jun 2009, 15:58

Frankfurter wrote:I think there is nothing basically wrong with this thread, although increasingly the same pictures appear on ahf in different context, mostly without knowing of the posting member. Sometimes it might be necessary to do so, sometimes not. This thread, although many pictures are wellknown and have been posted before, is the largest such collection on this forum. I dont know if anyone here can just post images he or she found "somewhere" on the internet. No problems with the LIFE photos or wiki commons, but many such pictures on other sites have no copyright link. Most wont have a copyright reserve, but some will.

The best thing would be to build up an ahf picture library which automatically adds all new pictures posted by members, although I see that could create copyright problems for the ahf as well as a lot of work
freiherr wrote:This is the best site in the world and is run off the most powerful data storage engine. So it is time for all of us to respect knowledge and curiosity and SEARCH before we post.

I agree this is the best site worldwide about every aspect of the IIIrd Reich, WWII and related issues, very neutral, with only few stupid revisionists posting on it.
I agree that everyone should use the search function, and I frequently do.
But if the search delivers more than 100 entries on a single topic, for example 1050 (!) currently on Rommel on the bio-research forum alone, than its only logical its tiring to some. Maybe the posts containing pictures should be having a different backgound colour than the pure text entries. Some just look for pictures or picture-related-posts.
sobel wrote:Many are actually posted in this thread quite innocently earlier. Does an old colourised image make it any more authentic than one done yesterday?.
Of cause articial colouring done yesterday is less authentic than an original colour photo, but its not a false image if the colouring is done right by an expert like you. But its definitely needed that there is a watermark on that picture in a prominent place saying so (not just a name).
I agree that for historical research AHF is the best that's why I enjoy being a member for many different topics and not just this one. You are also correct with regards to the seach function, type in Rommel and wow! which of the 1050 do you select?, it can be vague and time consuming. but is there any real alternative?

With regards to original colour and colourised images, it can be difficult to determine which are original "Wartime" images and which are colourised image of a b/w photos, others are quite easy to spot. (It does help sometimes if you do it yourself as certain attributes become clearer, it makes you actually study the image in depth.) Colourising B/W images is a bit of a grey area (No pun intended!), for many it gives a sense of reality to an image which may otherwise be glanced at and then forgotten, real life/people didn't live in a world of differing shades of grey but in full colour like you and I, others may feel that it destroys the images authenticity, colourising images have been going on for many more years than colour film has been available, how many colour postcards can you find of Kaiser Willhelm II and others which are accepted without question?

I thank you for the kind comments with regards to my images posted here, albeit not by me, I think your suggestion that images be clearly indicated as colourised B/W ones, and not just a name (at least by me) is an excellent one and will adopt that in any future attempts I undertake. (Although I doubt it will be here)

regards

Sobel

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 22 Jun 2009, 18:47

This Forum is denominated as

Axis Biographical Research.

This turns out to be actractiveness of this platform to discuss and to learn with and from eachother.
We have many experts to fill the gaps of our ignorance.

But where is the flexing of your intellectual muscles, if you are only posting
endless series of more or less well-known pics without explanatory context
from other forums around the world ???? 8-) :roll: :roll:

It seems to me to be in a
exhibition of pictures with loan collections from everywhere - but where is the elucidating catalogue
to refresh my background knowledge ???

According to an age-old theorem an insufficient therapy is to determine.

Therefore - and to my greatest regret - this thread was to be locked.

Dieter Zinke

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”