Hitler's art

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Ken

Hitler's art

Post by Ken » 15 Mar 2003, 09:01

I'm not sure where this topic should go.. but here goes..

Anyways..

Hitler was not accepted to an artschool in Vienna.. Does anyone know on what grounds was he rejected?

As I can see from his art.. it's not bad at all..

http://www.hitler.org/art/buildings/building5.jpg

I read that his art was rejected as it "lacked feeling" and that it was like a postcard.. with no expression whatsoever..

Doesn't the artist get to speak about his work, inspiration and such?

What were the criteria for selection of students?

Any other info gladly appreciated.

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 15 Mar 2003, 21:18

I believe that Hitler was a remarkably prolific artist. It is estimated that he have created about 2000 to 3000 drawings, watercolors, and oil paintings. Too bad that he was not accepted at the Vienna University art school, too bad for everybody...

Regards

Last edited by Benoit Douville on 22 Mar 2003, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

Redbaron1908

Post by Redbaron1908 » 22 Mar 2003, 04:58

I think he was not accepted because supposedly he lacked creativity the people at the art school said that his drawing looked the same as the original thing and that they were looking for creativity

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 22 Mar 2003, 17:06

As far as I know, Hitler wasn't accepted because his painting of a man's head had been considered unsatisfactory. His paintings of buildings were good, but he couldn't paint people. On this pic, for example, the people look like if a child has painted them.

MrFurious

Post by MrFurious » 22 Mar 2003, 19:24

I agree with that comment. In examining the picture you can tell that Hitler's quality was in drawing architecture. The people he drew were there as an ornament, something he placed in the image because he felt he had to. The composition in a lot of his work is fairly standard and uninspired. In this particular example the people look like Playmobil toy dolls.
But that was a bad reason for rejecting him. A school must teach its students, not assume they should only take people who already know everything. Art is about expressing something, and I think some of the Fuehrer's work was inexpressive....but not all of it. Good teachers could have helped him learn to hone his talents and to express what he had within through his art. It is really a shame that the people in charge of admissions didn't feel Hitler was worth the investment. Their laziness cost the world a high price.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”