Repatriation of Waffen-SS

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Melnyk

Repatriation of Waffen-SS

Post by Melnyk » 17 Mar 2003, 21:28

A few Waffen-SS units / units affiliated to the Waffen-SS / Waffen SS personnel who surrendered to the western Allies WERE NOT repatriated to the Soviets despite them making huge efforts to secure their return.

The repatriation of former Soviet nationals by the western allies has been fairly well docmented - for example the handover of the Cossack units by the Brits and the Americans (not forgetting that the Cossacks were offically incorportated into the Waffen-SS albeit on paper before the end of the war), however the reasons behind the exclusion of certain units has never to my mind been satisfactoraily explained.

I am familar with all the main works covering this issue - Tolstoy, Bethel etc, but I wondered whether anyone else has any views or information on this issue?

Mike Melnyk

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 18 Mar 2003, 04:29

i think any article about the repatriation of cossacks back to the soviet union should be taken with a grain of salt. count tolstoy wrote an article in british newspapers naming a certain british general(who was still alive at the time) as personal responsible for the death of thousands of cossacks by stalin. the general sued for libel, won, and bankrupted tolstoy. (the grandson of the famous tolstoy) so his article shouldn't be considered as fact at all. (referingh to tolstoys articles)

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 18 Mar 2003, 04:32

i think any article about the repatriation of cossacks back to the soviet union should be taken with a grain of salt. count tolstoy wrote an article in british newspapers naming a certain british general(who was still alive at the time) as personal responsible for the death of thousands of cossacks by stalin. the general sued for libel, won, and bankrupted tolstoy. (the grandson of the famous tolstoy) so his article shouldn't be considered as fact at all. (referingh to tolstoys articles)

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”