SS Obersturmbannfuhrer Wittmann-info needed please!

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
yorkie

SS Obersturmbannfuhrer Wittmann-info needed please!

Post by yorkie » 03 Apr 2003, 00:25

Hello!
I have just obtained 2 Luftschutz posters detailing what to do in case of air raid.These posters are for the town/village/city(?) of St Polten,which i believe to be in Austria.The posters have the name of the mayor,the kreisleiter of the NSDAP and Wittmann at the bottom.Wittmann is described as being,Der Polizeidirektor als ortl. Luftschutzleiter,and his rank is given as SS Obersturmbannfuhrer.
I would like to find out any info on this Wittmann guy,e.g,other places he served,if he survived the war,date of birth etc.
Does anyone know anything about this man or,could you suggest somewhere that I may be able to find out some information about him?
I'm hoping that I have posted this in the correct part of the forum,if not could a moderator please move it to the appropriate section.
Hoping someone can help,
Thanking you in anticipation,
Kind regards,
yorkie

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

SS-Ostubaf. Leopold Wittmann

Post by Michael Miller » 04 Apr 2003, 02:44

That is probably SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Leopold Wittmann, listed as Nr. 645 in the SS-Dienstalterliste of 1. Oktober 1944.

Here is the information given in that source:

Wittmann, Leopold
Polizeidirektor
Leutnant der Reserve a.D.

Born: 27 July 1897

NSDAP-Nr.: 6 174 780
SS-Nr.: 403 902 (indicating a rather late entrance date, probably 1942 or later)

Dienststellung as of 1. Okt. 1944: RSi-Hauptamt (Reichssicherheitshauptamt)

Awards:
Verwundetenabzeichen, 1918 in Schwarz
Ehrenkreuz fur Frontkampfer (for 1914-18 War)

The Allied intelligence publication "The German Police" from April 1945 states that the Polizeidirektor of St. Polten was indeed SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Wittmann- this source gives him the title of Dr. (which does not appear in the SS-Dienstalterliste referenced above).

Address for the Polizeidirektion St. Polten (actually an umlaut on the "o" but can't seem to make one with this keyboard) was as follows:

Polizeidirektion, Linzer STr. 47
Tel: 601-605

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller / ABR

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”