What Happened To von Stauffenberg's Body?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
dwseiple

What Happened To von Stauffenberg's Body?

Post by dwseiple » 04 May 2003, 16:16

Hello all!

Please forgive my ignorance, but I have a question about Count von Stauffenberg.
In 1992 I was in Berlin. While there I visited the Museum To The German Resistence (I forget what it is called in German) on the Bendler Strasse (now Stauffenberg Strasse) where von Stauffenberg and Beck were shot in July 1944 after the failure of the bomb plot to kill Hitler. I am wondering, what ever happened to the bodies of von Stauffenberg and Beck? I can't remember ever learning what was done with the bodies? Were they given to the families? Or were they just disposed of in an unmarked grave or burned in an oven somewhere?
I once worked with a man from Frankfurt am Main (he has since died), and this man sternly despised von Stauffenberg as being a traitor. What do you other people think of von Stauffenberg? I am curious.
Is the story of von Stauffenberg taught in the schools of Germany today? Is he portrayed as a hero or as a traitor? Or, is he merely ignored?

Thank you,
Dave (USA)

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 04 May 2003, 17:05

Burial:
Memorial to the German Resistance, Stauffenbergstr
Berlin, Germany

Sorry I don´t know exactly where was buried Stauffenberg.

I just find this.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”