Heinz-Dieter von Basse, Füsilier-Rgt. GD

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
keith A

Heinz-Dieter von Basse, Füsilier-Rgt. GD

Post by keith A » 04 Mar 2015, 16:16

This officer was assigned to GD in 1943, possibly 22 January to take command of a company. I have seen this statement quoted in Lexikon der Wehrmacht "1943 wird er zum Chef der 17. (IG) / Füsilier-Regiment "Großdeutschland" ernannt. Gleichzeitig übernimmt er die Führung des I. Bataillons" ", but 17.(IG) is an Infanteriegeschütz-Kompanie in the IV Battalion not I Batallion? My translation seems to read that he was leading 1 batallion at the same time. I know he was promoted Hauptmann in 1943 but not when, but the 1 batallion commander is Major Eberhard von Hanstein until August 1943.

Von Basse is mentioned in Spaeter's history of GD as Major (another source confirms a promotion date of 20 February 1944), commanding III Battalion in March 1944. However in the same book he is mentioned (as a Hauptmann) leading 1 battalion back to Germany after the Targul battles in mid 1944.

On his return to the front, still a Hauptmann, he is leading the 1st (SPW) battalion in the Memel battles, which would be nicknamed the "Lion" battalion.However his RKT citation attributes to him the rank of Major and so Spaeter may be mistaken.

My question is did he lead I batallion in 1943? Also what sort of IG was in use by the Füsiliers in 1943?

regards

Keith

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”