OFW Johann Schwerdtfeger - Jäger-Ersatz Bataillon 75?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
keith A

OFW Johann Schwerdtfeger - Jäger-Ersatz Bataillon 75?

Post by keith A » 07 Oct 2015, 21:00

In June 1942, after serving in Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon 75, OFW Johann Schwerdtfeger joined Jäger-Regiment 228 of the 101. Jäger-Division, who fought in the Don Bend, at Rostov, and at Maikop, in the Caucasus, and joined the retreat through the Kuban and the Taman Peninsula, the setting of the novel "Das Geduldige Fleisch2 (The Willing Flesh).

A point that should be made is that according to Lexikon der Wehrmacht Infanterie-Bataillon 75 was "Am 20. Juli 1942 wurde das Bataillon zum Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon 75 umbenannt". This seems to indicate that Schwerdfeger arrived in the unit later than June or was with the earlier formation.

regards

Keith
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 08 Oct 2015, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Schwerdtfeger - not Schwerdfeger

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Re: OFW Johann Schwerdtfeger - Jäger-Ersatz Bataillon 75?

Post by Dieter Zinke » 07 Oct 2015, 23:26

See: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Per ... fegerJ.htm

As always - the correct spelling facilitates the research :wink:

Dieter Z.

keith A

Re: OFW Johann Schwerdtfeger - Jäger-Ersatz Bataillon 75?

Post by keith A » 08 Oct 2015, 08:24

I'm a bit confused, Dieter.Did I miss out the "t"? The reason stated seems to suggest there Is a difference between Schwerdfeger and Schwerdtfeger ;) Unfortunately it doesn't get me any further towards an answer to my question.

http://s19.postimg.org/kyzke8m43/Oberfe ... remony.jpg

I believe he is on the right in this photograph. Note the mistake in the name :) I read an article published in 2014 in his local newspaper celebrating his 100th year which seems to show he suffered no lasting ill effects from his 8 battle wounds. I believe he may have returned to some form of service because one source states he was promoted to officer rank, ending the war an Oberleutnant.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”