Hitler and his Painting

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Durand

Hitler and his Painting

Post by Durand » 25 May 2003, 01:24

Hallo,

It is well-known that Hitler failed to make a go of it as an artist, but when did he last put the brush to canvas? Did he give up painting all together after becoming the leader of the NSDAP or did he paint or sketch for personal pleasure/relaxation later in life?

Regards,

Durand

AHLF

Post by AHLF » 26 May 2003, 19:54

I am familiar with an autoportret of his from 1925, maybe I'll scan it later.
Besides, he liked to draw plans of future cities in Germany, and he himself was responsible for the planning of his house (Berghof).

Geli

Post by Geli » 27 May 2003, 02:37

Good question. I've seen several photos of Hitler paintings that were dated 1928 or 1929. I once saw an article from an American magazine about how Germany's leader Adolf Hitler was "picking up the brush" again. The magazine was dated from the mid-30's.

http://www.hitler.org/art/

Durand

Post by Durand » 27 May 2003, 20:51

Hallo,

Thanks to you both for the responses. In the article to which Geli refers, it states that Hitler continued to use his artistic skills throughout his life. I knew that he sketched buildings and monuments, but I am wondering if during the war he put brush to canvas to capture an image in a quiet moment at the Berghof or some other place.

Regards,

Durand

AHLF

Post by AHLF » 28 May 2003, 18:39

Durand wrote:Hallo,

Thanks to you both for the responses. In the article to which Geli refers, it states that Hitler continued to use his artistic skills throughout his life. I knew that he sketched buildings and monuments, but I am wondering if during the war he put brush to canvas to capture an image in a quiet moment at the Berghof or some other place.

Regards,

Durand
I really doubt it...

chrisccoyle

Re: Hitler and his Painting

Post by chrisccoyle » 03 Jun 2003, 02:47

Did you know in the early days Hitler sold most of his water colours to Picture Frame makers? But did you know they were Jewish?

Durand wrote:Hallo,

It is well-known that Hitler failed to make a go of it as an artist, but when did he last put the brush to canvas? Did he give up painting all together after becoming the leader of the NSDAP or did he paint or sketch for personal pleasure/relaxation later in life?

Regards,

Durand

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”