Foreign Volunteer Knight's Cross Winners

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 13 Nov 2004, 22:03

Hi daniel,

How about the 4th frenchman who won the RK during the battle of berlin, Ostuf Weber for knocking out 16 tanks?

And 2 Japanese Admirals who received the RK (I remember one is Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto)

ninoo

Post by ninoo » 22 Nov 2004, 05:45

Hi,

I once read in one book that among the last men who got Knight Cross from Hitler during his last days were 3 Frenchmen. Is that true? Who were those guys?

Best Regards

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 22 Nov 2004, 07:06

ninoo wrote:Hi,

I once read in one book that among the last men who got Knight Cross from Hitler during his last days were 3 Frenchmen. Is that true? Who were those guys?

Best Regards
Hi,

It was Waffen Hauptsturmfuhrer der SS Henri-Joseph Fenet, Waffen Unterscharfuhrer Francois Appolot and Waffen Unterscharfuhrer Eugene Vaulot (de Gegene). All of them were awarded the Knights Cross by the Charlemagne commander, Brigadefuhrer Dr. Gutav Krukenberg

Denis

Post by Denis » 22 Nov 2004, 08:43

Panzermahn wrote:Hi daniel,

How about the 4th frenchman who won the RK during the battle of berlin, Ostuf Weber for knocking out 16 tanks?

And 2 Japanese Admirals who received the RK (I remember one is Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto)
Hi

Ostuf. Wilhelm Weber is not French, he is German and was assigned to the Charlemagne division. He has been previously assigned to the DR Division.
Regards
Denis

Denis

Post by Denis » 22 Nov 2004, 08:54

Panzermahn wrote:
ninoo wrote:Hi,

Best Regards
Hi,

It was Waffen-Hauptsturmführer der SS Henri-Joseph Fenet, Waffen-Unterscharführer Francois Appolot and Waffen-Unterscharfuhrer Eugene Vaulot (de Gegene). All of them were awarded the Knights Cross by the Charlemagne commander, Brigadeführer Dr. Gutav Krukenberg

Hi again
Just for information, even if it is very likely that Appolot has been awarded the RK (according to veterans' testimonials), he is not listed as an "official" Knights Cross holder in the masterwork of WP Fellgiebel.
Regards
Denis

ninoo

Post by ninoo » 22 Nov 2004, 10:10

Panzermahn and Denis,

Thanks a lot for your infos :D
Best Regards

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 22 Nov 2004, 13:42

Hi

Ostuf. Wilhelm Weber is not French, he is German and was assigned to the Charlemagne division. He has been previously assigned to the DR Division.
Regards
Denis
Hi Denis, thanx a lot for this info!! I was confused all the time when numerous accounts stated that 3 Frenchmen won the Rk (Fenet, Vaulot and Appolot) and i saw another name Weber..But thanks to you, i now know that he is a German..which means in the Charlemagne division (can hardly be call that, right?) had 4 RK holders, right?
Hi again
Just for information, even if it is very likely that Appolot has been awarded the RK (according to veterans' testimonials), he is not listed as an "official" Knights Cross holder in the masterwork of WP Fellgiebel.
Regards
Denis
Denis, how about Krastchmer's work on the RK holders of the Waffen SS? Did it stated that Appolot won the RK?

But allegedly, Miguel Ezquerra won the RK and he was the holder of RK to be awarded by Hitler personally. I know the works of Krastchmer did not list Ezquerra as a winner of RK but my friend and comrade, Ostuf Charlemagne testified that he personally saw Ezquerra's RK at Ezquerra's house back in the 70s when Ostuf Charlemagne was still a young teenager

Denis

Post by Denis » 22 Nov 2004, 18:01

Hello
Yes you're right, the Charlemagne has "de facto" 4 RKT (1 German, 3 French)
Unfortunately, I don't have the Kratschmer book and can't elaborate further. I know however that Ezquerra is not listed as a RKT in WP Fellgiebel. Would you know his KC bestowal date ?
Regards
Denis

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 22 Nov 2004, 18:11

Ezguerra never received the Knight's cross. The book he wrote is more or less fiction. This has been attested by Spanish veterans from Berlin. Ezguerra's book more or less serves the purpose to put himself in a good light.

Best regards/ Daniel

Denis

Post by Denis » 23 Nov 2004, 09:15

D. Löwenhamn wrote:Ezguerra never received the Knight's cross. The book he wrote is more or less fiction. This has been attested by Spanish veterans from Berlin. Ezguerra's book more or less serves the purpose to put himself in a good light.

Best regards/ Daniel
A kind of "F.E. Porsch" syndrom if I understand well....
:roll:

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 23 Nov 2004, 17:11

D. Löwenhamn wrote:Ezguerra never received the Knight's cross. The book he wrote is more or less fiction. This has been attested by Spanish veterans from Berlin. Ezguerra's book more or less serves the purpose to put himself in a good light.

Best regards/ Daniel
Hi Daniel, may i know who were the Spanish veterans who testified that Ezquerra didn't received the RK? Maybe i could get more infos on this thru my contacts.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 23 Nov 2004, 17:22

Hi, a long time ago someone posted a link to a Spanish forum which discussed the Spaniards in Berlin. The link doesn't work anymore though.

Best regards/ Daniel

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

KC in the bunker of the Reichskanzlei on 29.04.1945 ???

Post by Dieter Zinke » 12 Oct 2017, 10:41

Denis wrote:Hi,

It was Waffen-Hauptsturmführer der SS Henri-Joseph Fenet, Waffen-Unterscharführer Francois Appolot and Waffen-Unterscharführer Eugene Vaulot (de Gegene). All of them were awarded the Knights Cross by the Charlemagne commander, Brigadeführer Dr. Gutav Krukenberg
Hi again
Regards
Denis[/quote]
Im Bunker der Reichskanzlei sind angeblich durch Mohnke im Beisein von General Hans Krebs am 29. April ordnungsgemäß verliehene Ritterkreuze ausgehändigt worden an Henri Fenet, Wilhelm Weber, Friedrich Herzig, Karl Körner, Oskar Schäfer und an François Apollot. Diese Angaben entbehren nach einer Erklärung ihres Vorgesetzten, SS-Brigadeführer und Generalmajor der Waffen-SS Dr. Gustav Krukenberg, jeder Grundlage und sind “Märchen” (Quelle: Ritterkreuz-Archiv III/17, S. 20 22).

Allegedly in the bunker of the Reichskanzlei, on 29th April, in the presence of General Hans Krebs, properly awarded knights' crosses were handed over by Mohnke to Henri Fenet, Wilhelm Weber, Friedrich Herzig, Karl Körner, Oskar Schäfer, and François Apollot. According to an explanation by their superior, the Brigadeführer and Generalmajor of the Waffen-SS Dr. Gustav Krukenberg, these bestowals are without any foundation and are therefore only "fairy tales" (Source: Ritterkreuz-Archiv III / 17, p. 20 22).

Dieter Z.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”