Which SS-General in "A bridge too far"?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Calle

Which SS-General in "A bridge too far"?

Post by Calle » 18 Jun 2003, 02:20

I just finished watching this movie, and there was one SS-General (Gruppenführer I think) that I couldn't recogninze at all. I know that one is Willi Bittrich, but the other one, who was dressed in a black panzerwrapper, and refered to as General Ludwig is unknown to me. I also think he was wearing a Knight's Cross. Surely he must have been a real person, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about him, since searching both the net and this forum didn't help me :(

JC

Post by JC » 18 Jun 2003, 03:13

I believe that is intended to represent SS Brigadeführer Heinz Harmel, commander of the 10 SS Panzerdivision at that time.

Jeff

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 19 Jun 2003, 00:20

See this interesting link on the movie "A Bridge Too Far." The fictional SS-Brigadeführer Ludwig (played by Hardy Kruger) is a composite character based on SS-Obersturmbannführer Walter Harzer and SS-Brigadeführer Heinz Harmel, the commanders of the 9th SS-Panzer Division "Hohenstaufen" and the 10th SS-Panzer Division "Frundsberg" respectively.

http://www.airbornerecce.com/history/btf.htm

Regards,
Shawn

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”