Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

General Kurt Mälzer

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections.
Hosted by Dieter Zinke & Elwyn W.

General Kurt Mälzer

Postby Potsdamerplatz on 26 Nov 2006 22:22

Can anyone give me a biography of Luftwaffe General Kurt Maelzer. There seems to be very little information about him online. This is all I have been able to find:

General Kurt MÄLZER:

Tried by a U.S. military court at Florence, Italy, and sentenced to 10 years imprisonment on 14.9.46 (7 years remitted), for parading U.S. prisoners of war through the streets of Rome. General MÄLZER was also tried by a British court and sentenced to death on 30.11.46, together with General von Mackensen (q.v.), for complicity in the Ardeatine Caves massacre. Sentence confirmed, but death penalty commuted to life imprisonment (4.7.47).

Thanks in advance for all help.

Best regards,
Potsdamerplatz
Former member
United Kingdom

Postby Potsdamerplatz on 27 Nov 2006 02:06

Problem solved. I found the biography on Mr. Miller's site:

http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRM ... _KURT.html

Any other further anecdotes from anyone would be appreciated though. I gather he was quite a character.

Best regards,
Potsdamerplatz
Former member
United Kingdom

Postby Phil Nix on 27 Nov 2006 13:06

A drunk I have heard
Phil Nix
Phil Nix
In memoriam
United Kingdom

Postby Potsdamerplatz on 27 Nov 2006 14:33

Phil Nix wrote:A drunk I have heard
Phil Nix

This is correct Phil and it is because of his love for alcohol that he gained a reputation for being a bit of a "character" as I said above.
Potsdamerplatz
Former member
United Kingdom

Re: General Kurt Mälzer

Postby Igor Karpov on 19 Jun 2009 09:56

Generalmajor Kurt Mälzer (at the extreme right).

Regards,
Igor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Igor Karpov
Forum Staff
Latvia

Postby Elwyn W on 20 Jun 2009 01:01

Very interesting. If this was Mälzer, then surely from the link this was him too with all the San Marco Division soldiers there. He was Kmdt of Rome. Hard to ignore that.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147523&p=1279009&hilit=M%C3%A4lzer#p1279009

The reason why I rejected Mälzer initially was because of the Belgium LF3 pic. Dieter had identified LWGen next to Falkenhausen as Mälzer. I had always filed him under Mälzer but now I realize he never won DKiG or DKiS. My tentative suggestion was Transpspeer's man confirmed Mälzer (if you don't mind citing your source) and so was the LW Gen in the Bundesarchiv pics. Which probably leaves Biblio Verlag wrong.

But who was mystery Gen in Belgium LF3 pic?

Lastly, I now have just found a real Rieke

Cheers
Freiherr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elwyn W
Forum Staff
United States

Postby Elwyn W on 20 Jun 2009 01:49

On close examination, Transpspeer's pic was of the same occassion as one of the Bundesarchiv pics!

I can also add that in the Belgien Nordfrankreich pic, in the second row in the middle was Wilhelm Heider CdS to Falkenhausen. Rare bird.

Cheers
Freiherr
Elwyn W
Forum Staff
United States

Postby Gareth Collins on 20 Jun 2009 10:49

Which is the mystery general you refer to? I think I see Walter Sommé in the group pic. And is that Generalleutnant Friedrich Kärst second from right in front row?

Also a possible is Gen.d.Flak Dr. Eugen Weissmann on left.

PS: I agree with Elwyn. If that is Mälzer THERE it's Mälzer in the linked imaged from the BA.
Gareth Collins
United Kingdom

Postby Elwyn W on 20 Jun 2009 19:05

Hi gareth,

The ID of the LW Gen on the extreme left hand side in the front row was actually made by Miocid -- correctly -- as Frölich (Kmdr of IX Fl Korps based in Holland). But he mis-identified the RKT Heer Gen second from right. That was indeed Kärst, Kmdt of Brussels. There were pics of him in the same uniform from other occassiosn from Cegesoma Image Bank

Cheers
Freiherr
Elwyn W
Forum Staff
United States

Postby Elwyn W on 24 Dec 2009 01:42

The excellent book about 29 SSPzGr "Sentire - Pensare - Volere" by Sergio Corbatti captioned this as "Melzer" in Rome February 1944. Only minor issue is it said he was reviewing the famous commandoes from the Decima Flottiglia Xmas. I think that is wrong as Xmas personnel wore slighly different lapel insignia.

Cheers
Freiherr
Elwyn W
Forum Staff
United States

Return to Axis Biographical Research