The fate of Dr. Edward Bloch

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Gott

The fate of Dr. Edward Bloch

Post by Gott » 27 Jul 2003, 13:58

Klara Hitler went to see Dr. Edward Bloch on January 14, 1907 when as she had abnormal pain in her chest. Dr. Bloch, who was Jewish, discouvered that Hitler's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Klara's son, Adolf immediately returned home from Vienna and took care of his ill mother. A sugery was done on Klara and one of her breasts was removed, but even as Dr. Bloch tried his best to save young Hitler's mother, it was already too late as the cancer was on advanced stage where it was unlikely for her to survive. As drastic action is needed to save Klara Hitler, Dr. Bloch recommended a painful and expensive treatment in which the ill Klara was applied dosages of idoform directly onto the ulcerations that caused the cancer. The young Adolf did whatever it takes to save her mother, the one whom he truly respected. Nevertheless, Klara's situation worsened, and on December 21, 1907, she died. After Klara died, Adolf and his sister Paula was responsible to pay Dr. Bloch the medical bill. Dr. Bloch, who was touched by Adolf's love and care for his mother and how devastated was he after his mother's death, gave them a generous discount of the medical charge. Adolf Hitler was said to have said, "I shall be grateful to you forever," to Dr. Bloch.

This is all I know about Dr. Bloch, who as I mentioned earlier he was Jewish. Since Hitler had a profound gratitude for Dr. Bloch, did Hitler spared his life? What happened to Dr. Bloch?

viriato

Post by viriato » 27 Jul 2003, 15:29

Immediatly after the anschluss Hitler sent someone to approach Dr. Bloch. He was offered and eventually accepted passages for him and his family to go the USA. His assets were also fully paid by Germany. I think he lived and died in New York.

Gott

Post by Gott » 27 Jul 2003, 16:34

How many Jews that Hitler had friendly ties to had been saved by his own orders? Who was the officer who recommended Hitler an Iron Cross during FWW? What about Josef Neumann, a Jew who Hitler befriended with during his time wandering about in Vienna?

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 27 Jul 2003, 18:59

dr. bloch recived special treatment from hitler. dr, bloch wrote a book(published by harper collins press) that came out in 1941, in the united states, before the usa was involved in the fighting. dr. bloch had recived permission not to have to wear the "yellow star" on his clothes. and have a "yellow star" attached to the door of his business in austria. dr, bloch writes that after the anschlus hitler paid a visit to his hometown. as hitler was walked(or perhaps driven in an open car, i don't remember) hitler stopped and looked up and the 2nd floor window which was dr. blochs office. dr. bloch was inside, and because of how the sun reflected off the glass and the angle that bloch stood, he is sure hitler did not spot him. for a moment hitler stood still, staring at the office window of the doctor, who had tried to save his mother's life, hitler, apparently deep in reflection, stared silently, then oreder his driven to move on. later that night hitler was at an austrian nazi party function, and hitler told local members that dr. bloch was a "noble jew" and that if more jews were like him, there would be no "jewish question". dr, bloch received a visit from the gestopo and was told the news of his "special status". the germans took all the post cards and the paintings hitler had gifted the doctor over the years, for which he was given a reciept. the doctor and his daughter decided that life was too dnagerous for them, and decided to flee austria. doctor bloch travelled to vienna where he contacted hitler's sister klara. klara was slightly eccentric and according to the neighbors which spoke to him, she NEVER answered her doorbell, only later would she come out and ask her neighbors who had rung her. dr, bloch left a message with the neighbor in klara's apartment building. dr. bloch returned and was told that klara definately remembered him, and she would ask her brother to help him. i don't know if hitler helped bloch escape, but whatever the circumstances, bloch and his daughter escaped to america. otto gutmann, the jewish officer who recommended hitler for the iron cross, escaped to america. hitler personally intervened to make sure gutmann recived his army pension until the end of ww2 in 1945! hitler had bad mouthed gutmann, but there must have been some sense of comradeship left over from the first world war. (who knows what hitler's motivations were). there is a thread on the forum that deals with this (gutmann) including photos, gutmann's war record, and his life in america, in which in one letter home he praised america's middle class culture. sorry, correction, hitler's sister was named paula!!!!!
Last edited by Balrog on 29 Jul 2003, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Gott

Post by Gott » 28 Jul 2003, 10:33

joel pacheco wrote:dr. bloch recived special treatment from hitler. dr, bloch wrote a book(published by harper collins press) that came out in 1941, in the united states, before the usa was involved in the fighting. dr. bloch had recived permission not to have to wear the "yellow star" on his clothes. and have a "yellow star" attached to the door of his business in austria. dr, bloch writes that after the anschlus hitler paid a visit to his hometown. as hitler was walked(or perhaps driven in an open car, i don't remember) hitler stopped and looked up and the 2nd floor window which was dr. blochs office. dr. bloch was inside, and because of how the sun reflected off the glass and the angle that bloch stood, he is sure hitler did not spot him. for a moment hitler stood still, staring at the office window of the doctor, who had tried to save his mother's life, hitler, apparently deep in reflection, stared silently, then oreder his driven to move on. later that night hitler was at an austrian nazi party function, and hitler told local members that dr. bloch was a "noble jew" and that if more jews were like him, there would be no "jewish question". dr, bloch received a visit from the gestopo and was told the news of his "special status". the germans took all the post cards and the paintings hitler had gifted the doctor over the years, for which he was given a reciept. the doctor and his daughter decided that life was too dnagerous for them, and decided to flee austria. doctor bloch travelled to vienna where he contacted hitler's sister klara. klara was slightly eccentric and according to the neighbors which spoke to him, she NEVER answered her doorbell, only later would she come out and ask her neighbors who had rung her. dr, bloch left a message with the neighbor in klara's apartment building. dr. bloch returned and was told that klara definately remembered him, and she would ask her brother to help him. i don't know if hitler helped bloch escape, but whatever the circumstances, bloch and his daughter escaped to america. otto gutmann, the jewish officer who recommended hitler for the iron cross, escaped to america. hitler personally intervened to make sure gutmann recived his army pension until the end of ww2 in 1945! hitler had bad mouthed gutmann, but there must have been some sense of comradeship left over from the first world war. (who knows what hitler's motivations were). there is a thread on the forum that deals with this (gutmann) including photos, gutmann's war record, and his life in america, in which in one letter home he praised america's middle class culture.
Interesting info on Dr. Bloch. Thanks Joel.

I'm still researching on the fate of Josef Neumann.

mottii

dr. block

Post by mottii » 28 Jul 2003, 11:56

The dr. came to the u.s. before the war. There is much info on the search
engine google. Very interesting.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 28 Jul 2003, 17:19

the officer's name was hugo gutman, not otto. yes, he travelled to the u.s.a. before ww2, but his book was published in 1941. i have read parts of it online, and he says nothing degrogatory about hitler that i have read, he seems to go out of his way to dispel rumors about hitler. when doctor bloch went to see klara, i believe he was trying to get a special pass to leave austria AND take out his money. jews were permitted to leave before the war, but left with almost nothing but the clothes on thier backs and a tiny amount of money. i am n ot sure of neumann, there were 3 jews i've read about who he interaction with hitler before ww1. think at least one must have survived ww2 because i read remarks attribued to at least one of hitler's pre ww1 art dealers.

White Leopard

Post by White Leopard » 28 Jul 2003, 19:55

In the 1970's an author by the name of Edward Binion published a book entitled Hitler Among the Germans. In this book Binion attempted to pscho-anyalize Hitler and find the reasons for his actions.
His conclusion was that Hitler harbored an incestuous relationship to his mother and that his hatred of Jews was triggered by the experience of being gassed in World War One.

Binion speculated that the gas attack uncovered buried memories of his mother sufferings from the treatment with caustic idoform that Dr. Bloch had prescribed and that it revived long-hidden resentments, jeolousies, and complexes directed at Dr. Bloch and expanded to include all Jews. I think that most of us can see the shortcomings of such an approach. It is far too limiting and neat, as are the other theories crediting Hitler's mental problems to one reason such as having one testicule, etc. It didn't consider or account for Hitler's generous and unexpected treatment of Bloch.

Dr. Bloch's descendants were not pleased with his conclusions. They interpeted them as holding Dr. Bloch directly responsible for causing the Holocost. They were especially outraged at Binion listing Bloch's charges for the treatment and his branding of them as excessive and stating that the difficulty Hitler had in paying these charges as a contributing cause of his supposed resentment of Bloch. They challenged and harrassed Binion in the press and brought a lawsuit against him. Their reaction was entirely understandable.

The book is still available on Amazon.com. I suggest that it be handled with a stout pair of tongs and a ton of salt.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 28 Jul 2003, 23:52

well, the part about hitler having only one testicle is not true. there are still records of hitler's medical examinations, and they refute that theory. i am also very skeptical of all the "mumbo jumbo" of looking into some one else's mind. especially someone who has been dead for decades. i read one book that also stated that the medical bill given to the hitler family was not unreasonable at all. apparently doctor bloch editied the treatment charts for his book because the idioform treatment given to klara hitler was considered quack medicine after ww1. (but bloch was just following the accepted medical procedures of the day). i think too many people want "neat" answers for all that swirls around hitler. there are no simple answers for what happended with him. life isn't always that simple.

Gott

Post by Gott » 29 Jul 2003, 19:25

I once again thank you for the help, and unfortunately I still couldn't find information on Josef Neumann...

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”