Göring and Drugs

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Zapfenstreich

Göring and Drugs

Post by Zapfenstreich » 28 Jul 2003, 20:18

Marcus shut down a similar thread so let's keep this one serious.

From what I have read, Göring's use of morpine was not recreational. He was prescribed morphine because he was actually in pain from wounds he had received in the Putsch. I can't remember where I read it but I seem to remember that the dosage was actually very light. When he was imprisoned by the allies he was taken off it completely and, as far as I know, he suffered no withdrawal symptoms. If there were no withdrawal symptoms he could not have been severely addicted.

I don't believe Hitler's use of amphetamines was recreational either. He used them to help himself keep going past a state of exhaustion.

I might be wrong and if so, I'm sure I will be corrected and rightly so.

One last point. The Nazis, in reality, were depraved enough. There's no need to invent more flaws for them. My reason for saying this? If a novice in studies of the 3rd Reich suddenly finds out that many of the things he has heard about the 3rd Reich hierarchy are lies, then he might begin to disbelieve the things that really happened.

History must be based on truth, no matter how unpleasant and all of us here have an obligation to preserve the true facts.

I will now descend from my soap box.:lol:

Z

Durand

Post by Durand » 28 Jul 2003, 21:36

Hallo,

For some additional information on Göring's addiction:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... 357#189357

Regards,

Durand

G-man

Post by G-man » 28 Jul 2003, 22:25

Goring dependance on drugs was also partly responsible for his balloning waistline.

However, Drugs weren't the only thing Hermann was addicated to!

He loved the "Good life".
He had the biggest Wardrobe out of all the Nazi's - How many different uniforms did he have?

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 28 Jul 2003, 23:37

Aparently he would change his uniform 4 times a day. He also loved hunting.

G-man

Post by G-man » 28 Jul 2003, 23:50

It has been stated that Goring took drugs to supress pain from a wound recieved during the 1923 "putsch".

What about Rudolph Hess?
Didnt he recieve a bullet in/through his lung in WW1?
Did he require drugs?

Goring is an intresting character - did his drugs make him aggressive, clumsy or did they effect his command abilities in anyway.
Did the drug taking upset his wife or was she oblivious to it?

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 29 Jul 2003, 07:50

G-man wrote: Goring is an intresting character - did his drugs make him aggressive, clumsy or did they effect his command abilities in anyway.
Did the drug taking upset his wife or was she oblivious to it?
in the memoirs of Albert Speer, he claims that his condition deteriorated throughout the war with his decision making processes, and he didn't get his sharp-wit or command skills back until the Nuremburg trial with his surrender to the Allies, and subsequent inaccess to his drugs...

one thing of note, thinking back to the WWII era, alot of 'illegal drugs' were infact common and weren't illegal at all in those times. my grandfather, the most mild, health conscious & unlikely person to think of in terms of drugs, says in couldn't get enough of coca-cola in his day; back when it's ingredient was actual "coke", in which case one could say he was a cocaine fiend :P who knows what drugs Allied leaders may have had addictions to as well. for example Roosevelt being confined to a wheelchair might have had some doctor pushing any number of conceivable drugs at him.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 29 Jul 2003, 07:54

It's strange that he was so large if he was a junky. I've seen plenty on the streets and elsewhere and they are always skeletal. I have seen people who were on morphine in the hospital for example, and it dows nothing to promote appetite.

LT

KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer » 06 Aug 2003, 07:05

Nagelfar wrote: for example Roosevelt being confined to a wheelchair might have had some doctor pushing any number of conceivable drugs at him.
interesting observation. you are obviosly illuminated

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 06 Aug 2003, 10:24

Görings addiction to Morphine was due to wounds recieved, however it was extremely controlled. He actually cured himself of it too. Göring was very powerfully willed, despite the cartoon image he is subjected to these days, but he was out of his depth in the position of charge he was in.

Tony

fdewaele

Post by fdewaele » 06 Aug 2003, 10:27

I thought Goering didn't become addicted to drugs because of the putch but because he was in an aircrash in the twenties?

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”