Warcrimes investigations

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Darren J. Whiteside

Warcrimes investigations

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 03 Aug 2003, 18:36

Hello,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find information about a particular German Luftwaffe General who was investigated for warcrimes but apparently wasn't charged. His name was Eduard Ritter von Schleich, and he died in captivity. I would like to know more about his ordeal and what may have caused his death. I have sources that tell me he was held by American forces, while others state he was held in a British POW camp for high ranking Luftwaffe officers. I think that the camp may have been located in Diessen/Amersee near Munich. Any and all help would be appreciated.

regards,

Darren

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 03 Aug 2003, 19:30

Darren -- Here's what I have on him:

von Schleich, Eduard Ritter (1888-1947) [Generalleutnant] – WWI service; Führer Reserve OKL at the disposition of Luftgau-Kommando III [Pour le Mérite] {taken prisoner by allied troops; died in American captivity 15 Nov 1947 at Diessem / Ammerssee (ABR-Croisier-L; ABR-L).}

I have no record of any war crime allegations against him and don't know about his "ordeal," if any. I'm going to move this thread to the ABR section of the forum, to see if any of the learned posters there have any additional information.

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 06 Aug 2003, 07:45

Do you know which nation(s) investigated him for war crimes?

Svennie

Post by Svennie » 06 Aug 2003, 20:01

His wartime career:
1938-39 Kommandeur JG 132 bzw. 26 "Schlageter"
1939-40 Kommandeur Jagdfliegerschule 5, Wien-Schwechat
1940-41 Ausbildungsleiter bei der Deutschen Luftwaffenmission in Rumänien
1941-44 General der Luftwaffe in Danemark
1944-44 Kommandierender General und Befehlshaber im Luftgau-Kommando Norwegen
1944-1945 Führerreserve, z.V. Luftgau Kommando III

Seems hardly spectaculair....but my guess is that he could have committed war crimes against the Scandinivian peoples. So maybe you can try these countries national archives?

Sven

Darren J. Whiteside

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 11 Aug 2003, 03:13

Hi Penn44,
I do not know who performed the investigations, and there are conflicting reports on whether it was American or British forces who held him as a POW. I believe that he was investigated due to his high rank in the German Luftwaffe.

Svennie,
It does make since that because he commanded in the Scandinavian countries of Norway and Denmark, that this could have been the focus of most or part of the investigation. I would like to try contacting these countries, but I do not know where to begin. Can you help?

regards,

Darren

Svennie

Post by Svennie » 15 Aug 2003, 19:37

Darren,

I really do not have a clue as to their national archives. Just try to find them in google or contact their interior ministries. I'm sure those have a website.

Good hunting
Sven

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”