A second general von Schlieben

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
isseiev

A second general von Schlieben

Post by isseiev » 04 Aug 2003, 21:31

Greetings from Montreal!

In midsummer 1944, there were many important troop movements in the Nederlands, as OKW was reacting to events in France and rearranging its deployment in the corridor between Westwall and the Siegfried Line.
In this context, LXXXVIII ArmeeKorps under Gen. der Inf. Hans-Wolfgang Reinhard was beefed up and suddenly highly present in Noord-Brabant.
In early August, a staff officer requisitionned the Berkel-Enschot (now Oisterwijk) houses of Cor Vanderheyden and of the neighbouring Berkelmans family among others, on behalf of a general officer. At the same time 88ste Korps brass were requisitionning villas, schools and monasteries in Moergestel, 4km to the south for the use of Gen der Inf. Reinhard's HQ and troops.
For years later, the mysterious but well behaved officer was only remembered as "general Schliemann" by the children who lived in the beautiful Oisterwijk house.
But later, someone suggested the exact name could have been Schlieben.
Through research, I quickly established the existence of two general officers by the name of von Schlieben, one being the Commander of the Calais Fortress, Generalleutnant Karl-Wilhelm von Schlieben and the other, an obscure brigadier general of the Pioneers, GenMaj Dietrich von Schlieben who, after a stint of "special employment" with Army Groups South and North suddenly appeared in the Nederlands for assignment in the month of August 1944.

Here is his CV

Dietrich von Schlieben
Born 2.3.1893 at Dresden
Died
First Joined 8.2.1913
Became Lt Sachs.Garde Reit.Rgt. 24.2.14
Prewar Service Pi.Bn.42 1.10.35 Fuhr Pi.Bn.86 Spring 39
Promotions
Obstlt 1.10.36
Oberst 1.6.39
Gen.Maj. 1.1.43

Command

Pi.Bn.86 1.9.39
Pi.Fuhr.6.Army Oct.39-Anf.42
Kdr.Annahme-St.f.Offz.Bewerb.V 1.7.42.-end of 43
Gen.z.b.V.A.Gr.South Mar.-May 44
Gen.z.b.V.A.Gr.North May-Aug 44
** **Kdt.Befestig.Brabant Aug.Dec.44** **
Hoh.Pi.Kdr. Jan-May 45

Could someone help me clarify the rather cryptic "Kdt.Befestig.Brabant Aug.Dec.44" entry? Of course, it couldn't mean Belgium's Brabant province.
What was Dietrich von Schlieben's job??
A picture of the Vanderheyden home is available.

Many thanks for reading this.
Last edited by isseiev on 07 Aug 2003, 22:04, edited 3 times in total.

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 04 Aug 2003, 21:59

Hi! I would suggest that might mean Commandant of Fortifications in Brabandt. In this context, I would think he was overseeing the construction and maintenance of defensive positions in this area. This is, of course, just my own thought!

Of interest, here are Generalmajor Dietrich von Schlieben’s decorations from World War I:

• Prussian Iron Cross, 1st Class (1914)
• Prussian Iron Cross, 2nd Class (1914)
• Saxon Military St. Henry Order, Knight’s Cross
• Saxon Albert Order, Knight 2nd Class with Swords

As a recipient of the Knight’s Cross of the Military St. Henry Order, the Kingdom of Saxony’s highest decoration for officers in wartime, there might be more available on Dietrich von Schlieben through that angle.

Interestingly, in the 1 May 1930 Rangliste des Deutschen Reichsheeres, source for the decorations, both Karl-Wilhelm and Dietrich were serving with the rank of Rittmeister in the 12th (Saxon) Reiter-Regiment. I’ve often wondered if they were related, possibly cousins.

Regards,
Shawn

isseiev

ID Still based on largely circumstantial evidence...

Post by isseiev » 04 Aug 2003, 22:18

Thanks Shawn for coming back so quickly!
The info certainly adds depth to the character. At this stage, I can only explain that no General "Schliemann" having been found, it was assumed he could be a high ranking officer by a similar name.
Of course, (von) Schlieben immediately qualified. Except that Generalleutnant Karl von Schlieben never served in the area and was captured by the Allies in Cherbourg well before the mystery guest left the Oisterwijk mansion. And the "coincidence" of a Dietrich von Schlieben appearing in the area in August 1944 is tantalizing.
The plot thicken.
Pierre

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”