field marshall promotions

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
brau meister

field marshall promotions

Post by brau meister » 25 Aug 2003, 18:26

In Beevor's book on Stalingrad he mentions that Paulus was promoted to field marshall along with 4 other generals. Apparently, this was the most promotions at that level ever to be made at one time.

Who were the other generals?

fdewaele

Post by fdewaele » 25 Aug 2003, 20:52

I thought Paulus was a stand alone promotion... it was given to him by Hitler to entice him to commit suicide.

brau meister

Post by brau meister » 25 Aug 2003, 21:10

Yes, that was the general point. He was also awarded the oak leaves to his knights cross shortly before capitulation. He was in a depressed state however and didn't seem mentally up to that, or many other, tasks.

Beevor also notes how many Ger generals exhorted their men to fight to the second to last cartridge before killing themselves but when their own time came, they surrendered. The meddling of Hitler and his stooges comes into play in a serious manner at this point in the war. The book is quite good though I've seen on this forum that not everyone appreciates Beevors research or conclusions.

Regardless, the book mentions that either 4 others or 4 total generals were promoted to field marshall on that occasion. I don't know how to find out who else was involved but am interested to know. Anyone have that info?

fdewaele

Post by fdewaele » 25 Aug 2003, 21:19

Weichs, Busch & Kleist on February 1st whereas Paulus was promoted on 31.01.43
Richthofen perhaps as well? I know he was promoted in 1943 but I don't know exactly when.

brau meister

Post by brau meister » 25 Aug 2003, 21:54

that must be them. Thanks very much.

I doubt Richtofen would have gotten it at that time. In the latter parts of the battle, he was actively disobeying orders to preserve what was left of the LW fleet of transport aircraft and prevent needless (further) destruction.

Glenn A. Steinberg

Post by Glenn A. Steinberg » 25 Aug 2003, 22:11

brau meister wrote:that must be them. Thanks very much.

I doubt Richtofen would have gotten it at that time. In the latter parts of the battle, he was actively disobeying orders to preserve what was left of the LW fleet of transport aircraft and prevent needless (further) destruction.
From what I remember, Richthofen was promoted at the end of February 1943.

brau meister

Post by brau meister » 25 Aug 2003, 22:27

That's what is so interesting about this topic. Hitler could be fuming in anger at someone one minute, awarding him the next. From what I knew about Richtofen' status with Hitler and the top brass at the end of the Stalingrad disaster, you'd never think he'd get a promotion later that month. He did a great job but made some decisions that were against the general way of thinking at the top. Goes to show you can never make assumptions about crazy ole hitler.

i stand corrected and at the same time more interested in the topic.

thanks again for the info.

Ken McCanliss

Most GFM promotions in a single day

Post by Ken McCanliss » 26 Aug 2003, 07:57

The most promotions to Field Marshal in a single day came on 19 July 1940, after the fall of France, when Hitler created 12 - nine Heer and three Luftwaffe.

genstab

Richthofen's Promotion to Field Marshal

Post by genstab » 26 Aug 2003, 18:30

Richthofen was promoted on 16 February 1943.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”