Did Rommel and Sepp Dietrich get along?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Beppo Schmidt

Did Rommel and Sepp Dietrich get along?

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 09 Oct 2003, 03:26

I've seen in some places that Rommel ordered Dietrich out of Milan because his troops were committing acts he considered dishonorable, and others that say they respected and liked each other. Can someone clear it up?

John W

Post by John W » 09 Oct 2003, 06:47

I haven't read Rommel say anything about anybody in the SS except Himmler. This is news to me!

John

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 09 Oct 2003, 18:07

I belive that Rommel/Dietrich relations in Italy were business-like.Rommel writed to his diary 3rd August 43 "...Dietrich was fully prepared to play hell with the Italians and make them dance to his tune".

They got to know themselves better in Normandy.Apparently Rommel liked Dietrich but had little faith to his tactical skills.In post-war Canadian interrogation Dietrich said that Rommel was no proper soldier because he had not fought in Russia.He said" What did he know of war?....All he could do was stand on a tank,baton in hand and shout ´´I am the king of Africa´´"

Later Dietrich's view of Rommel became more favorable.

Source:Messenger-Sepp Dietrich.Hitler's Gladiator.

Cheers/Juha

Blindgänger

Post by Blindgänger » 09 Oct 2003, 18:30

I found a webpage that contains the following reference to both men, taken from Corelli Barnett's (ed) "Hitler's Generals" -

"During the day of July 17, 1944, only hours before being seriously wounded by an RAF fighter attack on his motorcade, Field Marshal Erwin Rommel is busy touring the Western Front in Normandy and meeting with his subordinate front-line commanders. On that occasion he visits Dietrich. When their meeting ends, Rommel asks him one last question: Would the SS commander be prepared to follow orders given by Rommel even if it contradicts those of the Fuehrer. Dietrich is said to have answered: "You, Field Marshal, are my commander-in-chief, and I shall obey only you, whatever the order!" (Kurowski, 418). A confident Rommel returns to his headquarters confiding to his adjutant, Lang, "Dietrich is now on our side." (ibid). But Dietrich is outraged when he hears the news of the July 20th assassination attempt calling it "a cowardly act by the plotters" which had thrown the German military "into a mess." (ibid.). "

http://www.joric.com/Conspiracy/Dietrich.htm

John W

Post by John W » 10 Oct 2003, 03:36

Blindgänger wrote:But Dietrich is outraged when he hears the news of the July 20th assassination attempt calling it "a cowardly act by the plotters" which had thrown the German military "into a mess." (ibid.). "
Which probably made him comment about Rommel not being a proper soldier. Probably.

Any more references people? Nice to hear these :)

John

Blindgänger

Post by Blindgänger » 10 Oct 2003, 11:54

Which probably made him comment about Rommel not being a proper soldier. Probably.
The author of the following description of Dietrich does not provide any sources, so I cannot tell if they're accurate, but if the description below is to be believed, Dietrich was also not considered to be the best choice for the military position he held during the war by some of his colleagues -

"Dietrich had little intellect or understanding of strategy and was uncomfortable in senior command positions. Wilhelm Bittrich-commander of II SS Panzer Korps, once described how he was trying to explain a situation with the aid of a map and had to give up as Dietrich could not understand. Many Army commanders despised him, dissmissing him as a crude beer-hall thug. Field Marshall von Rudenstedt, after the war described him as "decent but stupid". It has been said that Dietrich only achieved his high ranking because of his loyalty to Hitler during the early years of the Nazi-Party. Yet he did possess personal charisma, and his bravery, earthy humor, and loyalty to his men which certainly inspired them. Testimoney to this is the fact that 6,000 ex-Waffen SS members turned out for his funeral in 1966. "

From : http://www.forces70.freeserve.co.uk/Waf ... ch%20s.htm

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”