Unknown Luftwaffe Officer

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Harri

Unknown Luftwaffe Officer

Post by Harri » 29 Jan 2004, 21:33

This is an interesting war time colour photo (see the link, too bad it is in rather small size) taken in the summer 1942. The unit is German Einsatzstab Fähre Ost (EFO), a Lufwaffe unit which operated on Lake Ladoga, Finland together with Italian MTBs (12. Squadriglia MAS) and German mine layer boats (C-Gruppe / 31. Minensuch-Flottilla) during summer 1942.

Photo: http://heninen.net/laatokka-war/p7.jpg

The officers in the photo are (from left):
German Oberstleutnant F. Siebel (Commander of EFO)
Finnish Colonel E. Järvinen (Commander of Lake Ladoga Coastal Brigade)
German Generaloberst Alfred Keller (Commander of Luftflotte 1)

The question is: who is the LW officer (perhaps a pilot) on the right? I admit the photo is rather unclear but could he from "Kommando Philipp" (1./JG 54). Its Staffelkapitän was Oberleutnant Götz. Or could he be Hautpmann Philipp himself? Any ideas?

----------

The photo link is from page:
http://heninen.net/laatokka-war/english.htm
if someone is interested.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 30 Jan 2004, 10:40

Hmm,pic is indeed quite unclear but i think the colour of his collar patches is red,rather than yellow of flying personel.If its red,or scarlet to be more accurate,he belongs to AA artillery.

My 2 cents

Cheers/Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 30 Jan 2004, 19:08

I have seen this same photo in some Finnish book but I don't remember in which. As far as I remember the name of the rightmost officer was not mentioned in this book. Perhaps it was in some of the books with colour photos, for example "Sodan värit" [Colours of War]?
Juha Hujanen wrote:i think the colour of his collar patches is red,rather than yellow of flying personel.If its red,or scarlet to be more accurate,he belongs to AA artillery
Good point indeed, Juha. I didn't even think about that. The colours are not very clear and may be twisted in this scanned photo. I think he don't either wear Pilot's Badge. Then I think he must be the Chief of the Fähre-Flottille or some of the Stab officers of Luftflotte 1 or EFO?

EFO was an anti-aircraft unit, so there is no problem with that. Its strength was over 2300 men. It was a rather large formation and many people (including my father) have told that there were lots of Germans in that area during the war (he lived at Parikkala in 1942).

ttvon

Re: Unknown Luftwaffe Officer

Post by ttvon » 10 Dec 2011, 15:48

Hi,
Could you tell me F. Siebel’s and E. Järvinen’s full names?
I can not find any their information on the internet.

Best

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 10 Dec 2011, 16:49

Hi Harri, are you sure it's Alfred Keller? He doesn't look like him to me...

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 11 Dec 2011, 02:47

Hi, AlifRafikKhan
We have the same Opinion.
Even I do not think it is a general.

Best

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 10 May 2014, 10:46

Hi,
I find that the Commander of EFO is Friedrich-Wilhelm Siebel.
Could anyone post his more information or his pics?

ttvon

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 10 May 2014, 13:46

The Finnish officer's full name is Eino Iisakki Järvinen (1896-1955). He was promoted to kenraalimajuri (major-general) in 1943 and kenraaliluutnantti (lieutenant-general) 1951.

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 23 Nov 2014, 10:06

SIEBEL, Friedrich-Wilhelm. (W.B.K. Berlin IX). 19.06.42 Obstlt.(d.R./Flak), in RLM (GL), appt acting Kdr. Einsatzstab Fähre Ost. 01.09.43 promo to Oberst (d.R./Fl.). Siebel was to be appt Kdr. of Sonderkdo. Fähre on 01.09.43 was the appt was cancelled and a Maj. (d.R.) Justus Koch was appt in his place.
Attachments
Copy of This is an interesting war time colour photo which taken in the summer of 1942.jpg
Id: Major Friedrich Franz von Nordenskjöld, Luftwaffe Military
Attaché in Finland
Copy of This is an interesting war time colour photo which taken in the summer of 1942.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 1660 times

reinaart

Post by reinaart » 25 Dec 2015, 19:12

The Luftwaffe officer on the extreme left in the colour pic is most definitely not Friedrich Wilhelm Siebel. Herr Siebel would probably turn in his grave .... 8O . According to the captions in the Finnish archive the officer is in fact Major Friedrich Franz von Nordenskjöld, Luftwaffe Military Attaché in Finland. Siebel had a rather thickset face whereas Nordenskjöld had a very lean one. Von Nordenskjöld was also a rather small man. Some pics to prove my point (source Finnish archive).

Friedrich Wilhelm Siebel is the man on the left

Siebel on the right (Wachtel, the man in the middle), the Kriegsmarine officer
is Helmut Leissner

I indicated Siebel with an "S"and Nordenskjöld with an "N" to avoid any confusion

Arjan

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 26 Dec 2015, 02:31

Hi,
We can find the officer which is left 3 in the colour pic is also in the B\W pic which is standing beside Alfred Keller.
So I am sure the officer(left 3 in the colour pic) is wrong ID as Alfred Keller.
So who is the officer which is left 3 in the colour pic?

ttvon
Attachments
104716_zpshgr9pvyt.jpg

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 26 Dec 2015, 08:21

ttvon wrote:Hi,
I also have a question.
Who is the Kriegsmarine officer in the second b\w pic?
Thanks.

ttvon
Hi,
I have ID them!
The officer which is left 3 in the colour is Max Wachtel.
The Kriegsmarine officer is Helmut Leissner.

ttvon

reinaart

Post by reinaart » 26 Dec 2015, 11:25

To return to Harri's original question, I think the officer on the extreme right in the colour pic is Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Schoultz von Ascheraden, at least I haven't found any other "Schoultz" (mentioned in various photo captions). He seems to be sucking a tooth in the following two pics :

Arjan

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 26 Dec 2015, 12:29

reinaart wrote:To return to Harri's original question, I think the officer on the extreme right in the colour pic is Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Schoultz von Ascheraden, at least I haven't found any other "Schoultz" (mentioned in various photo captions). He seems to be sucking a tooth in the two pics.
Arjan
Hi,
The Left 3 officer in the colour pic wrong ID as Keller is Max Wachtel actually.

If the Right 1 officer in the colour pic is Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Schoultz von Ascheraden, but why is the colour of collar badge pink?

ttvon

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 26 Dec 2015, 13:04

ttvon wrote: If the Right 1 officer in the colour pic is Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Schoultz von Ascheraden, but why is the colour of collar badge pink?
ttvon
This is
SCHOULTZ von ASCHERADEN, Wilhelm, Freiherr. (DOB: 15.08.15). 01.10.40 promo to Oblt.
03.43 in Nahaufkl.St. 3./Aufkl.Gr. 13. 01.08.43 in 2./NAGr. 4, promo to Hptm
Why should he have pink collar patches - he must wear yellow patches!
So the identity of the officer in question is not secured :milwink: :(

Dieter Z.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”