Kaiser Willhelm II

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Miha Grcar

Kaiser Willhelm II

Post by Miha Grcar » 09 Jan 2005, 17:22

When WWI ended in 1918 the Kaiser had to abdicate. He then moved to Belgium and lived there until his death in 1941. I would like to ask if he was ever confronted with the Nazis after the occupation of the Low countries? Was he ignored as an average individual? I hope I stated my question clearly and that you get the idea what I'm asking...(I hope I posted this in the right place).

best,
Nibelung

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 09 Jan 2005, 18:38

Hello! Wilhelm II sought exile in the Netherlands where he lived briefly in Amerongen. In June 1920, he purchased a large house with 60 acres in Doorn where he lived quietly for the rest of his life. After the invasion of the Netherlands in 1940, the German Army provided a small honor guard at the entrance of his estate, but otherwise he was treated more or less as a private citizen and left alone.

Best regards,
Shawn

P.S. The source cited below indicates the British government offered him asylum in 1940, but he refused.

SOURCE: Wilson, Lawrence. The Imperial Kaiser: The Life of William II. Dorset Press, New York, New York, 1991 printing of original 1963 edition titled The Incredible Kaiser.

Miha Grcar

Post by Miha Grcar » 09 Jan 2005, 18:50

I thank you very much sir!! This has been bothering me for a long time, but I just couldn't find anything about the occupation times. Thanks again!!

best regards,
Nibelung

beauregard61

Post by beauregard61 » 09 Jan 2005, 19:45

He did very few political acts after 1918.
After the fall of France he send a telegram with congratulations to Hitler which is in my opinion not very polite
considering the german invasion of the Netherlands.
A famous story goes that he didn't want to have any swastikas on his funeral. Nevertheless there were some on the uniforms of german officers...

Miha Grcar

Post by Miha Grcar » 09 Jan 2005, 22:48

I thank you too beauregard61!

best,
Nibelung

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 10 Jan 2005, 04:21

The Kaiser seems to me a snooty rich spoiled war-mongering brat who would cry if he ever got muddy. I am sure he thought Hitler was really just another "peasant" and he would never be in the company of such scum/commoners. And it was just as likely he was scared to death of "Corporal" Hitler, who EARNED a few real "medals" opposed to the 100's of "fakes" Willie wore, as the epitome of the "common" German psyche. Then again Willie was really only a "wannabe" German, I think he was much more English, than German, and his German Warlord act/look was a comical farce.

The book "Dreadnought" by Massie, gives some very vivid and lucid accounts/descriptions of the entire English Royal family from 1800- 1914 , Willie included. I guess since he was 'family",
the "Hang the Kaiser!!!" bit was not done. Too bad , since it was his hubris and inferiority complex that were the two most important factors as to WWI occuring. I doubt he lost any sleep over the millions of Germans who died, only that HE lost.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 10 Jan 2005, 05:36

Nibelung,

Heres some interesting information regarding Wilhelm and Hitler. Indeed it did appear that he had some contact with Nazi Germany.
The Kaiser fled to The Netherlands on 10 November 1918. He purchased an estate at Doorn where he maintained a tiny household. Following the death of the Kaiserine in 1921, he married a widow, Princess v. Schoenaich (Hermine of Reuss) a year later. The same year he published his memoirs, absolving himself of any war guilt. Over the next two decades, he received visitors and kept abreast of events in Europe. After a brief interest in the Nazis, spurred by Hitler's manipulation of the restoration issue, the imperial couple turned against the brown shirts. Death came in 1941, and he was buried on the grounds of his estate.
source: http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/bio/w/willyii.html

another interesting article:
By 1925 the economic situation in Germany had improved after seven years of upheaval. The market crash of 1929 once again brought widespread unemployment. In 1930 Chancellor Bruning proposed restoring the monarchy with one of the Kaiser's grandsons (Wilhelm or Louis Ferdinand). President Hindenberg said he would accept only Wilhelm II. The Kaiser could have broken this impasse if he would have declared for one of his grandsons, but he refused.

The crown prince had returned to Germany in 1923 and knew many of the top Nazis. Hitler told him that he wanted to restore the monarchy. With the Kaiser's permission, two of his other sons, Prince August Wilhelm and Prince Oskar, joined the Nazi party. Hitler did not live up to his promise about restoring the monarchy. In 1933 Herman Goring, who at that time was the new Prussian minister-president, told the Kaiser that he could no longer draw income from his German estates but that he and his sons would be paid an allowance from the German government. The Kaiser was warned that if any of them spoke out against the Nazis the allowance would end. In January 1934 the Nazis broke up a celebration honoring Wilhelm II's 75th birthday.

After this the Kaiser's feeling toward Hitler began to decline. In 1940 after the German army invaded Holland. Churchill sent an RAF plane to take the Kaiser to the safety of England. The Kaiser declined the offer, stating that he had been accused of running away in 1918 and whatever happened he would stay in Holland. The German army soon swept over Holland and it was ordered not to fraternize with the Kaiser. This order was largely ignored and many officers sneaked into talk with the old "War Lord."

On 26 May 1940 the Kaiser's grandson (Prince Louis Ferdinand's brother) died from wounds suffered in France. His funeral in Potsdam attracted a crowd of 50,000. This outpouring of support for the monarchy enraged Hitler who issued orders that all members of the Hohenzollern family were to be dismissed from the military services. Prince Louis Ferdinand, who had been serving in the Luftwaffe as a flight instructor, was discharged at this time.

The Hohenzollern family members were afraid of reprisals and the Kaiser's court chamberlain, General Von Dommes, suggested that the Kaiser make some gesture in support of Hitler. On 15 June 1940 the Kaiser sent a telegram to Hitler congratulating him for capturing Paris. This telegram was widely published and upset monarchists who were conspiring against Hitler. The telegram was the Kaiser's last official act. He died on 5 June 1941 and was buried at Doorn House. Thus the last of the imperial leaders of the Great War was gone.
source: http://www.worldwar1.com/tgws/rel008.htm (bold was added by me and not the author)

W.

Miha Grcar

Post by Miha Grcar » 10 Jan 2005, 17:06

Christopher, Waldorf I thank you both for your replies! This just get's better and better. :)

best regards,
Nibelung

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 10 Jan 2005, 22:52

ChristopherPerrien wrote:. Then again Willie was really only a "wannabe" German, I think he was much more English, than German, and his German Warlord act/look was a comical farce.
He had very little 'English' in him.
What little he had came from his mother who was Anglo-German.
His mother 'Vicky' had a German father(Albert) and a British mother(Victoria) and even the mother was of German decent.

Lets not forget the family name of the British (not English) Royal family at this time was Saxe-Coburg-
Gotha. 8O

zerrakk

So what has become of the royal family?

Post by zerrakk » 11 Jan 2005, 03:40

If Germany were to restore the royal family, who is in line to inherit the throne? What has become of the bloodline?

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 11 Jan 2005, 15:57

After Kaiser Wilhelm II, the heir to the throne would have been Crown Prince Wilhelm. His eldest son and heir, also called Wilhelm, was killed in France in 1940. In any event, young Wilhelm had renounced all claim to the throne when he married a "commoner" in the 1930s.

The Crown Prince's second son, Louis Ferdinand, became Head of the House of Hohenzollern on the Crown Prince's death in 1951.

Louis Ferdinand's eldest son (also called Louis Ferdinand) died in 1977, but his young son, Georg Friedrich, was ultimately declared the heir. On the elder Louis Ferdinand's death at age 86 in 1994, I believe there was some dispute among his other children. I believe one of his surviving sons sought claim the position as Head of the Family in place of nephew Georg Friedrich, but the latter ultimately emerged as the rightful holder of that title.

See also: http://www.eurohistory.com/hohenzollernheir.html

and: http://www.preussen.de/de/familie/prinz ... drich.html

Kaiser Wilhelm II's Great, Great Grandson, Prince Georg Friedrich von Pruessen:

Major Major

Post by Major Major » 13 Jan 2005, 03:47

Louis Ferdinand's eldest son (also called Louis Ferdinand) died in 1977, but his young son, Georg Friedrich, was ultimately declared the heir. On the elder Louis Ferdinand's death at age 86 in 1994, I believe there was some dispute among his other children. I believe one of his surviving sons sought claim the position as Head of the Family in place of nephew Georg Friedrich, but the latter ultimately emerged as the rightful holder of that title.

Actually, Louis Ferdinand the younger (1944-1977; died as a result of injuries sustained in an accident while in military reserve training) was the third son, but like their uncle, the two older brothers Friedrich Wilhelm and Michael renounced the succession to marry commoners. The lawsuit in question was filed by Friedrich Wilhelm, the oldest brother.

Major Major

Post by Major Major » 13 Jan 2005, 03:49

Major Major wrote:Louis Ferdinand's eldest son (also called Louis Ferdinand) died in 1977, but his young son, Georg Friedrich, was ultimately declared the heir. On the elder Louis Ferdinand's death at age 86 in 1994, I believe there was some dispute among his other children. I believe one of his surviving sons sought claim the position as Head of the Family in place of nephew Georg Friedrich, but the latter ultimately emerged as the rightful holder of that title.
To make it clear, this is quoted. I accidentally deleted the quote markers in cutting the text.

zerrakk

Excellent royalty site

Post by zerrakk » 13 Jan 2005, 06:03

Thanks much for the info. I found this site while searhing the web:http://www.btinternet.com/~allan_raymon ... Family.htm

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 13 Jan 2005, 15:12

Actually, Louis Ferdinand the younger (1944-1977; died as a result of injuries sustained in an accident while in military reserve training) was the third son, but like their uncle, the two older brothers Friedrich Wilhelm and Michael renounced the succession to marry commoners. The lawsuit in question was filed by Friedrich Wilhelm, the oldest brother.
Thank you, Major Major, for the clarification.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”