Did Hermann Göring have any English skills?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections.
Hosted by Dieter Zinke & Elwyn W.
T.R.Searle

Did Hermann Göring have any English skills?

Postby T.R.Searle » 01 Sep 2002 14:37

Did Hermann Göring have any English speaking skills,very fluent,a few words or nothing at all?

T.R.Searle :)

de-gouden-ridder

Postby de-gouden-ridder » 01 Sep 2002 15:11

That is a difficult question. :?

I think he spook some words, but it wouldn't be much I think. The only time he was talking to americans was ad the very end, so....

Richard Miller

Re: Did Hermann Göring have any English skills?

Postby Richard Miller » 02 Sep 2002 05:22

Von Manstein wrote:Did Hermann Göring have any English speaking skills,very fluent,a few words or nothing at all?

Hermann Göring spoke fluent english. This ability allowed him to gain an advantage at the Nuremberg Trials.
When cross examined by Jackson in english, Göring understood the questions and had the time to formulate his answers by the time the question was translated into german.

This ability to speak english also made him a favorite among the US guards, particularly Tex Wheelis, to whom he gave several gifts.

T.R.Searle

Postby T.R.Searle » 02 Sep 2002 17:47

Thanx all :mrgreen:

WAR LORD

sister

Postby WAR LORD » 05 Sep 2002 00:26

His sister lived in Pinner London.

Simon02

Göring and Tex Wheelis

Postby Simon02 » 06 Sep 2002 08:42

Hello Richard M. or all the others

I heard a red about the trial and I was kind of surprised since the guard Wheelis was able to have conversation about different things.
Whatever happend with the guard Tex Wheelis ? Did he ever give an interview or wrote a few lines about his impression of Hermann Göring and what happend with all those gifts he got ?
Does he also know how Goering was able to get to that poison-pill in order to escape the execution ?

simon :wink:

The Desert Fox

Göring - How did he learn english?

Postby The Desert Fox » 06 Sep 2002 09:20

How did Goering learn to speak english?

Was it a skill learn at school, or as a pilot in ww1?

I know Göring had a Swedish wife, so it would be interesting to actually know how many lanuages did he know? German, English, Swedish and ?

Regards
The Desert Fox

GLADIVM

Postby GLADIVM » 09 Sep 2002 07:24

Lt Tex Wheelis , died in the 50's ( I do not know the cause ) , was probably instrumental to procure poison to Göring as he had keys for the room in which Göring personal luggage was kept and poison was hidden . He passed it to another person , the german doctor or the P.O.W. barber who then passed it to the reichmarshall .

Wheelis widow was seen wearing a LARGE swiss watch which belonged to Göring and was also in possession of a LARGE fountain pen with the Reichmarschall name engraved in it . All items belonging to Göring were of very LARGE size and easily identifable .

Also all the Reichsmarschall medals were missing when his personal belongings were returned to wife Emmy , and is a safe assumption that some of them went to Wheelis but nothing has been heard or seen of the medals thereafter .

One of the reasons Wheelis become so friendly with Goring was that both were avid Huntsmen and Göring gave him a picture with an handwritten dedication " To the Great Huntsman from Texas " , their friendship was frowned upon by Colonel Anders and Wheelis was looked upon with some mistrust ( Göring nickmamed Anders " FIRE CHIEF " because of the shiny helmet he used to wear) .
It seems that on point of his death Anders stumbled out of his bed and cried " Göring his killing himself , I must stop him " .
Wheelis did not write any book or left any manuscprit about his work in Nuremberg , it is a pity he died so young , had he lived longer is possible that by now we would know the truth behind Göring suicide

The Desert Fox

Göring's Family

Postby The Desert Fox » 09 Sep 2002 14:04

Stupid question maybe but did Göring have any children?

I also saw earlier in this thread that he had a sister living in England. When was this, was it pre war or during the War? Why was she there?

regards
The Desert Fox

observer

Re: Göring's Family

Postby observer » 10 Sep 2002 16:48

The Desert Fox wrote:Stupid question maybe but did Göring have any children?

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Holocaust/goering.html wrote:In 1923 he took part in the Munich Beer-Hall putsch, in which he was seriously wounded and forced to flee from Germany for four years until a general amnesty was declared. He escaped to Austria, Italy and then Sweden, was admitted to a mental hospital and, in September 1925, to an asylum for dangerous inmates, becoming a morphine addict in the course of his extended recovery.

AFAIR he was wounded in the wrong spot (no joke) in 1923, so if he met and later married a swedish girl during asylum in Sweden in the mid-1920s he should not have been able to beget any children...

GLADIVM

Postby GLADIVM » 11 Sep 2002 07:42

Göing had a daughter , Edda , from his second marriage with a german actress . Göring himself thought that Edda birth was a miracle as he did not think to be able to sire a child.

Edda is still alive , she married a doctor and lives in München

The Desert Fox

Göring's Wives

Postby The Desert Fox » 11 Sep 2002 12:26

Under what circumstances did Göring meet his first Swedish Wife? Where when how?

So Göring remarried? What happened to his first Swedish wife? Did she die or where they divorced? If she divorced anyone know what happened to her afterwards?

regards
The Desert Fox

Daniel L

Postby Daniel L » 11 Sep 2002 16:29

Görings first wife Karin died, he named his hunting palace Karinhall after her. Karin was the daughter of Count Eric von Rosen. The von Rosen family lived in Sweden, at a castle named Rockelstad. The place is situated outside the samll town Sparreholm which is right between Eskilstuna and Nyköping.

Hermann and Karin first met in 1921 at Rockelstad. Count von Rosen was in Stockholm and wanted to go home for Christmas. Göring was then a mail pilot and was the only pilot who dared to fly the count home through the blizzard. They navigated by following the railroad track and then landed on the ice outside the castle.

My grand father, who worked for von Rosen, witnessed when Göring landed on the ice once. The castle is not far away from where I live and I've visited it, it's full of things that von Rosen brought back home from his voyages into South America and Africa ( which he crossed by foot, Cape town to Alexandria-it took him four years). Interestingly there's a sun cross as part of the painting of the roof but i think this was made earlier. Görings connections with Sweden is said to be one of the reasons that the germans didn't invade the country.

James

"Tex" Wheelis

Postby James » 12 Sep 2002 00:51

Wheelis died at age 41 in 1954 after suffering a heart attack. He never admitted any complicity in the Göring suicide.

The Desert Fox

Göring's Wife Karin

Postby The Desert Fox » 12 Sep 2002 13:14

Görings first wife Karin died, he named his hunting palace Karinhall after her. Karin was the daughter of Count Eric von Rosen.

What was the cause of death of his wife Karin? In what year did she die?

regards
The Desert Fox

Return to “Axis Biographical Research”