Did Hermann Göring have any English skills?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 12 Sep 2002, 14:31

I'm sure that he didn't speak any swedish since german was the second language tought in swedish schools. he probably spoke a little swedish since he had his morphine detoxication in sweden. I don't know what year she died but i think she died when she was having her baby (can anyone confirm this), I think she died before 1933.

Karl XII
Banned
Location: the land of ice and snow where the midnight sun glows

Post by Karl XII » 08 Nov 2002, 20:21

charlie don't surf wrote:I'm sure that he didn't speak any swedish since german was the second language tought in swedish schools. he probably spoke a little swedish since he had his morphine detoxication in sweden. I don't know what year she died but i think she died when she was having her baby (can anyone confirm this), I think she died before 1933.
Actuly he did speak Swedish. If you for example look in the book Soldaten som inte kunde dö by Knut Häll there is an episode where Häll meets Göring and they speak Swedish to eachother. And afterall, wouldn't he be a bad husband if he didn't learn his wife's native language?

Geli

Post by Geli » 12 Nov 2002, 07:12

charlie don't surf wrote:I think she died before 1933.
I recently read that she died in 1931, one month after Geli Raubal died. That would be October.

Skanderbeg

Göring & English

Post by Skanderbeg » 10 Dec 2002, 05:25

Captain Drexel Sprecher, still living, was a prosecutor at Nurnberg. I understand, via Sprecher, that Göring, as well as a number of other defendents, spoke english. I will try to find out if Drexel remembers who the others were.

Gareth Collins

Post by Gareth Collins » 10 Dec 2002, 21:12

Göring's understanding of English was minimal to say the least. Every sourse I've read on the RM states that he had to have an interpretor present.
Regards,
Gareth

Gareth Collins

Post by Gareth Collins » 10 Dec 2002, 21:13

PS: Tex Wheelis was fluent in German.

margotdarby

Re: Did Hermann Göring have any English skills?

Post by margotdarby » 11 Jun 2014, 02:16

T.R.Searle wrote:Did Hermann Göring have any English speaking skills,very fluent,a few words or nothing at all?

T.R.Searle :)

His first wife, Carin, was half-Swedish and half-Irish, so Carin was certainly a native English-speaker. Hermann moved so easily among Englishmen that his own English must have been pretty good. When he surrendered himself to the Americans he said, in English, that he understood English better than he spoke it.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”