What General Paulus was doing (and where) before (or in)1941

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
tom_deba

What General Paulus was doing (and where) before (or in)1941

Post by tom_deba » 05 Feb 2005, 18:38

Many books printed in Poland several years ago mention that General Paulus visited southern Poland probably before or exactly in 1941. Could it be true? I want to resolve that question that seems to be rumour for me as it is not confirmed by historic sources.

Maybe was he given special tasks to accomplish there?

I wait for your suggestions.

/tom/

Wilfried Abenaschon

Post by Wilfried Abenaschon » 06 Feb 2005, 01:11

Hello,

Can you be more specific? Where? Krakau? Lemberg?

Prior to take over the 6th Army, he was Oberquartiermeister (cannot remember the exact title) at the OKH.

Willab

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 06 Feb 2005, 07:08

Halder also sent him on a fact finding mission to North Africa in April 1941.He spent two weeks with Rommel,observing as well the fighting at Tobruk.

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 06 Feb 2005, 12:02

Hallo PeterH.,

25.04.1941 - 11.05.1941 Inspektion der Afrikafront

DZ :D

VJK

Post by VJK » 06 Feb 2005, 12:39

Hi Tom!

Paulus was appointed Oberquartiermeister I (O Qu I) - Deputy Chief of the General Staff on 3. September, 1940. One of his main tasks was to conduct a strategic survey for the invasion of the Soviet Union. The following is an excerpt from his interrogation at the trial of major war criminals:

"On 3rd September, 1940, I took office with the High Command of the Army as Quartermaster-Genereal of the General Staff. As such I was deputy to the Chief of the General Staff, and had in addition to carry out the instructions of a general operational nature which he delegated to me.

When I took office I found in my sphere of work, among other things, a still incomplete operational plan dealing with an attack on the Soviet Union. This operational plan had been worked out by the then Brigadier-General Marx, Chief of the General Staff of the 18th Army, who for this purpose had been temporarily transferred to the Land Forces High Command. The Chief of the Land Forces, General Staff, General Halder, turned over to me the continuation of the work which was ordered by the Armed Forces High Command, on the following basis:

An investigation was to be made as to the possibilities of an attack against the Soviet Union, with regard to the terrain, the strength of the attack, the manpower needed, and so forth. In addition it was stated that altogether about 130 to 140 German divisions would be available for this operation. It was furthermore to be taken into consideration that from the beginning, Roumanian territory was to be utilised for the deployment of the German Southern Army. On the Northern flank the participation of Finland in the war was taken into account, but was ignored by the army in the preparation of this passive plan.

Then, in addition, as a basis for the plan which was to be worked out, the aims -- the instructions of the O.K.W. -- were given:

(i) The destruction of those parts of the Russian Army stationed in the West of Russia, and the prevention of the escape of complete units deep into Russia.

(ii) The reaching of a line from which the Russian Air Force would be unable to attack German territory effectively, and the final aim was the reaching of the Volga-Archangel line.

The operational plan which I just outlined was completed at the beginning of November and was followed by two manoeuvres, with the command of which the General Staff entrusted me. Senior officers of the Land Forces High Command were also assigned. The basic strength requirements assumed in these manoeuvres were: The launching of an Army Group South of the Pripet territory, specifically from Southern Poland and from Roumanian territory, with the aim of reaching the Dnieper-Kiev line; North of the Pripet territory another Army Group, the strongest, from the area around Warsaw and Northward, with the general direction of attack being the Minsk-Smolensk line, the intention being to direct it against Moscow later; then a further Army Group namely Army Group North, from the area of East Prussia, with the initial direction of attack being through the Baltic States toward Leningrad."
(Source: http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/imt/tgmwc/tg ... 56-08.html )

As can be seen, Paulus commanded the manoeuvres in Poland in November 1940.

Regards,

VJK

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 06 Feb 2005, 18:30

The "myth" or "rumour" or "unconfirmed fact" about General Paulus who was said to have visited Distrikt Krakau before 1941 or later is very popular. I have interviewed many persons who claimed that they were convinced that General Paulus had been there (Distrikt Krakau). Some of interviewed people (everyone says his own vision of facts, hehehehe) said that they had had opportunity to see Paulus personally. All these interviewed persons are people from different places of Distrikt Krakau. The more persons I interview the more different facts I have!

Can it be true?

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”