Heinz Junge

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
drmessimer

Heinz Junge

Post by drmessimer » 02 Mar 2005, 04:03

Heinz Junge was a co-defendant with Erich Killinger in the so-called DuLag Luft War Crimes Trial, 28 November-3 December 1945 in Wuppertal. Heinz Junge was an artillery officer from 1910-1914 and was an aviator during WWI. He was taken prisoner in February 1918. Between the wars he lived in South America and was at one time the senior member of the Focke-Wulf export department. In 1938 he was aboard FW200 D-ACON when she flew from Berlin to Tokyo, 28-30 November 1938. On the return trip the airplane suffered an unexplained loss of fuel and crashed off Manila.

Here is what I need to know about Heinz Junge:
1. Was he a pilot or an observer during WWI, and to which squadron was he assigned?
2. Does anyone have the details of the 1938 Berlin-Tokyo flight? What I need are the names of the people aboard the plane. I know that the pilots were Alfred Henke and Rudolph von Moreau. I have a source that says that the Berlin director of Focke-Wulf was also aboard, but I do not have his name.

Thanks. Dwight R. Messimer

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 02 Mar 2005, 05:10

Dwight,

In the source cited below, the author notes a Leutnant Heinz Junge received the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross for Distinction in War 1st Class on 15 December 1915 for service in Feldflieger-Abteilung 38. Unfortunately, that’s the extent of the information about him in this book.

Best regards,
Shawn

SOURCE: O’Connor, Neal W. Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany in World War I and the Men Who Earned Them – Volume VII: The Aviation Awards of the Eight German States and the Three Free Cities. Schiffer Publishing, Ltd., Atglen, Pennsylvania, 2002.

drmessimer

Heinz Junge

Post by drmessimer » 02 Mar 2005, 05:22

Shawn: Thanks for that information. That must be him because the Feldfliegerabteilungen carried out reconnaissance, photography, and artillery fire control missions and the occasional bombing mission. Now I need to know if he was a pilot or an observer, I suspect he was the latter. But now that I have his squadron number I can [hopefully] track down that information.
Thanks again for your help. Dwight R. Messimer

Gwestring2

Re: Heinz Junge

Post by Gwestring2 » 20 Jan 2023, 21:25

Heinz Junge was my grandfather. He was an observer on World War I

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”