Maybach II Zossen & OTL Werner Schrader (Abwehr)

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
valkyrie

Maybach II Zossen & OTL Werner Schrader (Abwehr)

Post by valkyrie » 24 Mar 2005, 18:54

Does anyone have any info on the usage of the Maybach II buildings and bunkers at Zossen. Specifically I am trying to ascertain which of the 11 structures were used by the Abwehr. I understand that 7 were allocated as a back-up Führerhauptquartier but were never occupied. I presume that these 7 buildings would not have been allocated to any other unit in case of a change of mind re. the intended primary use.

I have Kampe's book on Zossen but it concentrates on the Zeppelin bunker and Maybach I - and provides virtually nothing on Maybach II.

Also, does anyone have any photos of this facility? All the Zossen photos I can find on the net are of Maybach I (apparently Maybach II is in much worse condition).

I am researching Oberstleutnant Werner Schrader (Abwehr) who shot himself in Maybach II on July 20,1944, after becoming implicated in the bomb plot. I recently acquired several papers relating to Schrader, including his death certificate. I can post a copy if anyone is interested.

Any help gratefully received.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 24 Mar 2005, 21:57

One of these may be your man. Unfortunately for researchers, the Heer rarely used first names in documents other than personnel documents, so the first names of these individuals is not known (by me).

SCHRADER,
1944 Maj., in Aust Rennes.
06.44 Maj., Leiter of FAT 354 in Rennes from 02.44 to 08.44.
10.44 Maj., deputy Leiter Alst III Südost (to 05.45).

SCHRADER,
1942-43 Maj., AO III in Kiev.
10.43 Maj., appointed AO III/AOK 16 (to 11.44).

SCHRADER, Dr.,
01.04.41 Obstlt., in OKW/Abw III.

SCHRÄTER,
11.40 Maj., I i/I G in Ast WK Generalgouvernement.

HTH,

--Larry

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 24 Mar 2005, 22:29

Thanks Larry - doesn't look like any of these are the right fellow as the ranks don't coincide with the salutations I have on docs. I have dating from throughout the war (plus some of them were still around after July 28, 1944 - but thanks for the effort). I have requested Schrader's service record from Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) and will post it when it arrives if anyone cares (don't hold your breath though as these guys are slowish). The best source I've found on him so far is Höhne's "Canaris."

But I'm still after more detail on Maybach II.

Thanks

Colin

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 25 Mar 2005, 00:01

It would be possible to find your man is the collection cited below, but it would take weeks, result in the researcher suffering such severe eyestrain as to possible warrant a diagnosis of pre-glaucoma from an opthomologist, and possibly even result in the researcher's suicide. I know; I've been through all 39,975 pages, and even twice on some of the material. Never again! 8)

• Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, Abteilung für Wehrmachtpropaganda; 57 folders (Geheim-Akten) of “Personalveränderungen” (officer promotions, reassignments, discharges, temporary assignments, etc.) for the Heer, Luftwaffe and, to a much lesser extent, the Kriegsmarine. The 39,976 pages in the collection cover Apr 1939 to Oct 1943 plus a single folder for Aug 1944, but is incomplete, especially for the Luftwaffe. The 26 rolls of microfilm can be found in, NARA WashDC: RG 242/T-77 rolls 937-963, filmed continuously from 4407277 – 4447252.

--Larry

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 25 Mar 2005, 00:31

Thanks Larry:

I'll pay the pros to dig out the data for me....even if it takes months.

Cheers

Colin

mulisch

Post by mulisch » 25 Mar 2005, 08:17

Hello valkyrie,

...wie der von Canaris ins Hauptquartier entsandte Oberstleutnant Werner Schrader, der sich schon 1931 als Mitglied des ,,Stahlhelm" aus Widerspruch gegen die NSDAP gegen die Gründung der Harzburger Front gewandt hatte und sich schliesslich als Verwahrer des Sprengstoffes am 28. Juli 1944 erschoss..

(source: 20. Juli 1944)

Regards,

Mulisch

Oberstleutnant

Re:

Post by Oberstleutnant » 04 Apr 2014, 22:11

Hello Colin,

Have you ever received a response from WASt in regards to Schrader? I would be most interested in any information you might have, particularly in regards to units he served with in WW1 and Auszeichnungen he received during his years of service. I have a particular interest in Schrader and any additional information, documents or photos you might have copies of and be willing to share would be most welcome.

Craig

valkyrie

Re: Maybach II Zossen & Oberstleutnant Werner Schrader (Abwe

Post by valkyrie » 05 Apr 2014, 16:35

Sent you a PM Oberstleutnant.

Colin

valkyrie

Re: Maybach II Zossen & OTL Werner Schrader (Abwehr)

Post by valkyrie » 12 Apr 2014, 07:03

And my email address today.

Colin

Oberhessin

Post by Oberhessin » 12 Apr 2014, 07:12

It is possible to join a guided tour through the buildings in Zossen now. The guide said, that there is still the place of the safe where a part of the Canaris files were held. And the place he shot himself. Unfortunately we were there on a summer evening so everything of this places were closed.
Since I have wrote about Schrader and talked with his son I would be interested to join your mail communication, Gentlemen.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Apr 2014, 15:31

I've taken the tour of Maybach I and Zeppelin. In the museum there I took a photo of a plan that labeled the use of all the Maybach I buildings, and there was a note at the bottom that said they didn't have a similar list for Maybach II because they didn't know what each building was used for.

Maybach II was behind a fenced off area so I didn't try to go there, but it looks like there is not much there now in the way of intact ruins: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=52.18222 ... 1&t=h&z=16 .

In contrast to Maybach I, where you can pick out all the ruined buildings from above: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=52.19310 ... 1&t=h&z=16 .

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 14 Apr 2014, 18:07

As I understand it, Maybach II is inaccessible due to lack of explosives clearance. There is very little left of the huts as a very good job was done of demolishing them. The safe memorial to the Zosse Akten and Schrader does not appear to be located in the spot where the original safe was set, nor is it the original safe (I have heard that it was but I expect this is an urban myth). If it was the original safe, it whould be in a museum, not rusting in a field. Thanks for the info that they didn't know the original use of the Maybach II buildings - I guess I can stop my search now.

Colin

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”